Game Preview: Cubs (37-47) @ Diamondbacks (32-52)

The Cubs go for 3 in a row. 3 WINS in a row!!!! It's the start of something big, like starting to trade players away.

Ken Davidoff tweets that the Mets are quite interested in Ted Lilly and the Cubs seem to be smart and willing to pay most of Lilly's remaining salary to get it done. No idea whom the prospects or players might be at this point or how serious the talks are, but Lilly's a good fit in spacious CitiField and the Cubs need to start thinking about some future year where they'll be good again and interesting.

Lou has come to terms with the team being sellers and is already talking retirement. Is that a white flag I see in your pocket?

I'll put the lineups up when they become available.

UPDATE: Fukudome 9/Theriot 4/Lee 3/Byrd 8/Ramirez 5/Soriano 7/Castro 6/Soto 2/Dempster 1

Also Brian Schlitter to disabled list with a shoulder impingement, Mitch Atkins called up.

Comments

Schlitter to the DL with "right shoulder impingement" and Atkins called up.

that's schitty.

that's ok, he's found another line of work;

I'm traveling and so, am just catching up on yesterday's baseball news.

I hope my fellow Cub fans won't let this year's struggles prevent you from enjoying what's really important in life. This, for example:

Awesome!

I enjoy watching them suffer

They're suffering again. Gave up 7-4 lead tonight at Colorado. Game now tied 7-7 after three-run Rockies eighth inning.

wow no one in parachat.

YOU'VE CHANGED!!!!!!!!

ha.

@!#%$! Lee drops another toss to first.

Maybe I need anger management counseling but...Wuddup with that?

I saw that, about Parachat and was about to post it. Fucking quitters. First off night I have in months and no one is there to amuse me; btw, Aramis!

Hi Carlos!

The Rickets are cutting back and Parachat is one of the casualties. I heard Hendry might swap Parachat for an old AOL Chatroom.

All that stands in the way is getting Parachat to waive it's No Trade Clause.

I thought it was the player option that was the real problem, and the cost of shipping its personal emoticon coach everywhere it goes.

Off-topic fantasy question for anyone so inclined:

Was offered Ethier for A-Rod. It's a keeper league (up to five guys can be kept), and I've been contemplating dealing A-Rod anyway, since I don't know how much longer he'll be keeper-worthy, and I'm pretty much out of the race this year.

For the rest of this season, I have A-Ram and Prado who can cover 3B, and I have Werth, Span, Boesch, G. Jones, Stanton and LaPorta who can play OF.

Ethier, obviously, is keeper-worthy.

Complicating things is the owner offering me this deal is the most annoying in the league, so I'm not inclined to help him, yet I know that shouldn't play a role.

I'm leaning toward doing it but wanted to hear any other thoughts.

I would make the trade if you don't want to be as competitive this year. I wouldn't make the trade if you want to be more competitive this year.

In other words, ARod probably is better over the rest of this year, Ethier better in the future.

Of course, I traded Strasburg for ARod, so not sure if I am the most unbiased advisor.

Sounds a bit like re-arranging deck chairs. Both guys are pretty good all-around contributors, and you don't have positional scarcity at 3rd or OF to make you particuarly motivated either way.

In general it's always good to say how big your league is and what the stats used are when asking for advice and suggestions.

I left out the details because I figured it was a big WGAF.

But it's 11 teams, offensive stats are AVG, HR, RBI, R, SB, OBP, SLG. Pretty standard Yahoo league with just a few additional categories.

For this year, it's definitely rearranging deck chairs. Holding on to A-Rod isn't going to affect me much one way or the other. The notion of Ethier vs. an aging A-Rod for the future is what intrigues me.

Yeah I realized that. I think Ethier is probably a little overrated. A-Rod has been one of the best in the game and I don't see Ethier ever getting there.

BP has their forecasted total average for the next five years.

Year Arod Ethier
2011 .310 .302
2012 .308 .302
2013 .306 .305
2014 .295 .302
2015 .293 .301

Hope that helps.

tough call, but personally a 3bmen much harder to find than an OF and even with the injuries and decline, he should still be top 5 3bmen for a few years.

or it was all 'roids and you should deal him now...

Yeah, the 3B/OF thing is a tough part of it going forward.

Thanks to all for the input.

• if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.

#Bernie130orBust

• I see where catcher Cael Brockmeyer was promoted to Tennessee a couple of days ago, to fill a roster spot vacated by David Freitas, recently promoted to Iowa. Caratini is the other catcher at Tennessee.

VirginiaPhil 2 hours 47 min ago view
  • They've already clinched a minimum winning percentage of .607 for the month, and that's only if they lose the last 2 games. If they win both, they can push that up to .679. So much for "stumbling" in May. When you're winning over 60% of your games, you're doing baseball well.

John Beasley 4 hours 1 min ago view
  • If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!

(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)

Number eight for Jimenez. His team is 31-17. Yesterday they scored 17 runs against Lansing. Two weeks ago it was 15 runs against the same team. This is a nice team, South Bend. The Cubs must have had a good draft last year.

Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 8 min ago view
  • RIP Zoobrest.

• He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.

• In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.

• Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?

• 34-14...awww yeah.

• Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]

Eric S 11 hours 1 min ago view
  • ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.

cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/

• HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.

Arizona Phil 14 hours 31 min ago view
  • ERIC S: Best outing I've ever seen from Manny Rondon, and I've seen most of his outings since the Cubs got him from the Angels.

M. Rondon is competing with six others (Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Erling Moreno) for a starting slot at Eugene, and (as you can probably tell from the EXST box scores)  the competition has gotten fierce over the last couple of weeks, With the exception of Moreno, the Eugene SP candidates have upped their game lately, and M. Rondon's outing yesterday was especially impressive/dominating.

Arizona Phil 14 hours 34 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Pierce Johnsion was mixing a 92-94 MPH fastball with a plus-change-up AND curve, and he threw strike-after-strike-after-strike with all three of his pitches. I believe that was the best command and pitch-efficiency I've ever seen from Johnson, who often pitches from behind in the count and issues too many walks.

Of course now he has to avoid a recurrence of the lat strain (whch he has had previously in his career) as well as all of the other miscellaneous physical problems he's had over the last three years (hamstring, quad, back, etc).

Arizona Phil 14 hours 43 min ago view
  • PHIL: Any movement on P. Johnsons pitches? What was his "out" pitch? I know he was working on a 4th pitch, so wondering what he is looking like these days. Thanks.

• AZ Phil, has Nathan showed up in Mesa yet? Thanks.

Hagsag 20 hours 12 min ago view