Ron Santo 1940-2010

Chicago Cubs great Ron Santo died last night here in Arizona.

A native of Washington, Santo signed with the Cubs prior to the 1959 season, was brought up to the big leagues as a 20-year old in mid-season 1960 after only one full season in the minor leagues, was immediately installed at the hot corner (replacing Don Zimmer), and never looked back. He hit 277/362/464 with 342 HR over a 15 year career spanning 2243 games. He won five Gold Gloves at 3B (1964-68), and was a nine-time All-Star. He did all this while battling diabetes. He was traded to the White Sox (for Steve Stone and three others) after the 1974 season when the "Durocher Cubs" were dismantled, and spent his final MLB season on the South Side. But his heart always belonged to the Cubs.

Santo joined WGN Radio as a Cubs broadcaster in 1990, and just recently completed his 21st year behind the mike. While his emotional style of broadcasting irritated some Cubs fans, there is no denying his sincerity. He lived and died with each Cub win and loss.

Santo had battled numerous physical prioblems over the past few years, including cardiac by-pass surgery, bladder cancer, and complications from his diabetes that resulted in amputation of both legs. He also had to deal with the continual disappointment of not getting elected to the Hall of Fame.

Despite the medical problems and other disappointments in his life (not the least of which was the Cubs failing to get to the World Series), Ronnie always was upbeat and as physically active as he could be under the circumstances.

I became a Cub fan in 1960 when I was six years old. So Ron Santo and I go back a long way.

Tags:

Comments

One of the greatest Cubs players of all time. I always hoped that, in your lifetime, you'd either get to be enshrined in the players wing of Cooperstown or see the Cubs win the World Series. RIP.

He not only was one of the greatest Cubs of all time, he was the biggest Cubs fan ever. RIP

This is a sad day for Cub fans. One of my favorite Cubs.

RIP Ronnie. You are in the best "Hall of Fame" now.

RIP Ronnie. I know you are relieved of all the physical pain you have suffered in your life. You were a very strong man to put up a fight as long as you did to make millions of Cub fans smile.

God bless your soul.

RIP 10, vaya con Dios.

He is truly beloved. A hero on and off the field, a Cub who really tried to bring a pennant to Chicago, in his later years he was a fan just like us. And he made being a fan fun.

Rest in peace Ronnie. Listening to games will not be the same.

Ronnie can click his heels again. RIP #10. You were the best.

amen...

---
me too, when I was 8. We're like ducklings who imprinted on the ballclub that season with a rookie third baseman.

I didn't think it would affect me this much but Ron Santo's impact goes deep to the core of most Cub fans who've been along for the Santo ride. He will be missed.

AZP - we're the same age, you & i...feel like i've known ron santo all my life; all things considered [stats, medical circumstances, post-retirement role as an ambassador of the game]his exclusion from the HOF is a travesty to me; i think i hope he's not inducted posthumously though - that would deepen all of the past snubs...as my tcr bio notes, being there the weekend in '03 when the cubs clinched on saturday & #10 was retired on sunday was maybe my most memorable trip to wrigley...

He will be missed.

He weathered a lot of adversity in his life with cheerfulness and grace and did some great things.

too soon...

My saddest thought as a fan was that my 3 week old son Ryan won't get to hear Ronny call games.

Rest In Peace, Ronny. You are missed.

Thanks for this, Phil.

• Richard DFA'd. Meh...

The E-Man 24 min 13 sec ago view
  • Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 3 hours 29 min ago view
  • If the ball didn't deflect off the pitcher's mound, the game wouldn't have ended. Montgomery did miss his location though, but if that same contact was made and went in any of direction, good chance of ground out if it doesn't get through.

If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.

Also, If KB wasn't robbed of a HR, perhaps we would have won. We will never know. Nice play by Melky though.

chitownmvp01 3 hours 31 min ago view
  • The comparison isn't Chapman replacing Rondon. It's Chapman replacing Richard (hopefully) in the pen. Chapman's better.

• I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

JoePepitone 7 hours 47 min ago view
  • Been quite the roller-coaster the past two days -- both games, plus the Chapman kerfuffel. How about a couple of nice, comfortable wins before facing Sale? Cubs should definitely wear throwbacks for that game.

• The Cubs are stronger defensively than most of the teams they play. In order to capitalize on that, they have to a) put the ball in play and b) run the bases aggressively.

That said, Cabrera has a strong, accurate arm, as witnessed by his 97 outfield assists over 12 seasons--mostly left field but also a lot of center. Bryant is rarely thrown out, but I guess you have to know who's throwing the ball.

VirginiaPhil 9 hours 36 min ago view
  • On the other hand, Pries won his first start for Iowa, only giving up two HRs in the process. This trade has got some legs yet!

Eric S 18 hours 45 min ago view
  • KB now with 0 RBI in his last 10 games and 1 in his last 15, despite having 19 hits in his last 15 games and raising his batting average from .278 to .286 over that span.

Maybe have Zobrist hit 2 and KB hit 4?

Also -- no HR in the last 15 games -- time for a bunch. Starting tomorrow.

billybucks 19 hours 53 sec ago view
  • Down a run. Fowler on first. Nobody out. KB singles to left, Fowler makes it to third, perfect throw from Cabrera nails KB trying to stretch for 2nd.

So, instead of 1st & 3rd and no out, you have 3rd with one out. It was a perfect throw, but why take the chance with 3-4-5 hitters coming up?

• Must be a Cub thing - our lefties can;t get lefties out.

• Splitting hairs, but Jake's pitch was poor execution, while KB's play was a poor decision (and the 2nd time he got thrown out trying to stretch in the game). Poor execution happens. Poor decisions are preventable. Speaking of poor decisions -- Baez's steal of 3rd made absolutely no sense.

• Didn't Jake cost them the game with a pitch to Frazier?

• Missed the play w/Bryant. What happened?

• Not a good decision by Bryant in the 9th. That may have cost them the game.