Angels Bedevil Cubs at Extended Spring Training
The EXST Angels hammered the EXST Cubs 11-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this morning.
The Cubs managed only three hits in the game, a 1st inning two-out RBI triple by Xavier Batista, a two-out Sergio Burruel single in the 5th, and a one-out single by Jesus Morelli in the 9th.
The pitchers also struggled, as RHP Yao-Lin Wang (five runs surrendered on three doubles, a triple, a walk, and two wild pitches in the top of the 2nd after a 1-2-3 1st inning), LHP Marcos Perez (four runs—three earned—on five singles and two doubles in three innings of work), and RHP Jadel Mendez (two runs allowed on two singles, a double, and a home run in two innings) were ineffective. RHP Corey Martin did throw two perfect innings once the game was no longer in doubt, but even he did not escape unscathed, as he was struck on the shin by a batted ball.
In ten EXST games played against the Angels so far, the Cubs are 1-7-2. (The EXST Cubs are 4-11-3 in games against the EXST Giants, 4-1-1 in games versus the EXST A's, and 1-1-1 in games played with the EXST Brewers).
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (1-3, BB, 4-3, 5-3)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 0-3 (E-5, E-4, K, HBP, R, SB)
3. Jesus Morelli, LF: 1-3 (K, K, BB, 1B)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (3B, K, K, K, RBI)
5. Luis Flores, C-DH: 0-4 (K, F-7, F-9, F-9)
6. Sergio Burruel, DH-C: 1-3 (L-1, 1B, F-7, CS)
7. Runey Davis, CF-DH: 0-2 (HBP, K, K)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 0-3 (6-4-3 GIDP, 6-3, 6-3)
9. Rafael Disla, 3B: 0-2 (P-5, BB, K)
10. Cody Shields, DH-CF: 0-3 (P-4, 3-U, 4-3)
1. Yao-Lin Wang – 1.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 1/0 GO/FO, 39 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Marcos Perez – 3.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 57 pitches (37 strikes)
3. Jadel Mendez - 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/3 GO/FO, 41 pitches (28 strikes)
4. Corey Martin - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 22 pitches (14 strikes)
1. 2B Pin Chieh Chen E-4 (overthrow at 1st base on infield single allowed batter to reach 2nd base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Marcos Perez E-1 (errant pick-off throw at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
Luis Flores: 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and cloudless with temperatures in the 80’s
I'm the man with the beard, names Arietta
Pitches hitting harder than a Beretta
I'm the modern day Bob Gibson, make hitters see crimson
So all you listen, I'm on a mission to get us in the position
To bring to Chicago something rarer than a black truffle
When me and my crew do the World Series Shuffle
It will be a tough night for hitters -- temps probably in the high 40s at Wrigley, with a breeze blowing in. Probably a good time to have Kyle going.
Use the edit button -- that last line should read "World Series Shuffle".
World Series Shuffle?
This team even has rap prospects!
If you look at the FIP and xFIP numbers, the Hendricks vs. Ross matchup doesn't look so bad for the Cubs.
Yeah, Baez got Maddon wanting that D.
That is a fair point. Man this team has crazy depth.
Man, with a 20-6 record, it doesn't seem right to complain about any aspect of this team. What are you expecting? A 26-0 record? I'm not saying that the Cubs are above critique, but I am saying any problems that might exist don't appear to be a major hindrance at the moment. To quote a great philosopher "numbers don't lie, check the scoreboard."
I also recall Joe talking about he liked the way Hendricks matches up on paper against Washington. Assuming it was Joe's doing his Jedi mind tricks thing.
Sergio Mitre??!! LOVE IT!
FREE MATT CLEMENT!
Imagine if Lester would just pitch nine innings every start.