Cubs Offense Tied in Nots at Papago Park
The A’s scored two runs in the bottom of the 7th to overcome a 2-0 deficit, and then neither team could plate another run, as the Cubs and the A’s Split Squad #1 played to a 2-2 tie in AZ Instructional League action at Papago Park Field #2 in Phoenix this afternoon.
The Cubs managed only two hits off A’s pitchers today, a Jae-Hoon Ha infield single with one out in the top of the 2nd, and a lead-off bunt single by Marco Hernandez in the top of the 9th. Ha’s hit led to the Cubs scoring their two runs, as the daring young Korean CF stole 2nd base, and then scored when Willson Contreras reached base on an E-5. Ha never stopped as he rounded third, scoring in a cloud of dust in a bang-bang play at the plate while Reggie Golden—who had reached on an HBP after Ha stole 2nd--advanced to third on the play at the plate, before scoring the second run of the inning when the A’s catcher rifled a throw into the LF corner trying to nab Golden at 3rd.
The Cubs pitching highlight of the day was RHP (ex-catcher) Alvaro Sosa working out of a bases-loaded & no outs jam in the bottom of the 3rd inning, getting two clutch strikeouts and a 5-4 FC to preserve what was at that time a 2-0 Cubs lead.
The Cubs maintained their 2-0 lead going into the bottom of the 7th, but 19-year old LHP Hunter Ackerman (Cubs 2010 4th round pick out of Louisburg JC) surrendered two doubles and a single (and the lead), as the A’s plated the tying runs. Ackerman has racked-up a 10.29 ERA and 2.57 WHIP so far in AZ Instructional League play, after putting up an 8.22 ERA and 2.02 WHIP for the AZL Cubs this past summer.
While the Cubs and A’s were kissing their sisters at the Papago Baseball Complex, the Mesa Solar Sox opened Arizona Fall League (AFL) play with an 8-3 victory over the Phoenix Desert Dogs one mile south at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. The Solar Sox are an amalgam of five MLB clubs, with the Cubs, Angels, Mets, Pirates, and Phillies each contributing seven prospects to the Mesa roster. Cubs assigned to the Solar Sox this year include RHPs David Cales, Chris Carpenter, Jake Muyco, and Kyle Smit, 3B-1B Josh Vitters, INF Ryan Flaherty, and OF Brett Jackson. None of the Cubs players assigned to the Solar Sox played in today’s game.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only) from the AZ Instructional League game played at Papago Park:
1a. Hak-Ju Lee, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-3, P-1)
1b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-1 (1B)
2a. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, 2-U, K)
2b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-1 (L-6)
3a. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-3 (K, 6-3, E3)
3b. Engel Santana, C: 0-1 (L-8)
4. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 0-3 (3-U, K, HBP, P-4)
5. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF-DH: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, K, R, SB)
6. Reggie Golden, DH-CF: 0-2 (HBP, 1-3, 4-6 FC, R)
7. Willson Contreras, 3B: 0-3 (E5, 6-3, K)
8. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (6-3, K, E5)
9. Delbis Arcila, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
10. Oliver Zapata, DH #2: 0-3 (K, K, F-7)
1. Alvaro Sosa: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 48 pitches (31 strikes), 4/3 GO/FO
2. Tarlandus Mitchell: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 30 pitches (19 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Hunter Ackerman: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 24 pitches (13 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Charles Thomas: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (10 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
5. Austin Reed: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
Sergio Burruel: 1-1 CS
Engel Santana: 1 PB
ATTENDANCE: 20 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy, with temperatures in the 90’s