2010 Playoff Predictions

My annual useless guess at how the playoffs will go. To my lucky credit, I did nail 6 of 8 playoff teams this year and all 4 A.L. teams. I was too bearish on the Braves and Reds, and too bullish on the Cubs(as usual) and Cardinals. To the playoff predictions...

NLDS

Phillies vs. Reds

I'd be pretty shocked like a lot of folks if the Phillies aren't representing the NL in the World Series and I imagine a lot of folks are expecting this to be over in 3 or 4 games. Just to be different I'll take the Phillies in 5.

Braves vs. Giants

Neither put up inspiring performances in playoff-like atmospheres the final weekend, but the Braves trio of pitchers have been logging some real heavy innings just to get the Braves to the playoffs and they'll be without Martin Prado. Plus a a Giants vs. Phillies LCS would be damn fun. I'll take the Giants in 4.

ALDS

Rangers vs. Rays

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I believe whomever wins Game 1 of a five-game series wins an abundantly high percentage of them. With a Cliff Lee vs. David Price match-up it's a tough call. Normally I'd take Lee but if I heard the radio correctly last night, the Rays beat Lee three times this year. So I'll give the nod to the Rays in 5.

Yankees vs. Twins

I'd love to take the Twins and they seem to do just fine without Morneau for most of the year, but Yanks seem like the better team all-around. Yanks in 4.

LCS

Giants vs. Phillies

The Giants will have two lefties in the rotation to try and counter the Phils lineup and probably the best chance to knock-off the Phils besides the Yankees. That being said, the Phils have the bats and experience and some Roy Halladay desperation that I'm going to side with on this one. Phillies in 7.

Yankees vs. Rays

A flip of the coin, mine lands on the Rays in 7.

World Series

Rays vs. Phillies

The rematch we've all not been waiting for...I'll take Phillies in 6, just in hopes of curbing some of the A.L. superiority talk.

Comments

I did get Yanks right last year, like everyone else and just about nothing else right.

Pretty much matches up with what I think - with the Braves having the best shot at disrupting things. Who's got the best three starters and closer? Pick them.

B. Jackson sitting out with a sore heel.

-edit- didn't mean that to be a reply

and by Rays I meant Rangers...

I see it pretty much the same way. I'd like to see the Twins win in round 1, but don't think they will. Maybe if they had Morneau.

Off topic, but Kerry Wood since joining the Yankees was 2-0 with an 0.69 ERA in 24 games and 26 innings pitched. 14 hits and 18 BB with 31K. I'd sort of like to see him get a ring. I don't think Lee (who went .287/.384/.465 with an OPS+ of 130 with the Braves) or Fontenot will get one this year. DeRosa is on the Giants too, but injured.

anyone know if/where m.prior is gonna play winter ball?

His arm is going to fall off soon, why do it in winter ball?

to get to the other side.

*shrug*

seriously though, TEX signed him...put him in 1 AAA game...called it a season...

just wondering if he actually has winter plans besides calling tom house for phone sex.

Roy Halladay is kind of good.

Miguel Cairo was the bench bat Dusty could put in there?

I don't know. I was thinking if anyone would ruin a no hitter in the post season, it was most likely to be Miguel fucking Cairo... the Reds have too many Ex-Cubs, don't they?

I count 1 each

Cairo for the Reds
R. Gload for the Phillies

Edmonds didn't make the LDS roster.

Good odds I'm missing someone though.

cairo actually has hit holyday in his career, fwiw (4 for 11)

it appears his bench at that point consisted of P. Janish, R. Hanigan, C. Heisy, M. Cairo and L. Nix.

Probably go Nix myself but him and Cairo have similar numbers this year.

The Reds getting swept would sadly make me happy, so I'm fine with everything that doesn't work out for them.

Since i do miss taking jabs at Dusty, all kinds of stupid not to have the lefty Travis Wood start a game vs. Phillies in this series.

Twins play for one run in first against Yanks.

Sure.

Hey ROB G:

Where are the standings from pre-season picks?

• if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.

#Bernie130orBust

• I see where catcher Cael Brockmeyer was promoted to Tennessee a couple of days ago, to fill a roster spot vacated by David Freitas, recently promoted to Iowa. Caratini is the other catcher at Tennessee.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 13 min ago view
  • They've already clinched a minimum winning percentage of .607 for the month, and that's only if they lose the last 2 games. If they win both, they can push that up to .679. So much for "stumbling" in May. When you're winning over 60% of your games, you're doing baseball well.

John Beasley 8 hours 27 min ago view
  • If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!

(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)

Number eight for Jimenez. His team is 31-17. Yesterday they scored 17 runs against Lansing. Two weeks ago it was 15 runs against the same team. This is a nice team, South Bend. The Cubs must have had a good draft last year.

Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.

VirginiaPhil 8 hours 34 min ago view
  • RIP Zoobrest.

• He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.

• In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.

• Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?

• 34-14...awww yeah.

• Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]

Eric S 15 hours 27 min ago view
  • ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.

cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/

• HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.

Arizona Phil 18 hours 57 min ago view
  • ERIC S: Best outing I've ever seen from Manny Rondon, and I've seen most of his outings since the Cubs got him from the Angels.

M. Rondon is competing with six others (Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Erling Moreno) for a starting slot at Eugene, and (as you can probably tell from the EXST box scores)  the competition has gotten fierce over the last couple of weeks, With the exception of Moreno, the Eugene SP candidates have upped their game lately, and M. Rondon's outing yesterday was especially impressive/dominating.

Arizona Phil 18 hours 59 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Pierce Johnsion was mixing a 92-94 MPH fastball with a plus-change-up AND curve, and he threw strike-after-strike-after-strike with all three of his pitches. I believe that was the best command and pitch-efficiency I've ever seen from Johnson, who often pitches from behind in the count and issues too many walks.

Of course now he has to avoid a recurrence of the lat strain (whch he has had previously in his career) as well as all of the other miscellaneous physical problems he's had over the last three years (hamstring, quad, back, etc).

Arizona Phil 19 hours 9 min ago view
  • PHIL: Any movement on P. Johnsons pitches? What was his "out" pitch? I know he was working on a 4th pitch, so wondering what he is looking like these days. Thanks.

• AZ Phil, has Nathan showed up in Mesa yet? Thanks.

Hagsag 1 day 37 min ago view