Cubs Turn Tables on Angels at Diablo Park
Bobby Wagner lined a two-out RBI single to right to drive-in the tying run in the top of the 7th, and then Arismendy Alcantara and Vismeldy Bieneme stroked consecutive RBI singles in the top of the 8th to give the Cubs a two-run lead, as the EXST Cubs defeated the EXST Angels 3-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Diablo Park Field #3 at the Tempe Buttes this morning.
LHP John Mincone tossed 3.1 IP of shutout ball (throwing just 39 pitches in the process), allowing two baserunners (both singles). Over his past six outings (covering 18.2 IP), Mincone has allowed four runs (three earned) on 11 hits and two walks, with 12 strikeouts, a 1.45 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, and .169 OBA.
RHP Rogelio Carmona worked out of a bases-loaded jam (of his own making) in the bottom of the 9th to preserve the victory.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 2-3 (1B, BB, 6-3, 1B, RBI)
2. Alvaro Ramirez, CF: 0-3 (3-U SH, K, P-4, 5-3 GIDP)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, HBP, K, R, SB)
4. Xavier Batista, DH #1: 0-4 (K, 4-3 GIDP, K, K)
5. Bobby Wagner, DH #2: 2-4 (K, K, 1B, 1B, RBI)
6. Runey Davis, LF: 1-4 (5-3, K, 4-3, 2B)
7. George Matheus, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, F-9)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 1-3 (3-1, K, 1B, R)
9a. Carlos Romero, C: 0-2 (F-9, 1-3)
9b. Luis Flores, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
10a. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-2 (F-8, 1-3)
10b. Arismendy Alcantara, PH-SS: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
1. Marcus Hatley – 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2 HBP, 0/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (17 strikes)
2. John Mincone – 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/FO, 39 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Jose Rosario - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/FO, 29 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Jesse Ginley - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Rogelio Carmona - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 21 pitches (11 strikes)
1. CF Alvaro Ramirez E-8 (dropped line drive in CF allowing batter to reach base safely – did not score)
2. SS Wes Darvill E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score
Luis Flores: 1-1 CS
BASERUNNING MISADVENTURES: Runey Davis was thrown out 9-4-5 trying to stretch a double into a triple with two outs in the top of the 9th, so that what would have been the Cubs 4th run did not count because Davis was thrown out at 3rd base before baserunner Bobby Wagner crossed home plate.
WEATHER: Sunny and cloudless with temperatures in the 80’s
JOHN B: Pierce Johnson and Rob Zastryzny were likely 2015 AFL candidates ( I mentioned them as likely candidates to get assigned to the AFL in an article about the AFL last month) because they are starting pitchers who missed part of the season due to injuries and they need to accrue more innings. Guys who have been pitching regularly as starters have thrown too many innings to be considered, so it probably came down to Johnson, Zastryzny, and Duane Underwood Jr, with Underwood odd man out because he hasn't pitched above Hi-A.
extremely classy. i didn't see his reaction until the replay after the break. baseball needs more fun in some areas and less of some 'unwritten rules' violations leading to angst.
Nice bounce back game for Grimm, and "well done" Dan Haren. We'll take that (almost) every time.
I have never been a Brandon Phillips fan, but that was a very classy way to handle Strop yelling at him after the K.
go cubs go
You know you like it
AZ Phil: Any thoughts on the AFL Cubs? Some names on the list caught me by surprise.
"woo." - pedro strop
Well Ross is out, so they had to bring in Rodney
these ties and leads being immediately pissed away is getting old
btw, Madbum vs Groin-key tonight