Giant Bats Quiet Cubs at Fitch Park
Tommy Joseph cracked a two-run home run to lead the Giants to a 12-1 drubbing of the Cubs in AZ Instructional League action at Fitch Park Field #1 in Mesa this afternoon. (Field #3 remains unplayable in the aftermath of the torrential rain and flash flood that hit Mesa Tuesday afternoon).
18-year old Korean bonus baby Jin-Yeong Kim got the start for the Cubs today, and was “lights out” through the first two innings, retiring the side in order in both innings, and striking out the side in the 2nd. But the youngster hit a wall in the top of the 3rd, walking the lead-off hitter on four pitches before allowing two singles and a double that ended his day. Kim also suffered some type of right leg injury while backing up 3rd base just before he was relieved, and was last seen limping to the Cubs bench before getting a ride to the clubhouse on a golf cart. Whether it was a groin, quad, knee, or ankle, I don’t know, but I have a feeling we have seen the last of Kim until next March.
2B Logan Watkins had to leave the game after colliding with RF Xavier Batista while going after a pop fly in short right in the top of the 5th. Watkins initially remained in the game and he did take his AB in the bottom of the inning, but then he was sent to the clubhouse for further evaluation. Hopefully he did not sustain a concussion, but it was a fairly violent collision (X. Batista is a big dude), and Watkins did lay motionless for a few seconds afterward.
Because Marco Hernandez and Gioskar Amaya had morning workouts and were not dressed for the game, and with Pin-Chieh Chen out with a rib injury and Wes Darvill having been sent home, 3B Willson Contreras was moved over to 2B for the final four innings. A converted catcher, Contreras had not previously played 2B in his pro career, but he handled his only two chances flawlessly.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Evan Crawford, RF: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 3B, R)
1b. Engel Santana, C: 0-1 (4-3)
2. Hak-Ju Lee, SS: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 4-3, RBI, SB)
3. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 0-1 (4-6-3 GIDP, BB, BB)
4. Justin Bour, 1B: 0-3 (F-7, 6-4-3 GIDP, 6-4-3 GIDP)
5. Xavier Batista, DH-RF: 0-3 (F-9, K, P-3)
6a. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-2 (4-3, 4-3)
6b. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-1 (F-9)
7. Micah Gibbs, DH #2: 0-3 (4-3, 3-U, K)
8. Reggie Golden, CF: 1-3 (P-4, 1B, K, CS)
9. Chris Huseby, LF: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
10a. Willson Contreras, 3B-2B: 0-2 (6-3, L-7)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 3rd TIME THRU ORDER
1. Jin-Yeong Kim: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 37 pitches (27 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
2. Jhon Rodriguez: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 HBP, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 46 pitches (30 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
3. Tarlandus Mitchell: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 43 pitches (23 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
4. Ryan Hartman: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
5. Amaury Paulino: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 21 pitches (14 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2B Logan Watkins E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base and unearned run to score from 2nd base)
ATTENDANCE: 16 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.
Contreras seems pretty adamant he'll play anywhere Madden wants him to so as long as he stays hot and with all the injuries it'll be pretty nice to have yet another bat Madden can move around.