2010 Playoff Predictions

My annual useless guess at how the playoffs will go. To my lucky credit, I did nail 6 of 8 playoff teams this year and all 4 A.L. teams. I was too bearish on the Braves and Reds, and too bullish on the Cubs(as usual) and Cardinals. To the playoff predictions...

NLDS

Phillies vs. Reds

I'd be pretty shocked like a lot of folks if the Phillies aren't representing the NL in the World Series and I imagine a lot of folks are expecting this to be over in 3 or 4 games. Just to be different I'll take the Phillies in 5.

Braves vs. Giants

Neither put up inspiring performances in playoff-like atmospheres the final weekend, but the Braves trio of pitchers have been logging some real heavy innings just to get the Braves to the playoffs and they'll be without Martin Prado. Plus a a Giants vs. Phillies LCS would be damn fun. I'll take the Giants in 4.

ALDS

Rangers vs. Rays

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I believe whomever wins Game 1 of a five-game series wins an abundantly high percentage of them. With a Cliff Lee vs. David Price match-up it's a tough call. Normally I'd take Lee but if I heard the radio correctly last night, the Rays beat Lee three times this year. So I'll give the nod to the Rays in 5.

Yankees vs. Twins

I'd love to take the Twins and they seem to do just fine without Morneau for most of the year, but Yanks seem like the better team all-around. Yanks in 4.

LCS

Giants vs. Phillies

The Giants will have two lefties in the rotation to try and counter the Phils lineup and probably the best chance to knock-off the Phils besides the Yankees. That being said, the Phils have the bats and experience and some Roy Halladay desperation that I'm going to side with on this one. Phillies in 7.

Yankees vs. Rays

A flip of the coin, mine lands on the Rays in 7.

World Series

Rays vs. Phillies

The rematch we've all not been waiting for...I'll take Phillies in 6, just in hopes of curbing some of the A.L. superiority talk.

Comments

I did get Yanks right last year, like everyone else and just about nothing else right.

Pretty much matches up with what I think - with the Braves having the best shot at disrupting things. Who's got the best three starters and closer? Pick them.

B. Jackson sitting out with a sore heel.

-edit- didn't mean that to be a reply

and by Rays I meant Rangers...

I see it pretty much the same way. I'd like to see the Twins win in round 1, but don't think they will. Maybe if they had Morneau.

Off topic, but Kerry Wood since joining the Yankees was 2-0 with an 0.69 ERA in 24 games and 26 innings pitched. 14 hits and 18 BB with 31K. I'd sort of like to see him get a ring. I don't think Lee (who went .287/.384/.465 with an OPS+ of 130 with the Braves) or Fontenot will get one this year. DeRosa is on the Giants too, but injured.

anyone know if/where m.prior is gonna play winter ball?

His arm is going to fall off soon, why do it in winter ball?

to get to the other side.

*shrug*

seriously though, TEX signed him...put him in 1 AAA game...called it a season...

just wondering if he actually has winter plans besides calling tom house for phone sex.

Roy Halladay is kind of good.

Miguel Cairo was the bench bat Dusty could put in there?

I don't know. I was thinking if anyone would ruin a no hitter in the post season, it was most likely to be Miguel fucking Cairo... the Reds have too many Ex-Cubs, don't they?

I count 1 each

Cairo for the Reds
R. Gload for the Phillies

Edmonds didn't make the LDS roster.

Good odds I'm missing someone though.

cairo actually has hit holyday in his career, fwiw (4 for 11)

it appears his bench at that point consisted of P. Janish, R. Hanigan, C. Heisy, M. Cairo and L. Nix.

Probably go Nix myself but him and Cairo have similar numbers this year.

The Reds getting swept would sadly make me happy, so I'm fine with everything that doesn't work out for them.

Since i do miss taking jabs at Dusty, all kinds of stupid not to have the lefty Travis Wood start a game vs. Phillies in this series.

Twins play for one run in first against Yanks.

Sure.

Hey ROB G:

Where are the standings from pre-season picks?

• If he puts up Soriano numbers I will be ecstatic

jacos 1 hour 38 min ago view
  • I think Javy is learning--but he's learning to make contact, not learning to lay off pitches out of the zone. A quick glance at his plate discipline numbers on Fangraphs shows that his contact rate is up, especially his contact rate out of the zone, but his swing rate is up too, especially his swing rate out of the zone.

• I definitely saw ballpark radar guns go up to 102 on Kerry Wood back when he was still a starter, but who knows how accurate they were.

• They've mentioned Henry Rodriguez (2013), Chris Carpenter, and Andrew Cashner as Cubs who have gone 100+. They said Rodriguez was tops at 100.8. Who knows before 2008?

QuietMan 3 hours 50 min ago view
  • Regarding Heyward--

He'll play regardless of what he does, just like Soriano played for seven years before they finally ditched him.

What can they do? All I can think of is they can keep hiring and firing hitting coaches until they find one who can get him to stop hitting balls with the handle of the bat.

(All those broken bats added to his paycheck is just a bit much.)

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 50 min ago view
  • Lester will probably be all right.

I think Arrieta might have added too much muscle preparing for that butt-naked ESPN photo shoot. Pitchers are supposed to be loose, not muscled up.

Seriously.

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 57 min ago view
  • I have basically written off Heyward for this year -- if you are working on major swing changes in late July, you are going to struggle. Hopefully, he can be more productive at the plate next year. It will be interesting to see what they do with him if the Cardinals keep winning and close the gap. Heyward is dead last in the NL in slugging and in the bottom 5 in OPS -- yet still has a positive WAR. Hunh.

billybucks 4 hours 38 sec ago view
  • Has anybody in a Cub uniform ever thrown a ball 103 before?

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 4 min ago view
  • He certainly looks better, no doubt, and is a different player than what we saw when he first came up. Full credit to him for changing his approach and saving his career.

But he has zero walks in 35AB since the break, and 10 in 251 AB all year. He does seem to be able to hit some pitches out of the zone, but, a guy with his pop should be drawing more walks. However, it's easy to forget he is still only 23, and probably trying to make an impact to prove he should be an everyday player.

• The usual suspects, Molina and Wong. Gyorko drew a walk with two outs, none on. I recall us (particularly Szczur and Bryant) swinging at everything Familia threw.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 15 min ago view
  • Yup. Thanks Q

• QuietMan 4 hours 28 min ago view
  • I for one hope that Sosa comes back soon.

Rob Richardson 4 hours 47 min ago view
  • O/B interesting you should mention that. Google ESPN Science Aroldis Chapman and you'll be treated to how his mechanics and delivery are possibly historic. It's the 120% of his body stretch plus the torque. They compare him to the Unit and NRyan.

• Amazing how much lower the production gets when Bryant runs into a mini-cold streak. He doesn't stay cold for long. If just one of Zobrist or, gulp, Heyward, gets hot, they oughta have one more really nice winning streak in them. Having a closer that you have absolute confidence in can't hurt.

• I hope they hold onto Jimenez. Outfield depth is questionable, especially with McKinney, who struggled this year but still, gone.