All Good: Cubs 5 Brewers 1.

So, just how much good stuff happened in this Saturday night game?

(Click on image for full-size version)

First off, Ted Lilly.

Bob and Len kept saying he looked pretty rusty.  But godDAMN, he shut out the big bats of the Milwaukee Brewers for 6 innings in his first game back from shoulder surgery! If that's rusty then uh, I'll take rusty. He struck out Prince Fielder 3 times. He finished strong in his last inning with a groundout by Ryan Braun, a backwards K by Prince, and an easy pop fly by Casey McGehee on maybe 7-8 total pitches. Yep, a couple walks earlier but still, he looks like the man with guts the Cubs have been missing.

Marlon Byrd has been hotter than what my root canal feels like right now (I'm sooo about to take another vicadin).

Did you see his slide into home in game 1? Just get the hell out of the way. For some reason, maybe the way he moves or his shape or something...reminds me of Gary Mathews (not the current one but rather "The Sarge" one). Just a big freakin' gamer, that guy. Byrd goes 3 for 5 tonight, and others staying hot would be Theriot and Soto with a couple hits each.

Time will tell, but maaaaybe this Big Z in the bullpen thing is exactly what the team needed. I guess he seemed nonplussed after, but he looked pumped coming in... he's also suddenly like a pretty dangerous pinch hitter coming in late in the game. And if you're the Other Guys, having Carlos Zambrano show up on the 8th inning mound all fresh like that has got to be a hope-dasher.

Except for Xavier Nady leaving the bases loaded and John Grabow slowly turning into this year's Bob Howry, this was just fun to watch and a great game all the way around. Even Alfonso Soriano got a shout-out from Bob Brenly for running out a weak grounder and getting a single out of it. (I know, I know...)

And then I checked the Hawks score online and they pulled out one of those games you just wish you could have been at: a 5-4 overtime W that leaves Nashville a game away from going home.

And THEN, I saw an article about the Bears draft - someone please tell me how in the world the Bears could get publicly blasted for their draft in a year when they weren't even really at the table? They only had 5 total picks, all of them late.

Oh yeah.

I forgot about that boob Jerry Angelo!

Oh well, the Cubs just ruled, and maybe with young Randy Wells on the mound we'll see A SWEEP today!

Go Cubs.

Comments

I miss the TLFC predictions.

Favorite Cub moment of 2010 so far: That Byrd slide into home and then just Byrd in general. Len and Bob rightfully pointed it out the slide for it's bowling ballishness.

because he's "only" 6ft tall people mistake his weight and semi-baggy uniform for pudge...the dude is a solid rock of muscle.

catcher is lucky he only made contact with that blocking leg rather than upper torso.

My father used to call Kirby Puckett "The Human Manhole Cover"... I am waiting for him to come up with one for Byrd.

Midget Glennallen Hill

Really nice artwork there. Have you thought about making a book? I am sure that a lot of fans in Cubdumb would love one for Christmas.

"Cubdumb" -- an unfortunate moniker.

Hi Neal,
Hey, you makin' fun of my target market?
Of course I've thought about it.
But I haven't had time to follow up.
Hopefully some publisher sees this stuff and emails me an offer - a giant hardcover coffee table book with loads of cash.

• There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 1 hour 37 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 1 hour 46 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

billybucks 1 hour 46 min ago view
  • Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.

• He reminds me of a little of a young guy currently on the Cubs' DL, who is also tank-like in appearance.

• draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.

filter by team.

• Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79

QuietMan 13 hours 17 min ago view
  • Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.

• Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?

On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!

• - The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
    - Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
    - There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
    - We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
    - We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
    EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.

Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
    Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.

• Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?

• I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues

Eric S 16 hours 45 min ago view
  • HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...

• "The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."

Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!

Brick 16 hours 53 min ago view
  • "Drink copiously but responsibly."

Done and done. Thanks for that.

Brick 16 hours 54 min ago view