Cubs Tie Up Loose Ends
The Cubs and Giants played to a 1-1 tie this morning at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale, in what was the Cubs final 2010 AZ Instructional League game.
The Cubs finished with a record of 7-9-4 in Instructional League play.
Cubs 2010 7th round draft pick RHP Ben Wells (Bryant HS – Bryant, AR) got the start for the Cubs today, and threw three innings of shutout ball, allowing two hits and no walks, while striking out three. In four Instructs appearances covering 7.1 IP, Wells allowed no runs on three hits and a walk, while striking out eight (0.00 ERA and 0.55 WHIP).
CF Evan Crawford singled in the third inning to extend his Instructs hitting streak to ten games (he hit safely in all ten games in which he played). In the ten games, Crawford hit 385/400/590, with four stolen bases (1 CS), and three strikeouts and no walks in 40 PA. He is probably the fastest player in the Cubs organization. (Crawford was the minor league prospect the Cubs got back from the Giants in the Mike Fontenot trade in August).
And SS Hak-Ju Lee extended his Instructs errorless streak to 11 games (all 11 games in which he played). He also hit 294/368/384 with three stolen bases (1 CS) in those 11 games.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Evan Crawford, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
2. Hak-Ju Lee, SS: 0-3 (6-3, 4-6 FC, 3-U)
3. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 0-2 (L-5, 4-3, BB, PO)
4. Justin Bour, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, BB)
5. Jae-Hoon Ha, RF: 0-3 (E5, F-9, 6-3 GIDP)
6. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-2 (5-3 SH, 1-3, 3-1)
7. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, 4-3)
8. Chris Huseby, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
9. Max Kwan, DH-C: 0-2 (6-3, K, BB, PO)
10. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (2B, 5-3, 1-3, R)
1. Ben Wells: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (26 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 24 pitches (15 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
3. Austin Reed: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 35 pitches (19 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
4. Alvaro Sosa: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Kevin Rhoderick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3B Dustin Geiger E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base)
Sergio Burruel: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, with temperatures in the 80’s
But, whatever. Umps are going to miss calls. Let's beat up on the non-Lackey starters.
Watched a little of Mets-Dodgers.
Jason deGrom -- oh, my.
Cubs 3-4-5 hitters are 0-21 so far in the post-season.
Let's change that in a big effin' way tomorrow, boys.
Rizzo and Bryant need to have good at bats. They are really looking outclassed in these two games.
that game sounds fun as hell.
TBS' K Zone seems to be more harsh than the others.
"Strop vs. Cardinals." Seen the movie. Hated it.
Sweet merciful fuck, I hate the Cardinals.
Oh well...Throw away game, although in a 5 game series there is no luxury afforded to do that.
This game is not on Lester - he did his job
Had a lot of hope hanging on that deep Fowler fly in the sixth.
Really despise the Cards