Game thread: Astros (37-55) @ Cubs (42-51)

According to the Playoff Odds Report at Baseball Prospectus, your Chicago Cubs enter play tonight with a .66% chance of reaching the post-season. Yes, point-six-six percent, as in 66 percent of 1 percent. Pretty sad, huh?

The Astros, however, come into the game with a .00075% chance of reaching the playoffs, so by BP's figuring, the Cubs are about 866 times more likely to get to the post-season than are the Astros.

Feeling better now about 2010?

The Astros lead the season series, 4 victories to 2.

Astros lineup v. Carlos Silva (9-3, 3.45; 2-0, 3.12 all-time v. Astros)
Bourn 8, Sanchez 6, Berkman 3, Pence 9, C. Lee 7, Keppinger 4, C. Johnson 5, J. Castro 2, Rodriguez 1

Cubs lineup v. Wandy Rodriguez (6-11, 4.97; 4-4, 3.74 all-time v. Cubs)
Colvin 9, Castro 6, Lee 3, Ramirez 5, Byrd 8, Soriano 7, Soto 2, Baker 4, Silva 1

Comments

carlos silva sure is carlos silva tonight.

this isn't getting any better. after the lineup turns over to bourne for his 2nd ab in the 1st the pen gets up.

i am in awe of the lack of trash on the field and the lack of boo'ing from the stands. bases loaded...

holy leaping stop castro...thanks for that 3rd out.

silva with 11 er in his last 2.1ip (over 2 games)...13 hits, 5bb

ERA from 2.96 to 3.86

Silva looks angry to me. Very angry.

He looks fat to me.

it's been a while since i've seen someone so efficiently murder their year's work. he's still hanging onto a decent WHIP, though.

You wouldn't like Silva when he's angry

I think Silva's green skin is actually from food poisoning.

I think Silva's green skin is actually from food poisoning.
---
There are two other possible explanations...Silva's hemoglobin is based on Copper or he's an Orion Slave trader

So much for the pipedream that the team would start playing better now. Hendry has my blessing to trade away anything that isn't bolted down.

I've got this awful feeling Hendry has had some offers for Silva but didn't pull the trigger.

if silva didn't have a year left, maybe.

no one would want to touch that risk i'd imagine.

Hey look! Carlos Silva!

The only thing more painful than running if you're Derrek Lee is watching Derrek Lee run.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

Charlie 20 sec ago view
  • If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 52 min 41 sec ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

Rob G. 1 hour 51 min ago view
  • I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 2 hours 28 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.

• i do what i want.

i run with 12 gangs and we only commit hate crimes.

i do what i want.

• I was asking how well Scherzer holds on runners.

#baseballtalk

BTW, your used underwear remark sounds rather specific. Please don't project. Thanks.

Tito 4 hours 17 min ago view
  • nothing gets you going like someone talking about lester, eh?

i hope you're on his payroll or he sends you used underwear or whatever you're into.

btw, he holds runners like shit. he does things with runners i've never seen another pitcher do in my life...even going back before i was born as far as i can tell. would you like to discuss it? that sounds like it could be educational and fun. hit me up, bruh.

• last year they won 97...and came in 3rd in the division. crazy game on a year-to-year basis.

this year it's likely no one else in the division will win 90, though it's technically possible at this point.

no matter what, this is a special team, though...very well rounded...and should be mostly intact next year with a bonus schwarber. chapman may not be around, but whatever...rondon and crew are capable even if not on chapman's level.

• How well does he hold on runners?

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 16 min ago view
  • It's August 26. Cubs with 14 game lead. And not for #1 draft pick.

Words I never thought I would type together.

Jackstraw 6 hours 31 min ago view
  • One more victory to ensure a winning season!

• If I were a betting man

Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
    Monty on mound.

Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo

/Prove me wrong

jacos 8 hours 48 min ago view
  • When Scherzer is on his game, he might the the most dominant and intimidating pitcher. A couple of games he has pitched against the Cubs when he had his stuff, and his mound presence was just powerful.

• So are lack of chances due to the great pitching?

jacos 8 hours 51 min ago view