All Good: Cubs 5 Brewers 1.

So, just how much good stuff happened in this Saturday night game?

(Click on image for full-size version)

First off, Ted Lilly.

Bob and Len kept saying he looked pretty rusty.  But godDAMN, he shut out the big bats of the Milwaukee Brewers for 6 innings in his first game back from shoulder surgery! If that's rusty then uh, I'll take rusty. He struck out Prince Fielder 3 times. He finished strong in his last inning with a groundout by Ryan Braun, a backwards K by Prince, and an easy pop fly by Casey McGehee on maybe 7-8 total pitches. Yep, a couple walks earlier but still, he looks like the man with guts the Cubs have been missing.

Marlon Byrd has been hotter than what my root canal feels like right now (I'm sooo about to take another vicadin).

Did you see his slide into home in game 1? Just get the hell out of the way. For some reason, maybe the way he moves or his shape or something...reminds me of Gary Mathews (not the current one but rather "The Sarge" one). Just a big freakin' gamer, that guy. Byrd goes 3 for 5 tonight, and others staying hot would be Theriot and Soto with a couple hits each.

Time will tell, but maaaaybe this Big Z in the bullpen thing is exactly what the team needed. I guess he seemed nonplussed after, but he looked pumped coming in... he's also suddenly like a pretty dangerous pinch hitter coming in late in the game. And if you're the Other Guys, having Carlos Zambrano show up on the 8th inning mound all fresh like that has got to be a hope-dasher.

Except for Xavier Nady leaving the bases loaded and John Grabow slowly turning into this year's Bob Howry, this was just fun to watch and a great game all the way around. Even Alfonso Soriano got a shout-out from Bob Brenly for running out a weak grounder and getting a single out of it. (I know, I know...)

And then I checked the Hawks score online and they pulled out one of those games you just wish you could have been at: a 5-4 overtime W that leaves Nashville a game away from going home.

And THEN, I saw an article about the Bears draft - someone please tell me how in the world the Bears could get publicly blasted for their draft in a year when they weren't even really at the table? They only had 5 total picks, all of them late.

Oh yeah.

I forgot about that boob Jerry Angelo!

Oh well, the Cubs just ruled, and maybe with young Randy Wells on the mound we'll see A SWEEP today!

Go Cubs.

Comments

I miss the TLFC predictions.

Favorite Cub moment of 2010 so far: That Byrd slide into home and then just Byrd in general. Len and Bob rightfully pointed it out the slide for it's bowling ballishness.

because he's "only" 6ft tall people mistake his weight and semi-baggy uniform for pudge...the dude is a solid rock of muscle.

catcher is lucky he only made contact with that blocking leg rather than upper torso.

My father used to call Kirby Puckett "The Human Manhole Cover"... I am waiting for him to come up with one for Byrd.

Midget Glennallen Hill

Really nice artwork there. Have you thought about making a book? I am sure that a lot of fans in Cubdumb would love one for Christmas.

"Cubdumb" -- an unfortunate moniker.

Hi Neal,
Hey, you makin' fun of my target market?
Of course I've thought about it.
But I haven't had time to follow up.
Hopefully some publisher sees this stuff and emails me an offer - a giant hardcover coffee table book with loads of cash.

• Chapman shouldn't be reserved anymore on 40 man.

chitownmvp01 57 min 25 sec ago view
  • Interesting split on Heyward according to ESPN. As a CF, his slash line .292/.363/.375/.738. At RF: .212/.204/.300/.604. 21/72 as a CF, 58/273 as a RF.

He's also been better when batting 2nd, but he had a nice start in the 6 hole, but has slumped ever since. He was heating up before the All Star break, but is only hitting .108 in the 2nd half.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 5 min ago view
  • When we played the Reds with Chapman, I always thought of it as an eight-inning game. So now other teams have eight innings to try to get a lead against the Cubs. Should be a challenge, assuming three or four Cubs ever start hitting again.

I don't really try to get to know and like these players personally. I'm rooting for laundry, for the most part. Exceptions might be when a player makes trouble in the clubhouse or in the dugout. (Zambrano and Bradley come to mind. Also Papelbon.) But I don't think Chapman is one of those jerks.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 38 min ago view
  • Unfortunately, a pretty good summary. It looks like next year Heyward will be getting yet another batting stance adjustment.

The recent good news has been Baez. I'm afraid about the next league adjustment on him, though, which is probably right around the corner.

Bryant I don't worry about too much. Just not seeing the ball well right now. He'll turn it around. Russell's been good with men in scoring position all year and he's 22ish. He'll be fine but next year is likely to be his breakout year.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 17 hours 4 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 17 hours 20 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 23 hours 17 min ago view