Throwing Cards at a Hat in the Clubhouse

The I-Cubs are supposed to play at noon today, but I wouldn't count on it. It's been raining for hours and isn't supposed to stop. So I thought I'd rummage through the fridge and throw something together while waiting for the draft to resume.

I've linked a couple articles below. One announces Mitch Atkins' selection as the PCL pitcher of the week for last week based on two strong six-inning starts. The other quotes Skipper Sandberg as confirming his interest in the position of Oriole manager if his old pal Andy MacPhail called and offered. As of this morning Ryno is 7th out of 12 candidates with 4.1% of the vote in an unscientific popularity poll that's been running in the Baltimore Sun since Dave Trembley got canned.

The I-Cubs have cooled recently and fallen to their division basement although the overall record is still just on the right side of .500.

I got to see the 7th of Hi-Ho's eight wins from the vantage point of a club box seat when he beat the Cardinals on May 29. Very precise location and a nice mix of pitches. That was the double digit strikeout day and he really worked in a nice rhythm. From little league to the bigs, you gotta love the strike-throwers. I got burned in the clubs despite lacquering up with sunscreen after shivering the day before and craning around a pole underneath the upper deck in terrace reserved. The two days were almost identical weather conditions. Ahhh, the bi-polar confines!

I also got to see one of the premiere screenings of the documentary film, "Ballhawks" that weekend which has been briefly discussed here previously. I was predisposed to like the film and was not disappointed. It figures to appeal more to baseball romanticists than statheads, although there is an aspect of number-crunching to it, and I am certainly in the former camp. I don't really have an answer to those who find the core, longtime ballhawks objectionable on the grounds that they lack lives and are stealing candy from babies, other than to suggest that it is not for anyone to be critical of another's joy in life [within reason, which I think ballhawking is]. And the ballhawks are not tramplers of children either. Frankly, they are more boyish in their adult attachments to a kids' game than are the millionaire sluggers whose homers they shag. You always hear that refrain: "they're getting paid millions for playing a kids' game." Well, the ballhawks play for nothing and I think they are as uniquely Wrigley as the ivy and the scoreboard. I heartily recommend the film if you get a chance to see it.

Grabow finally found a league where he can work a scoreless inning. Deep Threat had a three-walk frame of work the other night, but his jersey sold for the second highest amount [about $250] in the shirt-off-their-back charity fundraiser over the weekend. Sandberg's fetched over $500.

Nobody's too hot with the bat right now...

Comments

There's nothing romantic about grown men muscling kids out of the way so they can hoard balls by the thousands in a box in their mom's basement.

Let the kids have the balls!

example? watch the first twelve seconds of this (freeze frame it)

but there is something romantic about a ballyard in the middle of a neighborhood where balls can still be "outta here!" and i would offer the 90 minute film as a rebuttal of the 12 second clip...and i would also submit that on many occasions there are either no kids out there or the ones who are are proteges/apprentices of the ballhawks...still, nothing is purely one way or another so there is basis for your view

2nd round pick is Reggie Golen a 5 tool Alabaman HS outfielder who is going to need a lot of experience, according to MLB.com.

Reggie Golden.

Listed at 5-10 210 lbs.

told you the i-cubs wouldn't play today...diamond goes 5 innings of 2 hit shutout ball w/ 0 bb's & 8 k's; tracy 4-4 [he's hitting .396] w/ 2 hr's...

• probably saturday depending on what they do with hammel (assuming friday for ham).

• Lester is going to get one more start, right? It sure would be nice to see him get a shot at 20 wins.

• Nicely done! I think in my 10-14 games I went .500 or a little over. Strangely, I went to the Cards games they mostly lost (incl Saturday) and the one SF game they lost, plus a couple Brewers games they lost, too. I should have gone to just Reds games. But still - saw mostly very good baseball on the North Side this year. Regardless of what happens come October - the Cubs are positioned for some good times in the next 3-5 years.

• Attaboy!

• First Cub victory at home this year for me!
    1-3
    Saw all four starters this year

jacos 6 hours 33 min ago view
  • RIP Arnie. We could use a lot more like you -- a man who succeeded and failed on his own terms, a true original, and, finally, a remarkable example of graciousness towards others.

• Cubs finish 33 over at home. I was, personally, one game over at 3-2, which was one of my better years in a while.

I do hope that's the last time we see the Cardinals this year. A lot of power, which is dangerous, particularly in a short series, and they have really shut down KB all year.

Oh, and Jon Lester? Damn!

• Yes. Boating accident at 3AM. Very sad, but stupid. Young men do stupid things.

• lester puts 2 on and is taken out at 96 pitches. oh well.

edwards in.

• 2 out in the 7th, lester at 84 pitches, ross taken out for the standing O.

it's possible contreras will catch lester for another inning+.

• What a weird day.  Jose Fernandez and Arnold Palmer, but then Scully and, on a much more modest level, Ross....

Transmission 17 hours 21 sec ago view
  • d.ross gets his 2nd standing O on the night (last home game of the season)...hits HR #10...curtain call. baseball.

• as a fan, he only "owes" us the game on the field and not getting in the way of others on his team being ready to play (imo).

it's exponentially worse to his family and friends, but this dude most likely had 15+ years of play left and even though he just turned 24 a couple months ago he had already established himself as a top guy in the game.

• Carrie Muskat [email protected]

Updated #Cubs probs vs Pirates: Mon, Hendricks vs Kuhl; Tue, Lackey vs Vogelsong; Wed, Arrieta vs Taillon; Thu, Zastryzny vs Nova

• I know what you're trying to say, Charlie, that none of us feels what his loved ones must be feeling.

On the other hand, what makes a death like this tragic is precisely the loss, based on Fernandez's youth and brilliance, to the baseball world.

So, for example, we can say that Princess Diana's death meant more, in aggregate, to millions of admirers who didn't know her personally than to her loved ones.

VirginiaPhil 20 hours 48 min ago view
  • boston pitching snags a couple of mlb team records...

"Over nine innings of play, Boston's staff struck out 11 straight Tampa Bay Rays hitters Sunday, breaking the major-league record for most consecutive strikeouts in a game.

The previous record was held by former New York Mets right-hander Tom Seaver, who struck out 10 straight hitters in 1970.

Not only that, but with a strikeout to end the ninth, sending the game into extras, Boston's staff also struck out an MLB-record 21 batters over nine innings."