Cub Pitchers Mine Gold in Arizona Ball Fields
Five Cub pitchers combined to throw a two-hitter and Justin Bour drove-in two runs with an RBI single and a sacrifice fly, leading the Cubs to a 3-1 victory over the A’s Split Squad #2 in AZ Instructional League action at Papago Park Field #2 in Phoenix this afternoon.
Thanks to a GIDP, a PO, and a CS, Cubs pitchers faced only two batters above the minimum, and today’s pitching gem comes on the heels of the no-hitter thrown by five other Cubs pitchers on Saturday. (The Cubs did not play yesterday).
Cubs 7th round pick RHP Ben Wells (Bryant HS – Bryant, AR) got the start and threw two perfect innings with three strikeouts (the 18-year old Wells has exactly the same body-type as 1970’s Cubs pitching great Rick Reuschel), and 19-year old long & lanky (6’4 180) RHP Starling Peralta (considered one of the top two pitching prospects on this year’s DSL Cubs #1 squad) retired all eight men he faced, striking out five of them.
Cubs 2010 23rd round draft pick RHP Matt Loosen (U. of Jacksonville) left the game in the bottom of the 7th inning after being struck on the right side of the face by a line drive. He did not lose consciousness and he walked off the field under his own power.
Bob Dernier (outfield & baserunning instructor) and Mark Johnson (catching instructor) have joined the Cubs AZ Instructional League coaching staff at Fitch Park. Dernier spent the last month of the season as the Chicago Cubs 1st base coach.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Evan Crawford, CF: 2-4 (2B, F-7, 3-1, 1B, R)
2. Logan Watkins, DH #1: 1-3 (1-3 SH, 2B, F-9, F-7, R)
3. Micah Gibbs, C-DH: 1-3 (BB, 1B, F-7, F-7)
4a. Justin Bour, 1B: 1-2 (1B, F-7 SF, F-8, 2 RBI)
4b. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 0-1 (6-3)
5. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, P-3, 1B, BB, R, CS)
6. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-3 (K, K, 5-3 SH, 1-U)
7a. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, PO)
7b. Oliver Zapata, RF: NO AB
8. Sergio Burruel, DH-C: 0-2 (E4, 3-1, BB)
9. Chris Huseby, LF: 0-3 (1-6 FC, L-5, 6-U FC)
10. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
1. Ben Wells: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 21 pitches (14 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 30 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Amaury Paulino: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 35 pitches (19 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Matt Loosen: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 8 pitches (5 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Starling Peralta: 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 31 pitches (21 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SS Marco Hernandez E-6 (missed catch – two-base error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
2B Gioskar Amaya E-4 (overthrow at 1st base attempting to complete DP allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
Sergio Burruel: 1-1 CS
RF Reggie Golden - threw out batter trying to advance to 2nd base on line single to RF
ATTENDANCE: 17 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...
Tommy Birch [email protected] 4m4 minutes ago
Shane Victorino's locker at Principal Park is cleared out. #Cubs #MiLB
So, let me just make sure I understand... I could say something like the following, for example:
ryno: Off the record, I think that play was literally worse than Hitler.