Pins and Needles

UPDATE (5:23 PM CST): Zambrano did see Dr. Gryzlo and was suppose to have an MRI today, but missed his appointment. Odd behavior. The MRI has been rescheduled for tomorrow. Sean Marshall will take his next start on Sunday versus the Reds.

Four game losing streak...unfortunate.

Offense struggling a bit...it happens to the best of them.

Carlos Zambrano going to see an orthopedic specialist...holy shit!!

And now Cub fans breathlessly await the results. The season may not hang in the balance but the difference between a dominating playoff rotation versus hopes and prayers does.

If Zambrano has to miss some starts or hit the disabled list for a few weeks, it means Sean Marshall to the rotation. In the short term, that's probably not much of a difference, especially with the way Z has pitched lately. After his last DL trip, Z returned with five starts and a 1.78 ERA before August hit, so maybe a little more rest will do him good. If it ends up being a more serious injury that puts the playoffs in jeopardy, then the Cubs will have to consider starting Jason Marquis in a playoff game and I'll have to consider slitting my wrists.

Bulletin board fodder from Carsten Charles after the jump...

It seems Sabathia thinks the Brewers are the best team in the National League. I guess he should think that, even if defies logic and reality.

Sabathia says he thinks the Brewers have a good shot at winning the
World Series this year and are the best team in the National League. He
has a lot of confidence. And he has no problem with the Brewers using
him a lot of innings. Sabathia told Dan that he lets the manager know
he doesn't want to leave the game.

If you ignore the standings, the stats, the run differential and the four game sweep by the Cubs on the road and I think Sabathia is on to something.

Photo approved by Glendon Rusch.

Comments

I heard the interview, Patrick asked him who was the best team in the NL. He said something along the lines of "I'd have to say us", implying that he knew the Cubs were better, but that in the immortal words of David Puddy he's "gotta support the team".

I listened to it as well, it was pretty tame. But I can't pass up any chance to poke fun at the Brewers.

+1 for the caption.

I'll wait until mid-October to express my disagreement with his comments.

6-2 Muts in the bottom of the 7th. Pitching change with a man on first.

It is not my habit to listen to ESPN radio, but did anyone else hear Cowherd this morning write off the Cubs completely? Wow, and you thought the headless chicken fans were freaking out. He blames Lou entirely for overusing the starters. He was downright bleak.
While the pitching concerns me, the HIDP and leaving men on base bothers me more. Vintage Cubbery.

Cowherd is a schrutebag.

To the 8th in Milwaukee..

"Cowherd is a schrutebag."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Overusing his starters? Good call Colin.

lol... That's sort of like Bill Clinton saying oil would never come back down below $100/barrel again.

could be back by the end of the month, although it appears they would put him in the pen...which they sorely need help with.

Wow -- I had forgotten all about him.

on a two-out single.

Brewers fell asleep and let them steal third and second with 2 outs.

• Don't know if Cubs will recover from "spanking" Gordo

jacos 1 hour 30 min ago view
  • 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 16 hours 1 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 16 hours 29 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 23 hours 58 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 15 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 15 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 15 hours ago view