Game 136 Thread / Phillies @ Cubs (3 of 4)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP Brett Myers SP *Ted Lilly

SS #Jimmy Rollins LF Alfonso Soriano
2B *Chase Utley SS Ryan Theriot
LF Pat Burrell 1B Derrek Lee
1B *Ryan Howard 3B Aramis Ramirez
CF #Shane Victorino CF *Jim Edmonds
RF Jayson Werth 2B Mark DeRosa
3B Pedo Feliz RF *Kosuke Fukudome
C Chris Coste C Geovany Soto
P Brett Myers P *Ted Lilly

Comments

Holy crap, Theodore is 13-7 after having that atrocious start this year? Neat.

It would be nice if we could call this one a mulligan and the Pirates beat the Brewers.

I wouldn't be completely shocked to see the Cubs make a move for a right handed pinch hitter. I don't think anyone trusts Ronny Cedeno in a pressure pinch hitting situation. Johnson is usually ok but looked bad swinging at ball 4.

Ah well first loss since the debacle against the Nationals, I'll take it.

No closer to a division title, but looks like Cards are in trouble. Hopefully knock that number down to a 16.

and Pujols homers just as I type that to make it 8-5 Astros headed to the bottom of the 7th.

Remember LATROY HAWKINS striking out three Cubs in a mop-up role shortly after being acquired by the 'Stros? He struck out the side. I chalked it up at the time as a case of the Cubs wanting to get the game over with.

Well, he kept it up. So far in August he's made 13 appearances, pitched 10.0 innings, allowed no runs on 3 hits and struck out 16!

Houston is using him as their set-up man for Valverde. It seems to suit him...

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 8 hours 48 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 9 hours 16 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 16 hours 46 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 7 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 8 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 8 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 8 hours ago view