Cub Pitchers Mine Gold in Arizona Ball Fields
Five Cub pitchers combined to throw a two-hitter and Justin Bour drove-in two runs with an RBI single and a sacrifice fly, leading the Cubs to a 3-1 victory over the A’s Split Squad #2 in AZ Instructional League action at Papago Park Field #2 in Phoenix this afternoon.
Thanks to a GIDP, a PO, and a CS, Cubs pitchers faced only two batters above the minimum, and today’s pitching gem comes on the heels of the no-hitter thrown by five other Cubs pitchers on Saturday. (The Cubs did not play yesterday).
Cubs 7th round pick RHP Ben Wells (Bryant HS – Bryant, AR) got the start and threw two perfect innings with three strikeouts (the 18-year old Wells has exactly the same body-type as 1970’s Cubs pitching great Rick Reuschel), and 19-year old long & lanky (6’4 180) RHP Starling Peralta (considered one of the top two pitching prospects on this year’s DSL Cubs #1 squad) retired all eight men he faced, striking out five of them.
Cubs 2010 23rd round draft pick RHP Matt Loosen (U. of Jacksonville) left the game in the bottom of the 7th inning after being struck on the right side of the face by a line drive. He did not lose consciousness and he walked off the field under his own power.
Bob Dernier (outfield & baserunning instructor) and Mark Johnson (catching instructor) have joined the Cubs AZ Instructional League coaching staff at Fitch Park. Dernier spent the last month of the season as the Chicago Cubs 1st base coach.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Evan Crawford, CF: 2-4 (2B, F-7, 3-1, 1B, R)
2. Logan Watkins, DH #1: 1-3 (1-3 SH, 2B, F-9, F-7, R)
3. Micah Gibbs, C-DH: 1-3 (BB, 1B, F-7, F-7)
4a. Justin Bour, 1B: 1-2 (1B, F-7 SF, F-8, 2 RBI)
4b. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 0-1 (6-3)
5. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, P-3, 1B, BB, R, CS)
6. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-3 (K, K, 5-3 SH, 1-U)
7a. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, PO)
7b. Oliver Zapata, RF: NO AB
8. Sergio Burruel, DH-C: 0-2 (E4, 3-1, BB)
9. Chris Huseby, LF: 0-3 (1-6 FC, L-5, 6-U FC)
10. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
1. Ben Wells: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 21 pitches (14 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 30 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Amaury Paulino: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 35 pitches (19 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Matt Loosen: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 8 pitches (5 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Starling Peralta: 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 31 pitches (21 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SS Marco Hernandez E-6 (missed catch – two-base error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
2B Gioskar Amaya E-4 (overthrow at 1st base attempting to complete DP allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
Sergio Burruel: 1-1 CS
RF Reggie Golden - threw out batter trying to advance to 2nd base on line single to RF
ATTENDANCE: 17 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
I love winning! It's, like, better than losing?
Its too bad Warren didnt get to pitch. He would have saved us.
Cubs have no spark and no life. Pretty boring to watch these days.
I thought trips to Miami were supposed to be fun. This one sucked.
The bottom half of the bullpen now turns close games into blowout losses. Not good.
6IP, 2ER. The last one scored because of another botched Zobrist DP turn.
And now, a bad throw by KB. Sloppy.
What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?
OK, boys -- find a way to win today.
There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:
Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel