Ha Gives Cubs Reason to Smile
Michael Choice and A. J. Kirby-Jones crushed back-to-back home runs to cap a five-run 5th, leading the A’s Split Squad #1 to a 9-3 victory over the Cubs in AZ Instructional League action at Papago Park Baseball Complex Field #2 in Phoenix this afternoon.
Although there wasn’t much to celebrate on the Cubs side of the field, CF Jae-Hoon Ha had a nice day, rapping an RBI single in the top of the 1st before stealing 2nd base and 3rd base, and then scoring on a WP on the steal of 3rd as he came all the way around to score from 2nd without slowing-down, sliding home safely in a bang-bang play at the plate. Ha later made a spectacular diving catch on a hump-backed liner in short center.
17-year old LHP Brian Smith (Cubs 2010 40th round draft pick out of Pickering, Ontario) made his pro debut today, and looked very nervous, allowing two runs in one inning of work, while having a lot of difficulty locating the strike zone (23 pitches, only nine strikes). He also hit a batter, threw a wild pitch, and committed a balk. Smith pitched for the Canadian Junior National Team in 2010.
18-year old RHP Ryan Hartman (Cubs 2010 16th round draft pick out of Mt. Zion HS - Mt. Zion, IL) had an especially poor outing today, allowing five runs on six hits (three singles, a triple, and back-to-back home runs) plus a walk and a wild pitch in his two innings of work. Although he was selected in the 16th round in last June's draft, Hartman received a $150,000 bonus (equivalent to "5th round money") when he signed with the Cubs. He appeared in eight games for the AZL Cubs in 2010, allowing 10 hits in 14.1 IP, with a 5/15 BB/K, 3.77 ERA, and a 1.05 WHIP. He was considered one of the top high school pitching prospects in Illinois coming into the 2010 season, and his curve ball was rated by scouts as the best among Illinois HS hurlers.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Marco Hernandez, SS: 2-3 (1B+E5, E6, 1B+E1, R)
1b. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-1 (P-3)
2a. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (4-3, 6-4-3 GIDP, E6)
2b. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-1 (K)
3. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF: 1-4 (1B, F-7, F-7, L-6, RBI, R, 2 SB)
4. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 1-3 (K, HBP, 3B, F-7)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, E1, HBP, BB, CS)
6. Engel Santana, DH-C: 0-3 (6-3, BB, 4-3 GIDP, F-9)
7a. Willson Contreras, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, L-3 DP)
7b. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-0 (BB)
7c. Max Kwan, PH: 0-1 (4-3)
8. Delbis Arcila, LF-DH: 0-2 (HBP, 6-3, K)
9. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 0-2 (BB, K, 4-3)
10. Oliver Zapata, DH-LF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 2B, R)
1. Dustin Fitzgerald: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 31 pitches (23 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 HBP, 1 BALK, 23 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2 HR, 1 GIDP, 45 pitches (24 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Luis Liria: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 30 pitches (18 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
5. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
6. Cam Greathouse: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 BALK, 1 GIDP, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
1. C Sergio Burruel E-2 (overthrow on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
2. 3B Dustin Geiger: E-5 (dropped tag on run-down play allowed runner to reach 3rd base – eventually scored unearned run)
Sergio Burruel: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
Engel Santana: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
ATTENDANCE: 17 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Hot and sunny, with temperatures in the 90’s
2010 CUBS INSTRUCTIONAL LEAGUE ROSTER:
ACTIVE LIST (47):
* bats or throws left
# bats both
* Hunter Ackerman
* Brent Ebinger
* Cam Greathouse
* Casey Harman
* Jeff Lorick
* Brian Smith
Alvaro Sosa (ex-C)
Charles Thomas (ex-3B)
* Sergio Burruel
# Micah Gibbs
# Engel Santana
* Justin Bour
* Ryan Cuneo
* Pin-Chieh Chen
* Wes Darvill
* Marco Hernandez
* Hak-Ju Lee
D. J. Lemahieu
* Logan Watkins
* Delbis Arcila
Chris Huseby (ex-P)
* Kyung-Min Na
# Oliver Zapata
Down on the farm:
"Dealin'" Cease with another good outing for Eugene. Last 4 outings: 16IP, 1ER 29K. But, 10BB. Throw strikes, kid.
Candelario is killing it at Iowa after struggling at AA: .320/.406/.941 in 241AB. At age 22. Where the heck to put him next year?
UPDATE: Candy goes 3-5 tonight. Now hitting .325. Also, Almora 4-5, which is nice to see.
Happ and Jiminez to play in the AFL. Baseball is the best.
You magnificent Bastardo!
Difference is LaStella sucks, and Chapman doesn't
My guy Addy
he's attempting a comeback (or he's just very bored) and playing indie ball in the atlantic league...short-lived-cub brad snyder is also on his team.
very boring numbers for a guy with his experience in indie ball, though not bad numbers...probably not enough to get him a minor league deal at his age (33)
there goes heyward's gold glove win. bench him and bring up matt murton.
felt like 36 for sure....
Didn't LaHair hit 36 before the All Star Break? Then none after.
@CarrieMuskat 41s41 seconds ago Bryant is 1st #Cubs player to top 35 HRs since Aramis Ramirez hit 38 in 2006
surprised me, thought Soriano may have or Rizzo...maybe LaHair or Schierholtz too :)
Twitter tells me more boo's than cheers for LaStella.
What was the reaction in Chapman's first game? I was there about a week later and it was all cheers.
Not that the situations are a one-to-one, but...damn, priorities 'Murica.
bryant is good at doing home rons.
Word is Patton is refusing to report to Des Moines.