Angels Bedevil Cubs at Extended Spring Training
The EXST Angels hammered the EXST Cubs 11-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this morning.
The Cubs managed only three hits in the game, a 1st inning two-out RBI triple by Xavier Batista, a two-out Sergio Burruel single in the 5th, and a one-out single by Jesus Morelli in the 9th.
The pitchers also struggled, as RHP Yao-Lin Wang (five runs surrendered on three doubles, a triple, a walk, and two wild pitches in the top of the 2nd after a 1-2-3 1st inning), LHP Marcos Perez (four runs—three earned—on five singles and two doubles in three innings of work), and RHP Jadel Mendez (two runs allowed on two singles, a double, and a home run in two innings) were ineffective. RHP Corey Martin did throw two perfect innings once the game was no longer in doubt, but even he did not escape unscathed, as he was struck on the shin by a batted ball.
In ten EXST games played against the Angels so far, the Cubs are 1-7-2. (The EXST Cubs are 4-11-3 in games against the EXST Giants, 4-1-1 in games versus the EXST A's, and 1-1-1 in games played with the EXST Brewers).
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (1-3, BB, 4-3, 5-3)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 0-3 (E-5, E-4, K, HBP, R, SB)
3. Jesus Morelli, LF: 1-3 (K, K, BB, 1B)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (3B, K, K, K, RBI)
5. Luis Flores, C-DH: 0-4 (K, F-7, F-9, F-9)
6. Sergio Burruel, DH-C: 1-3 (L-1, 1B, F-7, CS)
7. Runey Davis, CF-DH: 0-2 (HBP, K, K)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 0-3 (6-4-3 GIDP, 6-3, 6-3)
9. Rafael Disla, 3B: 0-2 (P-5, BB, K)
10. Cody Shields, DH-CF: 0-3 (P-4, 3-U, 4-3)
1. Yao-Lin Wang – 1.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 1/0 GO/FO, 39 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Marcos Perez – 3.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 57 pitches (37 strikes)
3. Jadel Mendez - 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/3 GO/FO, 41 pitches (28 strikes)
4. Corey Martin - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 22 pitches (14 strikes)
1. 2B Pin Chieh Chen E-4 (overthrow at 1st base on infield single allowed batter to reach 2nd base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Marcos Perez E-1 (errant pick-off throw at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
Luis Flores: 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and cloudless with temperatures in the 80’s
Javy's grunge dive into the stands for the popup was awesome - the hitting into the double play not so much
Third time I've tried to post this (forgive me if it winds up appearing three times)
Junior Lake, batting 9th and playing RF for the Blue Jays...
*That was a fun HALF inning.
this game is no longer awesome.
he did...it was awesome.
I'm pretty sure that Len called Bryant's home run a Brexit.
everyone but heyward with a hit and a 3 run lead with coghlan on 3rd through 5 batters. hell yeah.
okay, this is just silly. 19 pitches in, 1 out, 4 runs in, men on 1st and 2nd...hendricks up to bunt.
...and almora contributes the final out. that was a fun inning.
this game is awesome already.
also, there's a lot of cubs fans in the park tonight.
Clearly, Joe Maddon is a Lineup Wizzard.
"Cubs manager Joe Maddon said Friday that Anthony Rizzo (back) is feeling better and it's "possible" the first baseman could return to the lineup Saturday."
Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.
how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?
Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd
J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora
The Cubs are currently down Schwarber, Fowler, Soler, and Rizzo and Montero appear to be day-to-day. Maybe not surprising that they are struggling a bit as they rely more than expected on Baez, Russell, Almora, Contreras, and Szczur to provide offensive value.
Joe: "I loved the way we brought it today, man. We'll take this every night and win a lot of ballgames like that. Losing 4 in a row...that's nothin'."