Golden Rules at Instructs
Cubs 2010 2nd round draft pick Reggie Golden slugged a two-run HR over the LF scoreboard and onto 8th Street to give the Cubs a 5-3 lead in the bottom of the 6th, but the Brew Crew rallied for four in the 8th as the Cubs and Brewers played to a 7-7 tie in the Cubs 2010 AZ Instructional League opener at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this afternoon.
There are 47 Cubs minor leaguers participating in Instructs at Fitch Park (22 pitchers, five catchers, 12 infielders, and eight outfielders), including eight players who are making their U. S. debut after spending the 2010 season playing in the Dominican Summer League, four draft picks and one non-drafted free-agent who signed too late to get into game action in August, and one Korean bonus baby. Also among the 47 is Cubs 3B prospect Josh Vitters, who is at Instructs rehabbing his broken hand and preparing for play in the Arizona Fall League next month.
Two of the newcomers made their pro debut in today's game, as LHP Casey Harman (2010 29th round draft pick out of Clemson) threw 1.1 IP of hitless shutout ball, walking one while striking out two, and catcher Max Kwan (2010 NDFA - U. of Washington) went 1-3 with a single and an RBI.
Harman was Clemson's #1 starter ("Friday night starter") in 2010 and beat #1 ranked Arizona State at the College World Series in June. Although he was selected in the 29th round, Harman received a $150,000 bonus (equivalent to "5th round" money) when he signed with the Cubs at the August 16th deadline.
Kwan suffered through an injury-plagued college career at Tulane and then later at Washington, but he has good size for a catcher (6'3 220), and helps provide depth at the catching position going into the 2011 season.
The Cubs will be playing a 21-game AZ instructional League schedule, with the last game on October 16th (they play every day Monday-Saturday up through 10/16, with no games on Sundays).
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only)
1. Evan Crawford, DH-RF: 1-4 (L-5, 2B, 4-3, 1B, HBP)
2a. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, E5, CS)
2b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (4-6-3 GIDP, K)
3. Micah Gibbs, C-DH: 0-3 (K, F-7, BB, BB, K, R)
4a. Justin Bour, 1B: 1-3 (F-9, F-7, 2B, RBI)
4b. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 1-1 (2B, BB)
4c. Kyung-Min Na, PR
5. Xavier Batista, DH-LF: 1-4 (1B, K, K, F-7, BB)
6a. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF: 2-3 (F-8, 1B, 2B, R, SB)
6b. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-2 (1B, K, R)
7a. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-1 (F-9, HBP, R, SB)
7b. Willson Contreras, 3B: 1-2 (6-3, 2B, RBI, R)
8. Reggie Golden, LF-DH: 2-3 (BB, FC, HR, 1B, 2 RBI, 2 R, SB, CS)
9. Max Kwan, DH-C: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, K, 5-3 SH, RBI)
10. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-4 (4-3 GIDP, L-6, 5-3, 1-3, RBI)
11. Chris Huseby, RF: PLAYED RF FIRST FIVE INNINGS – DID NOT BAT
1. Aaron Kurcz: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 27 pitches (13 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
2. Charles Thomas: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (6 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Alvaro Sosa: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 41 pitches (26 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Tarlandus Mitchell: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 35 pitches (21 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Casey Harman: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
6. Brent Ebinger: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 42 pitches (29 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
7. Amaury Paulino: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 8 pitches (4 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
1. 3B Willson Contreras: E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. CF Oliver Zapata: E-8 (bobbled line-drive single to CF, allowing batter to reach 2nd base)
3. CF Oliver Zapata: E-8 (overran ground single to CF, allowing batter to reach 2nd base)
Micah Gibbs: 2-3 CS
Max Kwan: 0-3 CS
ATTENDANCE: 23 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Hot and sunny, with temperatures in the 90’s
Here is the 2010 CUBS INSTRUCTIONAL LEAGUE ROSTER:
ACTIVE LIST (47):
* bats or throws left
# bats both
* Hunter Ackerman
* Brent Ebinger
* Cam Greathouse
* Casey Harman
* Jeff Lorick
* Brian Smith
Alvaro Sosa (ex-C)
Charles Thomas (ex-3B)
* Sergio Burruel
# Micah Gibbs
# Engel Santana
* Justin Bour
* Pin-Chieh Chen
* Ryan Cuneo
* Wes Darvill
* Marco Hernandez
* Hak-Ju Lee
D. J. Lemahieu
* Logan Watkins
* Delbis Arcila
Chris Huseby (ex-P)
* Kyung-Min Na
# Oliver Zapata
If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.
Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."
This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.
I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.
They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.
- They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
- Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.
new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup
.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.
...i hate espn.
oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.
I'm liking this rookie Nathan.
Richard DFA'd. Meh...
Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.
If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.
I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.