Cubs Youngsters Face Freddy Sanchez Again at Extended Spring Training
Pin-Chieh Chen had two hits and scored a run, Rafael Disla reached base twice and scored two runs, and Sergio Burruel drove-in two runs with a sacrifice fly and a double, but it wasn’t anywhere near enough offense as one squad of EXST Giants defeated one squad of EXST Cubs 6-3 on Field #1, while over on Field #2, the other squad of EXST Cubs managed only one run on two hits against the other squad of EXST Giants in a game that finished in a 1-1 tie, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning. Both games were stopped after seven innings, and the games were played simultaneously.
San Francisco Giants 2B Freddy Sanchez (knee and shoulder surgeries) continued his minor league rehab assignment with the EXST Giants, playing 2B and batting in five of the seven innings in the game on Field #2. Peoria RHP Marcus Hatley, getting into his first game action since undergoing Tommy John Surgery last September, struck out Sanchez (swinging) on a 2-2 pitch with runners on 1st and 3rd and no outs in the bottom of the 1st. Sanchez then ripped a single off LHP John Mincone with one out in the bottom of the 2nd (but was erased on an inning-ending 5-4-3 DP) and reached base again against Mincone on an E-4 (should have been a 4-6-3 DP) in the bottom of the 4th. Sanchez struck out (swinging) against RHP Jadel Mendez with one out and the bases empty in the bottom of the 6th, and grounded out 6-3 in his final AB against RHP Yohan Gonzalez with one out and nobody on base in the bottom of the 7th. So for the day, Sanchez went 1-5, with a single and two strikeouts.
Iowa Cubs 1B-OF Jason Dubois (placed on the I-Cubs 7-day DL with back spasms a couple of weeks ago) got a rehab start (as a DH) with the Cubs squad on Field #2, batting 3rd in both the top of the 1st and top of the 2nd. He struck out swinging in the 1st, and grounded out to shortstop (RBI) in the top of the 2nd. He then left the game and returned to Fitch Park. I don’t know if the plan was for him to get only two ABs and then go back to Mesa (which would be unusual), or if he maybe was pulled from the game because he did not feel he could continue. But his swing did look a bit stiff in the early-morning pre-game BP session at Fitch Park before the team traveled to Scottsdale.
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, DH: 2-4 (1B, 1B, P-6, 1-3, R)
2. Rafael Disla, SS: 1-1 (5-3 SH, 1B, BB, 2 R)
3. Sergio Burruel, C: 1-2 (F-9 SF, 2B, E-9, 2 RBI)
4. Charles Thomas, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, 5-3, K)
5. Alvaro Ramirez, CF: 0-3 (4-3, L-9, K)
6. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, BB, P-5)
7. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, F-9)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 0-3 (6-3, 6-4-3 GIDP, 1-3)
9. Blair Springfield, LF: 0-3 (4-3, F-9, K)
1. Hector Mayora – 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (8 strikes)
2. Luis Liria – 2.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 48 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Jose Rosario – 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 BALK, 1 PO, 4/2 GO/FO, 37 pitches (25 strikes)
4. Rogelio Carmona - 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
1. 2B Arismendy Alcantara E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. 2B Arismendy Alcantara E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base – did not score)
3. P Luis Liria E-1 (errant pick-off throw at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
Sergio Burruel: 1-3 CS, 1 PB, 1 PO (at 1st base)
NOTE: DH Jason Dubois batted 3rd in both the 1st and 2nd innings, and then left the game
X. Jason Dubois, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 6-3, RBI)
1. Runey Davis, CF: 0-3 (F-9, 3-U, K)
2. Jae-Hoon Ha, DH #2: 0-2 (F-9, BB, F-8)
3a. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-1 (BB, 2B, R)
3b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED IN TOP OF THE 6th ALTHOUGH MORELLI REMAINED IN RF
4a. Brandon May, 3B: 0-1 (L-4, HBP)
4b. Carlos Romero, PR-1B: 0-1 (K)
5. Bobby Wagner, 1B-3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
6. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, K)
7. Luis Flores: 0-2 (BB, F-9, F-7)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (P-4, E-5, 5-3)
9. Cody Shields, LF: 0-3 (E-6, K, 6-3)
1. Marcus Hatley – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
2. John Mincone – 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 5/2 GO/FO, 42 pitches (29 strikes)
3. Jadel Mendez - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Yohan Gonzalez - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 9 pitches (8 strikes)
2B Vismeldy Bieneme E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base and runner at 1st base to advance to 3rd base – eventually resulted in unearned run)
Luis Flores: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70’s
14 in attendance. What's the record for attendance in the fall? I guess I should ask what the record attendance listed is in one of your recaps.
I was there too, with my grown son. This is my miracle year-- I rose to the top of the season ticket list after eight years, completely unexpectedly, and my wonderful wife agreed to put the ticket fee on the emergency credit card. The whole point of course was that the Cubs were going to be good this year, and then for a while, so to get season tickets with the guaranteed shot at the postseason was incredible timing. We got to the remote lot at 4:10 after stopping at Nhu Lan for our usual banh mi sandwiches, only to find the lot full, way earlier than normal.
Wrigley was electric tonite
Not many card fans
Video board was great, they played "there goes my hero" by foos over ryno highlights before he came out. Spectacular
Good times hopefully they win tomorrow but think Lester will beat poopy pants on Wednesday.
Happy 4th anniversary of Theo's signing
Go Cubs !
Yeah. "Goodbye!" is a lame HR call.
I miss Len and JD -- although, driving home from a friend's, WBBM played all 6 HR calls in a row -- and Len got to call the Bryant/Rizzo back-to-back. Very fun.
Lackey has been a beast against us. His stats on 3 days rest, however, not as nice. There is plenty of hope.
And, no dreadlocks grown yet.
Captain Obvious Strikes Again!!!
In the wild card game he mentioned that aram started with the Pirates, then played for the Brewers, and now he's back with the Pirates. Uhhhh, missed a step there, guy.
i like ron darling the person, the interview, and the studio desk guy...but him calling a game can lead to some really stupid stuff coming out of his mouth.
If you think these announcers are bad ,the ones doing the Mets vs Dodgers (Ron Darling ,Cal Ripken and someone else)
are worse they did the wildcard game I never knew Joe Jackson and Derrick Fowler played for the Cubs this year you
would think there would be research by them.
Soler's OPS in the NLDS? 3.750.
...and HRs are good.
Theo: "So, let's see...should we put Soler on the post-season roster? Ummmm, yeah, I mean what the hell."
Wow -- if he can bring that focus and plate discipline next year -- yowza! Seems like Manny has really helped him.
1st team hit hit 6HR in a game in the postseason. woo.