Angels Withstand Cub Comeback at Extended Spring Training
Runey Davis reached base three times, scored two runs, knocked-in another, and stole a base, but the EXST Angels scored two runs in the 8th to take the lead after the EXST Cubs had clawed their way back from a 6-0 deficit to tie the game in the 6th, and held-on to defeat the Cubs 8-6 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this morning.
With two hits today, Davis raised his EXST batting average to .353 (.450 OBP), and with his speed and the ability to play all three OF positions, I would think Davis (the Cubs 2009 12th round pick out of JUCO World Series champion Howard JC) is a strong candidate to get promoted to Peoria.
RHP Eduardo Figueroa got the start today for the Cubs and had a very poor outing, allowing six runs (four earned) on six hits and two walks (plus a WP) in just 1.0+ IP. But RHP Yohan Gonzalez threw three innings of shutout relief (lowering his ERA to 1.29 and his WHIP to 0.86) and RHP Jadel Mendez followed Gonzo with two innings of shutout relief to keep the Cubs in the game. Mendez allowed three hits in his two innings of work, inducing two timely double plays to get out of jams.
EXST Cubs co-closer Rogelio Carmona entered the game with the score tied, and picked-up the loss after allowing two runs on a double, a triple, and two walks.
2009 5th round draft pick Wes Darvill (Langley, BC) committed his team-leading 5th error (two errors so far at SS, and three at 2B), leading to two unearned runs (although he did go 1-3 to raise his BA to .200), and Jae-Hoon Ha was charged with his 5th Passed Ball. (Ha was a catcher in HS in Korea, then was moved to RF after he signed with the Cubs in 2008, and then was moved back to catcher last September in the AZ Instructional League)
Here is today’s abridged box score (EXST Cubs players only):
1. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 0-3 (F-9, BB, 5-3, K, R, SB)
2. Vismeldy Bieneme, DH-2B: 0-3 (K, BB, K, 4-3, R)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-4 (L-9, 2B, 1-3, F-7, RBI)
4. Brandon May, 1B: 0-2 (BB, L-8 SF, K, 4-3, R, RBI)
5. Charles Thomas, 3B: 1-4 (E-6, 3-U, 1-3, 1B)
6. Jae-Hoon Ha, DH-C: 1-4 (4-6-3 GIDP, 1B, F-7, 6-4-3 GIDP, PO)
7. Runey Davis, CF: 2-2 (1B, BB, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB, CS)
8a. Carlos Romero, C: 1-2 (1B, 1-3, RBI)
8b. Bobby Wagner, PH: 0-0 (BB, R)
9. Wes Darvill, 2B-DH: 1-3 (1B, E-6, 6-3)
10a. Cody Shields, LF: 1-2 (1B, F-9, PO)
10b. Albert Hernandez, LF: 0-1 (K)
1. Eduardo Figueroa – 1.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/FO, 48 pitches (26 strikes)
2. Yohan Gonzalez – 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 3/4 GO/FO, 46 pitches (27 strikes)
3. Jadel Mendez – 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2 GIDP, 5/1 GO/FO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Rogelio Carmona – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 43 pitches (27 strikes)
2B Wes Darvill E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base and runner on 1st base to advance to 3rd base – both subsequently scored unearned runs)
Carlos Romero: 0-1 CS
Jae-Hoon Ha: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and VERY breezy with winds gusting up to 30 MPH, with temperatures in the 60’s
J-Hey not finishing with an offensive onslaught.
If Geoff Blum could be a Playoff hero, there is hope still...
Giants scare me. I think you're wrong about Bumgarner, he would pitch on short rest for Game 2 and then full rest for Game 5. Cueto would go Game 1, then short rest in game 4. Add in some really tough outs in that lineup and I want nothing to do with them. With that rotation they can easily steal a series.
Cards are a tough matchup. The rivalry evens out their comparable lack of talent. And like someone said, they love HRs, which is how to beat the Cubs. The upside is that I would feel really good about Lester twice against STL.
j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er
zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8
heyward 0-4 :(
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales
Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says
Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.
I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.
The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.
I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.
I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.
With that said in reverse order:
3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.
2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.