Cubs Turn Tables on Angels at Diablo Park
Bobby Wagner lined a two-out RBI single to right to drive-in the tying run in the top of the 7th, and then Arismendy Alcantara and Vismeldy Bieneme stroked consecutive RBI singles in the top of the 8th to give the Cubs a two-run lead, as the EXST Cubs defeated the EXST Angels 3-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Diablo Park Field #3 at the Tempe Buttes this morning.
LHP John Mincone tossed 3.1 IP of shutout ball (throwing just 39 pitches in the process), allowing two baserunners (both singles). Over his past six outings (covering 18.2 IP), Mincone has allowed four runs (three earned) on 11 hits and two walks, with 12 strikeouts, a 1.45 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, and .169 OBA.
RHP Rogelio Carmona worked out of a bases-loaded jam (of his own making) in the bottom of the 9th to preserve the victory.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 2-3 (1B, BB, 6-3, 1B, RBI)
2. Alvaro Ramirez, CF: 0-3 (3-U SH, K, P-4, 5-3 GIDP)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, HBP, K, R, SB)
4. Xavier Batista, DH #1: 0-4 (K, 4-3 GIDP, K, K)
5. Bobby Wagner, DH #2: 2-4 (K, K, 1B, 1B, RBI)
6. Runey Davis, LF: 1-4 (5-3, K, 4-3, 2B)
7. George Matheus, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, F-9)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 1-3 (3-1, K, 1B, R)
9a. Carlos Romero, C: 0-2 (F-9, 1-3)
9b. Luis Flores, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
10a. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-2 (F-8, 1-3)
10b. Arismendy Alcantara, PH-SS: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
1. Marcus Hatley – 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2 HBP, 0/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (17 strikes)
2. John Mincone – 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/FO, 39 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Jose Rosario - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/FO, 29 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Jesse Ginley - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Rogelio Carmona - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 21 pitches (11 strikes)
1. CF Alvaro Ramirez E-8 (dropped line drive in CF allowing batter to reach base safely – did not score)
2. SS Wes Darvill E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score
Luis Flores: 1-1 CS
BASERUNNING MISADVENTURES: Runey Davis was thrown out 9-4-5 trying to stretch a double into a triple with two outs in the top of the 9th, so that what would have been the Cubs 4th run did not count because Davis was thrown out at 3rd base before baserunner Bobby Wagner crossed home plate.
WEATHER: Sunny and cloudless with temperatures in the 80’s
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother