Wang the Drum Slowly
Runey Davis reached base twice on a double and a walk and scored two runs, leading the EXST Cubs to a 7-2 victory over the EXST A’s in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Papago Park Field #2 in Phoenix this morning.
The game was a pre-planned 7-1/2 affair with the Cubs playing as the “home” team even though the game was played at the A’s minor league complex, because the A’s only had enough healthy and rested pitchers available to throw seven innings, while the Cubs needed at least eight opponent's innings to get their scheduled pitchers enough work.
Rebel Ridling (appendectomy with complications) once again was a DH, getting five Plate Appearances in the first six innings. He struck out twice and bounced out weakly two other times, before ripping an RBI single to left in his fifth and final AB.
19-year old 6’0 180 Taiwanese RHP Yao-Lin Wang made his first EXST appearance, going three innings and allowing one run on six hits and a walk. He helped himself by getting a clutch strikeout after the A’s loaded the bases in the 1st inning, and his teammates helped him in the 3rd inning, turning an inning-ending 5-4-3 DP with two runners on base.
There are two Wangs from Taiwan at Extended Spring Training with the Cubs. Yao-Lin (today’s pitcher) is slightly younger and a LOT shorter. (Both Wangs were signed last summer by ex-Cub LHP Steve Wilson, who is now the Cubs Pacific Rim Scouting Coordinator).
Here is today’s abridged box score (EXST Cubs players only):
NOTE: DH #1 Rebel Ridling batted in five of the first six innings, getting five Plate Appearances total in the game.
X. Rebel Ridling, DH #1: 1-5 (4-3, K+WP, K, 1-3, 1B, R, RBI)
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 0-2 (1-3, 6-3, BB, R, RBI)
2. D. J. Fitzgerald, LF: 1-3 (F-9, K, 1B, 2 RBI)
3. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 1-3 (L-4, 2B, K)
5. Jonathan Mota, C-DH: 0-3 (P-5, 6-3, P-6)
6. Runey Davis, RF: 1-1 (2B, BB, 2 R)
7. Jae-Hoon Ha, DH-C: 1-1 (F-7 SF, 1B, R, RBI)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-2 (P-5, 1B, R)
9. Rafael Disla, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, R, RBI)
10a. Cody Shields, DH #3: 0-0 (BB)
10b. Albert Hernandez, PH: 0-0 (BB)
1. Yao-Lin Wang – 3.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 3/4 GO/FO, 50 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Jesse Ginley – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/FO, 28 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Rogelio Carmona – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/5 GO/FO, 34 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Yohan Gonzalez – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 12 pitches (6 strikes)
SS Wes Darvill E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base – did not score)
Jae-Hoon Ha – 2 PB
ATTENDANCE: 2 (but the other guy left early, probably because he wanted to beat the traffic out of the parking lot)
WEATHER: Overcast and blustery, temperatures in the 60’s (obviously held the crowd down)
1. I hate the fact that after 162 games, a team could be out after 1 game. However, I think the system is pretty close to perfect right now. 2 of 3 isn't feasible unless they shorten the regular season, and it ices the division winners for way too long. This creates excitement, and rewards the division winners.
Call me lost.
I just noticed the Dodger's payroll today. It is just absurd. $300,000,000+!!
Here is where just some of their money is for 2015:
Carl Crawford $20MM
Brandon McCarthy $17MM
Bronson Arroyo $3.5MM
Darwin B $2.2MM
Dan Haren $10MM
Matt Kemp $18MM
Brian Wilson $10MM
Ryan Webb $2.2MM
Dee Gordon $2.5MM
Enjoyable read on David Ross.
Er, they won the first one. My bad. Carry on.
With last night's win in Pittsburgh, the Cubs have tied the Pirates with 98 wins, and are only 2-1/2 games behind the Cardinals. No reason why the Cubs can't finish the post-season with the best winning percentage in baseball (regular season & post-season combined).
BOB: I doubt very much that Matt Szczur will be on the Cubs LDS roster.
If he wasn't on the Wild Card roster (when the Cubs went with 15 position players), he won't be on the LDS roster (when the Cubs will go with 13 or 14 position players).
As it is, at least one of the three RH hitting outfielders who were on the Cubs WC roster (Denorfia, Jackson, and Soler) could get bumped off the LDS roster (probably Soler).