Cubs Shutout Padres at HoHoKam Water Park

Four pitchers combined to throw a five-hit shutout, and Vismeldy Bieneme reached base four times, stole two bases, and scored three runs, as the AZL Cubs blanked the AZL Padres 3-0 in a game that was played in a steady monsoon drizzle at Dwight Patterson Field at HoHoKam Park in Mesa Tuesday night.

box score

RHP Marcus Hatley (2009 TJS) continued his rehab, throwing two innings (29- pitches - 17 strikes) and allowing two singles.

RHP Hector Mayora faced the minimum nine batters in his three innings of work (he gave up a one-out single in the 5th, but the baserunner was cut-down trying to steal), and RHP Austin Reed (2010 12th round draft pick out of Rancho Cucamonga HS - Rancho Cucamonga, CA) also threw three shutout innings (36 pitches  - 23 strikes), allowing a single, a double (a simple pop up misplayed into a hit by RF Xavier Batista), and a HBP while striking out three. Reed has electric stuff but sometimes his mechanics go haywire, although he was mostly spot-on tonight.

6'5 Australian LHP Cody Hams got the final three outs (K, 5-3, K) to record the save, and just in time, too, as the game-long drizzle began to turn into more of a downpour.

2B Vismeldy Bieneme reached base on an E-5, stole 2nd base, advanced to 3rd on a 4-3 ground out, and scored the game's first run in the bottom of the 1st inning on a Ryan Cuneo line-drive RBI single. Bieneme singled with one out in the bottom of the 3rd, moved up on an Anthony Giansanti single and a WP, and then scored when the Padres picked Giansanti off 1st base with two outs, with Bieneme scoring from 3rd before the Pads could put a tag on Giansanti. And then Bieneme singled again in the bottom of the 6th, stole second, advanced to 3rd on a WP, and scored on a Ryan Cuneo F-8 SF. (Cuneo is now 3rd in the AZL in RBI with 21, and Bieneme is 4th in SB with 10).

Recently-signed Cubs 2nd round draft pick RF Reggie Golden was in uniform (wearing #19), but he did not see action in tonight's game.

Comments

Thanks, AZ. Looking forward to your take on the Golden boy.

On a side note, this didn't take long:

I know the "scratched" part is old news, but now we apparently have a diagnosis. Do the Cubs have a box of white towels that they can send to the Nats?

Miles posted this yesterday on Szczur for those interested:

The Cubs sent along a nice note about outfielder Matt Szczur, their fifth-round pick out of Villanova. He hit safely in all 18 games with Class A Boise and will be promoted to Peoria (A). Matt hit .397 (29-for-73) with 9 doubles, 16 runs, 8 RBI, a .439 on-base percentage and a .521 slugging percentage in the 18 games with Boise. In college, he hit .443 (77-for-174) this past season and was named to the All-Big East first team after leading the team in eight offensive categories.

Matt is also a star of the Villanova football team, which he helped lead to its first national championship (Football Championship Subdivision) as a junior in 2009. He was named the Colonial Athletic Association player of the year and special-teams player of the year. In the national championship, he rushed for a career-high 159 yards, 270 all-purpose yards and was named Most Outstanding Player. Matt's deal with the Cubs allows him to return to Villanova to play football in the fall, after which he is expected to decide between declaring for the NFL draft or continuing his baseball career next spring.

As you may know, Matt earned recognition and praise for donating his bone marrow to a young girl with leukemia earlier this spring. He missed 10 baseball games to help her out.

The Cubs don't need a guy willing to miss a baseball game for any old reason.

No doubt, what a pussy.

In all seriousness, the world needs more people like this guy.

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

Rob G. 1 hour 18 min ago view
  • When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 1 hour 30 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 1 hour 31 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 1 hour 32 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 1 hour 52 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

• they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 2 hours 9 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 2 hours 44 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 3 hours 58 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 5 hours 34 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.