Wednesday Cubs News
- Despite the claims of the Illinois speaker of the House that the bond deal was dead, Tom Ricketts is pushing forward with union leaders in hand about how the Wrigley improvement project will do magnificent things for everyone. The drawings sure are pretty.
- The same link has Hendry's annual offseason quote that the trade market looks good this offesason.
- At cubs.com, Hendry says a lot without saying anything about first base. He does seem to indicate they'll take their time since there are so many options which is code for going on the cheap. He also indicates that adding pitching depth (relievers and starters) is the focus so don't expect any big names, if for some reason you were. Looks like the Cubs are gonna be dumpster diving this offseason for players, which certainly can work out...or not.
- Heyman says the Cubs and just about the entire National League isn't very interested in Adam Dunn.
- Harry Caray's in Wrigleyville is closing down, bad mojo between the resteraunt and landlord. They are seeking another Wrigleyville location.
- The BP Cup - given to the winner each year of the Cubs vs. White Sox interleague series - earned the honor of one of the lamest sport trophies...well done everyone involved.
BONUS LINK: Jayson Stark has his take on the Cubs and that take is that Mike Quade can turn water into wine.
Just had to ask, I guess.
Haven't had a big comeback win in a long time (at least it seems like a long time). Great feeling!
Rizzo should hold clinics on 2-strike hitting. Awesome.
cubs lead in the top 7th!
triple, walk, domination
And he gets out of it by K-ing Braun, Lucroy and Carter!
Let's get some runs!
welcome to the cubs j.nathan.
2 pitches into the inning and there's a guy on 3rd with 0 outs (triple).
his velocity is hanging around 91/92mph.
Always a good idea to bring in Richard against a LH batter.
Russell left game with left heel contusion from foul ball on Saturday. Started to bother him during the Sunday game.
a.russell out and down into the clubhouse...no one knows why.
it's very hot on the field, so it might be heat related.
I blame the All-Star game again, or else Michael Barrett.
Miller park roof is closing. Hmmm, might play differently now?
Lester at 72 pitches through 3. Roof closing might get him through 6.
Middlebrows pulls a calf or hamstring. Len says he blew a tire rounding 1st. Nieuwenhuis enters game.
Now roof opening. Dizziness. No AC in the ballpark wrt the field.
just to lighten the mood:
Shark's day: 5.2 IP 5 Runs (all earned), 8 Hits, 2 HR. Left the game down 5-0 to Yankees.
Anyone expecting game 4 NLCS Shark vs Hammel or Lackey?
First inning: two on, no out, Rizz and Zobrist due up. Don't score.
Third inning: two on, one out, KB and Rizz due up. Don't score.
This is getting' old, fellahs.
KB still with ZERO RBI since the A/S break. Ouch.
62 through 2ip...yow.
it's an off day for d.ross, too. the wild pitch + passed ball in 2 separate strike 3 calls allowing the runner to reach 1st and the 5sb through 2ip makes for a bad game so far. ross cant shoulder any blame for some of those SBs, especially that villar steal of 3rd while lester watched him.
39 pitch inning by Lester. I guess it's a wash vs yesterday's 1st when Lackey gave up 2 run HR.
39 pitch, 2 run, 1st inning for lester. bleh.
horrible control so far today.