Cubs Score with Small Ball
Evan Crawford singled twice, stole a base, and scored a run, and Justin Bour reached base three times on two singles and a HBP, leading the Cubs to a 2-1 victory over the A’s Split Squad #1 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
Trailing after a Michael Spina solo home run gave the A's a 1-0 lead in the top of the 1st, the Cubs scored their first run in the bottom of the 1st inning when lead-off man Evan Crawford (acquired from the Giants in the Mike Fontenot deal) reached base on an infield single to deep short, stole 2nd , advanced to 3rd on a Logan Watkins sacrifice bunt, and scored on an Engel Santana sacrifice fly.
The Cubs scored what proved to be the winning run in the bottom of the 7th. Justin Bour was hit by a pitch leading off the inning, and moved-up to 2nd base on a wild pitch. Oliver Zapata was sent-in to pinch run for Bour at this point, and Zapata advanced to 3rd on an errant pick-off throw by the A’s pitcher, and then scored on a passed ball.
Closer Kevin Rhoderick (2010 9th round pick out of Oregon State) pitched out of a one-out & bases loaded jam (of his own making) in the top of the 9th, getting a strikeout and an infield pop up to end the game.
Cubs 2010 2nd round pick Reggie Golden left the game with what appeared to be either lower back spasms or a right oblique strain.
18-year old Korean bonus baby RHP Jin-Yeong Kim threw off the mound today and looks to be ready to maybe get one more outing before Instructs concludes on Saturday. Kim left his last start with a leg injury.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Evan Crawford, CF: 2-4 (1B, F-9, E5, 1B, R, SB)
2. Logan Watkins, DH #1: 0-2 (1-3 SH, 3-1, 6-4 FC)
3a. Engel Santana, C: 0-2 (F-7 SF, 3-U, 4-3, RBI)
3b. Max Kwan, C: NO AB
4a. Justin Bour, 1B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, HBP)
4b. Oliver Zapata, PR-RF: NO AB (R)
5. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-3 (3-U, K, K)
6a. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, K)
6b. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: NO AB
7. Micah Gibbs, DH #2: 0-3 (4-3, 4-6 FC, 6-3)
8. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-3 (6-3, K, 6-3)
9. Chris Huseby, LF: 0-3 (1-3, K, 6-3)
10. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-3 (F-9, 6-3, 2B)
1. Jeff Lorick: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 43 pitches (27 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Jhon Rodriguez: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 40 pitches (21 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Luis Liria: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
4. Casey Harman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Kevin Rhoderick: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
Engel Santana: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy, with temperatures in the 90’s