Game Thread: Cubs (45-54) @ Astros (40-58)

A couple items from the rumor mill...

Ken Rosenthal says the Cubs are running a Kosuke Sale. And Bruce Levine is apparently reporting that Ryan Theriot's stock went up over the weekend and that he is now on the radars of the Rockies, Padres, and Tigers. Tip o' the hat to @TheCCO, who passed along Levine's report, and also to Tim McGinnis of Aisle 424 (@Aisle424) who wrote so eloquently of Theriot:

Wonder what scouts valued more about Theriot this wkend? Lost ball in the sun, botched routine DP ball, his lack of range, or his TOOTBLANs.

Here are the lineups for tonight's series opener in Houston. No word on whether or not Bobby Valentine was consulted on the Cubs' order.

Cubs lineup v. Wesley Wright (0-0, 4.40; 2-0, 4.11 all-time vs. Cubs)
Colvin 9, Castro 6, Lee 3, Ramirez 5, Byrd 8, Soriano 7, Soto 2, Theriot 4, Silva 1

Astros lineup vs. Carlos Silva (9-4, 3.86; 2-1, 5.40 all-time vs. Astros)
Bourn 8, Sanchez 6, Berkman 3, Pence 9, C. Lee 7, Keppinger 4, Johnson 5, J. Castro 2, Wright 1

Comments

"Dodgers minor league outfielder Prentice Redman has been suspended for 100 games due to a second positive test for a banned amphetamine."

1- this dude is still out there trying?

2- non-pitchers on amphetamines is just sad...heh

Theriot is nothing more than Ryan Freel. Which begs the question... if you are looking for a cheap, weak middle infielder, why not just go get Ryan Freel?

aww...he's not that bad...nor does he pound a bottle of vodka a day. =p

hell, at this point i wouldn't be surprised to see riot as the 2nd baseman next year on a 2yr/5m deal or similar.

also, i don't think his 2nd is that bad...nor his range...

I think Theriot is better than Freel, especially at this point in time. But what concerns me is the comment you made about pounding a bottle of vodka a day. You said it like it's a bad thing.

Does MLB do random testing for vodka?

i think he was more of a whiskey dude anyway...hehe...wonder what he's up to these days

Theriot solves his running the bases issue for the first time this season.

Not to bag too heavily on Theriot... but how did anyone watching him play second base over the weekend come back favorably impressed?

His second base defense has been pretty solid, but he was really a butcher that one inning (Sunday night?).

About a month ago I heard Freel was playing in the Independent league, I think. One of those fringe minor league teams that signs all the retreads. I think Al Davis secretly owns the team.

Oh, yeah—Carlos Zambrano apologized for something or other.

oh...this almost HR pulled (he dont pull shit) by m.bourne was interesting.

double.

go silva.

silva is hitting 88-90mph on his fastball, fwiw. he's throwing his slider, too.

seems he's healthy.

seems HOU also has a lead off a berkman single.

not bad through 5...awesomes.

Garza TB vs Detroit

he's faced the minimum thru 7
walked one

and it's done...no hittah...

They probably can't trade for enough offense to save their season. It's officially a two-team race in the AL central.

Yup. Had him on my bench. Sweet.

thank god.

I hate you, Garza and fantasy baseball.

Theriot goes yard.

Home run #1 and XBH #13 on the year (in 375 AB)

First hr in 700 ab's, was longest current streak.

Somewhere Rick Tellander is writing a new article accusing Riot of juicing.

Every starting position player gets a hit, and Cashner-Marshall-Marmol nail down the game. Good to see, but too bad they are 9.5 games back.

Cubs Win! Theriot Hits a dinger!

Chicago can't contain itself.