Cubs & Giants Play Two at Extended Spring Training
The EXST Cubs and EXST Giants played a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning, with the Giants rallying with two runs in the bottom of the 7th to take the game played on Field #3 by a score of 4-2, while the other squads of Cubs and Giants played to a 4-4 tie on Field #4 as the Giants scored the tying run in the bottom of the 8th. (The game on Field #4 was stopped after eight innings).
Neither game was particularly noteworthy, except for Bobby Wagner making his debut as a catcher, AA Tennessee OF Brandon Guyer continuing his rehab (he had an RBI triple), and Jesus Morelli extending his hitting streak to 13 games on Field #3, and the Cubs committing eight errors (resulting in three unearned runs) in the game on Field #4.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Luis Flores has received his Letter of Transit and has moved up to Daytona. Flores hit 273/370/364 with 46% CS in 12 games since being reinstated from the Suspended List on April 26th.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
1a. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 1-3 (P-6, K, 2B)
1b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED ALTHOUGH BIENEME REMAINED IN GAME AT 3B
2. George Matheus, SS: 0-4 (6-3, 5-3, F-9, 5-3)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-4 (1B, F-9, 5-3, K, R)
4. Brandon Guyer, CF: 1-4 (3B, 4-3, K, K, RBI)
5a. Bobby Wagner, C: 0-1 (F-7)
5b. Carlos Romero, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3, CS)
6. Runey Davis, DH: 0-2 (BB, K, F-9, R)
7. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 0-2 (1-3, BB, L-9, CS)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 1-3 (K+WP, 1B+E9, F-8)
9. Cody Shields, LF: 0-2 (F-9 SF, K, F-8, RBI)
1. John Mincone – 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 3/6 GO/FO, 56 pitches (30 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Danny Keefe – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 26 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Alvaro Sosa – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
C Carlos Romero E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
1. Bobby Wagner: 0-1 CS
2. Carlos Romero: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF-RF: 1-3 (K+WP, BB, 1B, 3-2 FC)
2. Jae-Hoon Ha, RF-CF: 0-3 (K, F-7 SF, 5-4-3 GIDP, E-6, 2 RBI, SB)
3. Pin-Chieh Chen, 3B: 1-3 (E-3, F-9 SF, 1B, 4-3, RBI, CS)
4. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (P-4, K, K)
5. Alvaro Ramirez, LF: 1-3 (6-U FC, F-9, 1B, CS)
6. Chris Huseby, DH #1: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, K)
7a. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-2 (6-3, F-8)
7b. Jose Guevara, C: 0-1 (F-8)
8. Blair Springfield, 2B: 1-3 (6-3, K, 1B)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-2 (BB, K, 1B, 2 R)
10. Rafael Disla, DH #2: 1-2 (HBP, K, 1B, 2 R)
1. Luis Liria – 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 45 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Carlos Rojas – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 30 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Hector Mayora - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Rogelio Carmona – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Corey Martin - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (18 strikes)
1. C Sergio Burruel E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base – did not score)
2. 3B Pin-Chieh Chen E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
3. 3B Pin-Chieh Chen E-5 (two base throwing error at 1st base allowed batter to reach 2nd base and runner at 1st base to advance to 3rd base)
4. LF Alvaro Ramirez E-7 (fielding error in LF allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd – eventually scored unearned run)
5. P Hector Mayora E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base – did not score)
6. C Jose Guevara E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
7. 1B Xavier Batista E-3 (missed catch at 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
8. P Corey Martin E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner on 2nd base to advance to 3rd and runner on 1st base to advance to 2nd base)
1. Sergio Burruel: 2-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Jose Guevara: 1-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny, cloudless, and breezy, with temperatures in the 80’s
Didn't see the game, but it sounded like the Cubs gave away 2 runs with poor fielding. Bummer.
Well, it's been a fun diet of Reds, Brewers and Braves, but now the Cubs have to play real teams in May (Pirates, Nationals, SF, Cards and Dodgers) -- hope we are all still smiling when we wake up on Memorial Day.
He does seem out of synch. His body seems to start forward, then his arms sort of try to catch up -- if that's his normal swing, he will never hit for power. It's an all-arms slasher swing, but the timing seems off.
He is currently slugging .256 -- I realize the weather has been bad, but that's epically bad. Currently 92nd out of 94 qualified NL batters. Yikes.
Weird home stand -- 3-1, with 2 rainouts, vs. two teams that will lose 100 games. Feels oddly disappointing.
Miserable baseball weather all week -- hopefully better weather will get the bats going. Not just walking, but actually hitting.
That strike call on LaSterlla was terrible
I was hearing some talk that John Mallee is trying to change Heyward's swing. Wonder if that is lending itself to the slow start.
at least it wasn't a "nobody showed up" stomping.
anytime you wanna jumpstart your season would be nice, heyward.
Now looming VERY large. Game tied.
That Braves TOOTBLAN trying to stretch a double into a triple is looming very large.
Phil, do you know if Victorino has an opt out date approaching? Thanks.
Maybe he can even fall asleep/passout at a red light. #cardinalway
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.