Ha Gives Cubs Reason to Smile
Michael Choice and A. J. Kirby-Jones crushed back-to-back home runs to cap a five-run 5th, leading the A’s Split Squad #1 to a 9-3 victory over the Cubs in AZ Instructional League action at Papago Park Baseball Complex Field #2 in Phoenix this afternoon.
Although there wasn’t much to celebrate on the Cubs side of the field, CF Jae-Hoon Ha had a nice day, rapping an RBI single in the top of the 1st before stealing 2nd base and 3rd base, and then scoring on a WP on the steal of 3rd as he came all the way around to score from 2nd without slowing-down, sliding home safely in a bang-bang play at the plate. Ha later made a spectacular diving catch on a hump-backed liner in short center.
17-year old LHP Brian Smith (Cubs 2010 40th round draft pick out of Pickering, Ontario) made his pro debut today, and looked very nervous, allowing two runs in one inning of work, while having a lot of difficulty locating the strike zone (23 pitches, only nine strikes). He also hit a batter, threw a wild pitch, and committed a balk. Smith pitched for the Canadian Junior National Team in 2010.
18-year old RHP Ryan Hartman (Cubs 2010 16th round draft pick out of Mt. Zion HS - Mt. Zion, IL) had an especially poor outing today, allowing five runs on six hits (three singles, a triple, and back-to-back home runs) plus a walk and a wild pitch in his two innings of work. Although he was selected in the 16th round in last June's draft, Hartman received a $150,000 bonus (equivalent to "5th round money") when he signed with the Cubs. He appeared in eight games for the AZL Cubs in 2010, allowing 10 hits in 14.1 IP, with a 5/15 BB/K, 3.77 ERA, and a 1.05 WHIP. He was considered one of the top high school pitching prospects in Illinois coming into the 2010 season, and his curve ball was rated by scouts as the best among Illinois HS hurlers.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Marco Hernandez, SS: 2-3 (1B+E5, E6, 1B+E1, R)
1b. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-1 (P-3)
2a. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (4-3, 6-4-3 GIDP, E6)
2b. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-1 (K)
3. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF: 1-4 (1B, F-7, F-7, L-6, RBI, R, 2 SB)
4. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 1-3 (K, HBP, 3B, F-7)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, E1, HBP, BB, CS)
6. Engel Santana, DH-C: 0-3 (6-3, BB, 4-3 GIDP, F-9)
7a. Willson Contreras, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, L-3 DP)
7b. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-0 (BB)
7c. Max Kwan, PH: 0-1 (4-3)
8. Delbis Arcila, LF-DH: 0-2 (HBP, 6-3, K)
9. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 0-2 (BB, K, 4-3)
10. Oliver Zapata, DH-LF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 2B, R)
1. Dustin Fitzgerald: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 31 pitches (23 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 HBP, 1 BALK, 23 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2 HR, 1 GIDP, 45 pitches (24 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Luis Liria: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 30 pitches (18 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
5. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
6. Cam Greathouse: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 BALK, 1 GIDP, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
1. C Sergio Burruel E-2 (overthrow on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
2. 3B Dustin Geiger: E-5 (dropped tag on run-down play allowed runner to reach 3rd base – eventually scored unearned run)
Sergio Burruel: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
Engel Santana: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
ATTENDANCE: 17 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Hot and sunny, with temperatures in the 90’s
2010 CUBS INSTRUCTIONAL LEAGUE ROSTER:
ACTIVE LIST (47):
* bats or throws left
# bats both
* Hunter Ackerman
* Brent Ebinger
* Cam Greathouse
* Casey Harman
* Jeff Lorick
* Brian Smith
Alvaro Sosa (ex-C)
Charles Thomas (ex-3B)
* Sergio Burruel
# Micah Gibbs
# Engel Santana
* Justin Bour
* Ryan Cuneo
* Pin-Chieh Chen
* Wes Darvill
* Marco Hernandez
* Hak-Ju Lee
D. J. Lemahieu
* Logan Watkins
* Delbis Arcila
Chris Huseby (ex-P)
* Kyung-Min Na
# Oliver Zapata
Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:
"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."
When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.
If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.
bryant 2nd HR of the night for a 2 run lead in the 10th? sure, why not. awesome.
gawd...jansen's thrown 5 pitches in the past 5 minutes.
wild pitch (and a K, boo) with heyward advancing! 1 out, heyward on 3rd.
HEYWARD SCORES ON A 2nd WILD PITCH! TIE!
leadoff double (heyward!) top of the 9th...RALLY!
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
that was some joke ass official scoring giving him a double. either way, seager's on 2nd and soler's play in the OF is still sketchy.
Schwarber is worse right?
Seager with the two out double *cough* to left field in the bottom of the fourth. If Soler just plays that bunny hop off his nuts, it's a single - certainly no double.
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon
See I told you they were up to no good