Morelli Extends Hit Streak to 14 As Cubs Tarnish Angels at Fitch Park
Runey Davis drove-in four runs with a bases-loaded triple and an RBI single, Sergio Burruel knocked-in two more with a two-run single, and Jesus Morelli extended his hitting streak to 14 games with an RBI double, leading the EXST Cubs to an 8-4 victory over the EXST Angels in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #2 this morning in Mesa.
AA Tennessee OF Brandon Guyer (left arm injury) continued his EXST rehab by getting seven Plate Appearances in the game, and he made the most of them, too, reaching base six times on two singles, a double, two walks and a HBP. He also scored a run and drove one in, and then he stole a couple of bases for good measure. To prove he is mortal, Guyer got himself picked-off 1st base in the 4th.
AA Tennessee LHP Casey Lambert (2009 TJS) also continued his rehab this morning, throwing one inning (18 pitches), and allowing a run on a single, a HBP, a WP, and a ground out.
In EXST Cubs roster news, 21-year old Dominican RHP Frank Batista and 19-year old Korean OF Jae-Hoon Ha have been promoted to Peoria.
In 20.1 IP over seven EXST appearances (three GS), Batista had allowed 11 runs (but only five earned) on 19 hits, with a 2.21 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, .234 OBA, and a 4/16 BB/K and 21/22 GO/FO. Batista was the Cubs #1 pitcher in the Dominican Summer League in 2009.
Ha was hitting 350/378/600 with two doubles, two triples, one HR, and six RBI in 14 EXST games, and he was just recently moved back to the OF after having all kinds of problems trying to make the conversion back to catcher (he was a catcher in HS). Ha is very athletic and can play all three OF positions, but he was hampered throughout most of the 2009 season with a sore wrist. He does have XBH power (and HR power) when healthy.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
NOTE: CF Brandon Guyer hit 1st in the 2nd and 4th innings, and 3rd in the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th innings, getting seven Plate Appearances total in the game
X. Brandon Guyer, CF: 3-4 (BB, BB, 1B, HBP, F-8, 1B, 2B, R, RBI, 2 SB, PO)
1. Arismendy Alcantara, 3B: 0-4 (6-3, F-7, F-8, K)
2. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-4 (F-8, F-7, P-4, E-6, R)
3. Jesus Morelli, DH #1: 1-4 (6-3, F-8, P-4, 2B, R, RBI)
4. Alvaro Ramirez, RF: 2-4 (1B, 2B, 6-3, F-8, 2 R)
5a. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K, 2 R)
5b. Carlos Romero, 1B: 0-1 (5-3)
6. Runey Davis, LF: 2-3 (3B, 1B, 4-3, R, 4 RBI)
7. George Matheus, SS: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 6-3, SB)
8. Sergio Burruel, DH #2: 1-3 (P-6 DP, 1B, 3-U, 2 RBI)
9. Jose Guevara, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-4 FC, F-8, SB)
1. Casey Lambert – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Tzu-An Wang – 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (27 strikes)
3. Drew Rundle – 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 25 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Jadel Mendez – 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/FO, 29 pitches (22 strikes)
5. Alvido Jimenez – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (18 strikes)
1. P Tzu-An Wang E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
2. SS George Matheus E-6 (throwing error at 1st base allowed batter to reach base – did not score)
Jose Guevara: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, cloudless, and breezy, with temperatures in the 80’s
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.
Contreras seems pretty adamant he'll play anywhere Madden wants him to so as long as he stays hot and with all the injuries it'll be pretty nice to have yet another bat Madden can move around.
Rizzo in, Zobrist out, Willson in LF, Montero back and Almora batting 9th ... let's score some runs
Time for Mr. Oh to get some save chances.