2010 Playoff Predictions

My annual useless guess at how the playoffs will go. To my lucky credit, I did nail 6 of 8 playoff teams this year and all 4 A.L. teams. I was too bearish on the Braves and Reds, and too bullish on the Cubs(as usual) and Cardinals. To the playoff predictions...

NLDS

Phillies vs. Reds

I'd be pretty shocked like a lot of folks if the Phillies aren't representing the NL in the World Series and I imagine a lot of folks are expecting this to be over in 3 or 4 games. Just to be different I'll take the Phillies in 5.

Braves vs. Giants

Neither put up inspiring performances in playoff-like atmospheres the final weekend, but the Braves trio of pitchers have been logging some real heavy innings just to get the Braves to the playoffs and they'll be without Martin Prado. Plus a a Giants vs. Phillies LCS would be damn fun. I'll take the Giants in 4.

ALDS

Rangers vs. Rays

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I believe whomever wins Game 1 of a five-game series wins an abundantly high percentage of them. With a Cliff Lee vs. David Price match-up it's a tough call. Normally I'd take Lee but if I heard the radio correctly last night, the Rays beat Lee three times this year. So I'll give the nod to the Rays in 5.

Yankees vs. Twins

I'd love to take the Twins and they seem to do just fine without Morneau for most of the year, but Yanks seem like the better team all-around. Yanks in 4.

LCS

Giants vs. Phillies

The Giants will have two lefties in the rotation to try and counter the Phils lineup and probably the best chance to knock-off the Phils besides the Yankees. That being said, the Phils have the bats and experience and some Roy Halladay desperation that I'm going to side with on this one. Phillies in 7.

Yankees vs. Rays

A flip of the coin, mine lands on the Rays in 7.

World Series

Rays vs. Phillies

The rematch we've all not been waiting for...I'll take Phillies in 6, just in hopes of curbing some of the A.L. superiority talk.

Comments

I did get Yanks right last year, like everyone else and just about nothing else right.

Pretty much matches up with what I think - with the Braves having the best shot at disrupting things. Who's got the best three starters and closer? Pick them.

B. Jackson sitting out with a sore heel.

-edit- didn't mean that to be a reply

and by Rays I meant Rangers...

I see it pretty much the same way. I'd like to see the Twins win in round 1, but don't think they will. Maybe if they had Morneau.

Off topic, but Kerry Wood since joining the Yankees was 2-0 with an 0.69 ERA in 24 games and 26 innings pitched. 14 hits and 18 BB with 31K. I'd sort of like to see him get a ring. I don't think Lee (who went .287/.384/.465 with an OPS+ of 130 with the Braves) or Fontenot will get one this year. DeRosa is on the Giants too, but injured.

anyone know if/where m.prior is gonna play winter ball?

His arm is going to fall off soon, why do it in winter ball?

to get to the other side.

*shrug*

seriously though, TEX signed him...put him in 1 AAA game...called it a season...

just wondering if he actually has winter plans besides calling tom house for phone sex.

Roy Halladay is kind of good.

Miguel Cairo was the bench bat Dusty could put in there?

I don't know. I was thinking if anyone would ruin a no hitter in the post season, it was most likely to be Miguel fucking Cairo... the Reds have too many Ex-Cubs, don't they?

I count 1 each

Cairo for the Reds
R. Gload for the Phillies

Edmonds didn't make the LDS roster.

Good odds I'm missing someone though.

cairo actually has hit holyday in his career, fwiw (4 for 11)

it appears his bench at that point consisted of P. Janish, R. Hanigan, C. Heisy, M. Cairo and L. Nix.

Probably go Nix myself but him and Cairo have similar numbers this year.

The Reds getting swept would sadly make me happy, so I'm fine with everything that doesn't work out for them.

Since i do miss taking jabs at Dusty, all kinds of stupid not to have the lefty Travis Wood start a game vs. Phillies in this series.

Twins play for one run in first against Yanks.

Sure.

Hey ROB G:

Where are the standings from pre-season picks?

• I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

The E-Man 6 min 51 sec ago view
  • Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

Old and Blue 1 hour 12 min ago view
  • Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 1 hour 19 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 20 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 22 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 1 hour 25 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 1 hour 33 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 34 min ago view
  • I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).

Arizona Phil 1 hour 55 min ago view
  • Given today's lineup -- maybe they just wanted an extra OF to give Dexter a few days off (i.e. day game after a night game).

billybucks 1 hour 58 min ago view
  • Tommy LaStella has three minor leaue options left so it's no big deal to send him to Iowa, but as of right now he projects to be at 2+124 MLB Service Time by the end of the of the 2016 MLB regular season, which will place him "on the bubble" as far as being eligible for salary arbitration as a "Super Two" post-2016.

But if he spends at least twenty days on optional assignment this season (anything less than twenty days and he will accrue a full season of MLB Service Time), he will not have enough MLB Service Time to have a chance to be a "Super Two."

Arizona Phil 2 hours 9 min ago view
  • this will be his 4th time leading off for the cubs this season...WITH A .500 OB%! HAIL MADDON! THE PLAN (c)2016! HE HAS RISEN! #YOLO #SWAG! KONY 2012!

• I don't hate Coghlan as a PHer but he's leading off today which is as bad as Austin Jackson doing so last year. He doesn't even have the speed.

• TLS has options. He will be up again in Sept, and maybe earlier.

Rob Richardson 3 hours 16 min ago view
  • Very odd -- TLS .308/.419 in July (in 26 AB). Strange move for a team struggling to score runs. Hard to imagine Coghlan doing better than that. Maybe they like Coghlan better as a PH?

• Sorry to nitpick -- but the first game wasn't a save.