Ha Gives Cubs Reason to Smile
Michael Choice and A. J. Kirby-Jones crushed back-to-back home runs to cap a five-run 5th, leading the A’s Split Squad #1 to a 9-3 victory over the Cubs in AZ Instructional League action at Papago Park Baseball Complex Field #2 in Phoenix this afternoon.
Although there wasn’t much to celebrate on the Cubs side of the field, CF Jae-Hoon Ha had a nice day, rapping an RBI single in the top of the 1st before stealing 2nd base and 3rd base, and then scoring on a WP on the steal of 3rd as he came all the way around to score from 2nd without slowing-down, sliding home safely in a bang-bang play at the plate. Ha later made a spectacular diving catch on a hump-backed liner in short center.
17-year old LHP Brian Smith (Cubs 2010 40th round draft pick out of Pickering, Ontario) made his pro debut today, and looked very nervous, allowing two runs in one inning of work, while having a lot of difficulty locating the strike zone (23 pitches, only nine strikes). He also hit a batter, threw a wild pitch, and committed a balk. Smith pitched for the Canadian Junior National Team in 2010.
18-year old RHP Ryan Hartman (Cubs 2010 16th round draft pick out of Mt. Zion HS - Mt. Zion, IL) had an especially poor outing today, allowing five runs on six hits (three singles, a triple, and back-to-back home runs) plus a walk and a wild pitch in his two innings of work. Although he was selected in the 16th round in last June's draft, Hartman received a $150,000 bonus (equivalent to "5th round money") when he signed with the Cubs. He appeared in eight games for the AZL Cubs in 2010, allowing 10 hits in 14.1 IP, with a 5/15 BB/K, 3.77 ERA, and a 1.05 WHIP. He was considered one of the top high school pitching prospects in Illinois coming into the 2010 season, and his curve ball was rated by scouts as the best among Illinois HS hurlers.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Marco Hernandez, SS: 2-3 (1B+E5, E6, 1B+E1, R)
1b. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-1 (P-3)
2a. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (4-3, 6-4-3 GIDP, E6)
2b. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-1 (K)
3. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF: 1-4 (1B, F-7, F-7, L-6, RBI, R, 2 SB)
4. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 1-3 (K, HBP, 3B, F-7)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, E1, HBP, BB, CS)
6. Engel Santana, DH-C: 0-3 (6-3, BB, 4-3 GIDP, F-9)
7a. Willson Contreras, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, L-3 DP)
7b. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-0 (BB)
7c. Max Kwan, PH: 0-1 (4-3)
8. Delbis Arcila, LF-DH: 0-2 (HBP, 6-3, K)
9. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 0-2 (BB, K, 4-3)
10. Oliver Zapata, DH-LF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 2B, R)
1. Dustin Fitzgerald: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 31 pitches (23 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 HBP, 1 BALK, 23 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2 HR, 1 GIDP, 45 pitches (24 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Luis Liria: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 30 pitches (18 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
5. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
6. Cam Greathouse: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 BALK, 1 GIDP, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
1. C Sergio Burruel E-2 (overthrow on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
2. 3B Dustin Geiger: E-5 (dropped tag on run-down play allowed runner to reach 3rd base – eventually scored unearned run)
Sergio Burruel: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
Engel Santana: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
ATTENDANCE: 17 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Hot and sunny, with temperatures in the 90’s
2010 CUBS INSTRUCTIONAL LEAGUE ROSTER:
ACTIVE LIST (47):
* bats or throws left
# bats both
* Hunter Ackerman
* Brent Ebinger
* Cam Greathouse
* Casey Harman
* Jeff Lorick
* Brian Smith
Alvaro Sosa (ex-C)
Charles Thomas (ex-3B)
* Sergio Burruel
# Micah Gibbs
# Engel Santana
* Justin Bour
* Ryan Cuneo
* Pin-Chieh Chen
* Wes Darvill
* Marco Hernandez
* Hak-Ju Lee
D. J. Lemahieu
* Logan Watkins
* Delbis Arcila
Chris Huseby (ex-P)
* Kyung-Min Na
# Oliver Zapata
First team to 60 wins! Onward to 70, 80, 90 and 100!
I. Hate. The. Mets.
OK Marlins -- take 'em down. Fernandez, at home, tomorrow for the Fish.
Gotta say, though -- as much as I can't stand them, the Cardinals have had some very impressive late-inning wins against premier closers.
Very impressive that he hit a 3-2 curve ball. Such a dynamic ballplayer. If he ever learns the strike zone....
If Jason Hammel doesn't get a potato chip sponsorship deal, somebody messed up. Attaboy, Jason!
I am looking forward to AChap facing the Cardinals.
Sure is fun to watch them score finally. To think they were no-hit until the 7th...
Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff
GRAND SLAM RUSSELL
blown the hell open...7 run lead
11 hits off Wainwright tonight. Everything going right for the Cards right now. Motherfucking motherfuckers.
it was more no-doubt than bryant's HR. it wont make any end-of-season highlight reels, but that one was booked to leave on contact.
Javy! Javy! Javy!
How sweet was that - Cranked it!
393 happy feet
cubs take a 2 run lead in the 7th. sweet.
...and the Cards tie and take the lead in the 9th. off Familia.
Familia blows his first save of the season -- gives up 2 in 9th to the Cards.
Not much going our way these days.
no-doubt HR towering to CF...tie game.