Family Feud at Camelback Ranch
Trayce Thompson crushed a towering home run and the White Sox scored five runs in the 6th to overcome a 3-1 deficit, as the Cubs dropped a 7-4 decision to their crosstown rivals in AZ Instructional League action at Camelback Ranch this afternoon.
In Chicago, “Crosstown Classic” means North-side versus South-side, but in Arizona it’s East-side (Cubs) versus West-side (Sox) when the two Windy City adversaries clash.
18-year old Reggie Golden (Cubs 2010 2nd round draft pick out of Wetumpka HS - Wetumpka, AL) had an eventful day, dropping a fly ball in RF for a two-base error in the bottom of the 1st inning (his third dropped fly ball in a week), striking out on three pitches (swinging) leading-off the top of the second, and doubling-up a baserunner at 1st base 9-3 to help Austin Reed escape a third inning jam, before launching an opposite-field solo HR--against the wind--in the 5th.
In addition to Golden’s HR, Evan Crawford tripled, scored two runs, and stole a base (the speedy Crawford was acquired by the Cubs from SF this past August in the Mike Fontenot deal), and 18-year old Venezuelan bonus baby Willson Contreras mashed a solo HR off the scoreboard beyond the LF fence. But it just wasn't enough.
Cubs 2010 9th round draft pick RHP Kevin Rhoderick (Oregon State) had another fine outing, striking out the side in his one inning of work, as he just blew the Sox hitters away.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Evan Crawford, CF: 1-3 (E5, 4-3, 3B, 2 R, SB)
1b. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-1 (K)
2. Gioskar Amaya, SS: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, K, RBI)
3a. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-3 (4-3, 1-3, F-8)
3b. Max Kwan, C: 0-1 (K)
4. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 2-4 (1B, F-9, 1B, 4-3, RBI)
5a. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-2 (K, F-9)
5b. Willson Contreras, 3B: 1-2 (P-5, HR, RBI, R)
6. Reggie Golden, RF-CF: 1-4 (K, HR, P-6, 6-3, RBI, R)
7. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
8. Chris Huseby, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, K, BB)
9. Delbis Arcila, DH #2: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, K)
10. Oliver Zapata, LF: 1-3 (6-3, 4-3, 1B)
1. Austin Reed: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 46 pitches (29 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
2. Ben Wells: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 13 pitches (6 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Hunter Ackerman: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (17 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Starling Peralta: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 25 pitches (20 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
5. Casey Harman: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 10 pitches (9 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
6. Kevin Rhoderick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 22 pitches (11 strikes)
1. RF Reggie Golden E-9 (dropped fly ball - two base error allowed batter to reach base)
2. P Hunter Ackerman E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base - allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
3. C Max Kwan E-2 (errant throw to 1st base after fielding swinging bunt in front of home plate - allowed batter to reach base - eventually scored unearned run)
Micah Gibbs: 1-2 CS
Max Kwan: 1 E (see above)
Reggie Golden doubled runner off 1st base 9-3 after L-9 out
Oliver Zapata doubled runner off 2nd base 7-4 after L-7 out
ATTENDANCE: 19 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Cloudy & breezy, with temperatures in the 80’s
how did ej martinez go from asking for $10m, to supposedly mulling over $7m offers, to eventually signing for $3m?
...and what happened with him and the giants a few days ago?
Its not official until AZ Phil adds him to the Cubs Depth Chart!
Just freakin love it!
From Keith Law:
This from a Kiley McDaniel chat a couple weeks ago...
"Comment From Wrenzie
Who has more ceiling between Yusniel Diaz or Eddy Julio Martinez?
Kiley McDaniel: Martinez. I have Eddy (20 years old) as a 65 runner with a 55 arm and 50 raw power that profiles as an everyday CF that could be above average depending on if the bat is a 45 or a 55. I have Yusniel (19) as a 60 runner with a 55 arm and 40 raw power that can be an everyday guy if he hits enough (50 or 55)."
"Per Jesse Sanchez at mlb.com, Cubs reportedly have signed 20-year old Cuban OF Eddy Julio Martinez for $3M bonus.
Arizona Phil 7 hours 23 min ago"
it's day old news, and it's got nothing to do with the cubs, but ichiro signed a $2m deal with MIA (with a $2m option for 2017).
neat. 41 years old and damn close to 3000 hits.
also, rain delays suck.
take that giants
I think that if a team objects to the 1-game wildcard playin game so much, they could just win the pennant and avoid themselves the trouble.
Per Jesse Sanchez at mlb.com, Cubs reportedly have signed 20-year old Cuban OF Eddy Julio Martinez for $3M bonus.
BLOCK: Of course any advantage is an advantage. An MLB, NBA, or NHL team getting the extra game at home in a seven game series is an advantage, I just don't think it is enough of an advantage for winning a division and/or having the best record in a conference or league over the course of an 82-game season (NBA and NHL) or 162 game series (MLB).
TEX takes the opening game from TOR (@TOR) 5-3.
TOR lost bautista + donaldson in-game due to injuries...TEX lost beltre...dunno if any will be lingering issues leading to missed games.
Ride the Kid Magic! Schwarber hadn't homered in a long time before last night.
Greg Maddux was 8-18 in his rookie season. Kyle has the 8 wins down pat.
Think Baby Maddux.
Prof. Harold Hill's THINK system at work.
Kyle is on the far left.
I support this. Hendricks has not only looked better lately but seems to start struggling after a few innings which is better than the 1st in the playoffs.
Just tweeted via Jesse Rogers: Hendricks starting Game 2. Wow. Just wow.