Cubs Saturday Rumor Round-Up
Since I know you beasts are dying to gossip...
- ESPN Boston reported that the Red Sox made some progress in acquiring Adrian Gonzalez. Ken Rosenthal countered that the Cubs are very much in the mix (tease). Buster Olney one upped them both this morning and is reporting a deal is in place for Gonzalez to go to the Red Sox pending a physical and the team has been granted a window to try and negotiate an extension.
- Zack Greinke is another big name the Cubs should be in on, but will fall short landing. The latest rumor there is the Rangers are trying to get him and Cliff Lee this offseason. The Cubs instead are focused on...
- Jerry Crasnick tweeted yesterday that the Nats & Cubs are gonna duke it out for Brandon Webb. The Cubs lost the first round battle against the Nats last year over Matt Capps. And in case you forgot, the last time Webb pitched for anyone to watch he was hitting 84 mph on the gun. Now Fangraphs says his average was 88mph back in the heyday, so I guess he can find 4 mph as he progresses, but that's what most of us guessed about Mark Prior all those years too.
- Aaron Harang is going to try and resurrect his career at pitcher-friendly Petco Park.
- Bleacher Nation has its own source saying the Cubs could be landing Chris Davis soon. Ace over there is on the up and up, so I'm sure he indeed was told that, but like so many rumors, that doesn't mean it will end up happening.
Rumors will be flying with Winter Meetings ready to start, so stay tuned to this bat channel.
Yeah... that was some very athletic stuff from Willson in the 9th. Impressive.
I think Chapman and Wood both need 2 days off -- rosters expand, bring 'em up!
Cubs now 41-15 in August in the Maddon era. That'll do. That will effing do.
31 pitches, 2 hits, 1 walk, and 3 wild pitches later...the cubs win by 1.
contreras snagged some other potential wild pitches in this chapman appearance.
22 wins in august. woo.
Down on the farm:
"Dealin'" Cease with another good outing for Eugene. Last 4 outings: 16IP, 1ER 29K. But, 10BB. Throw strikes, kid.
Candelario is killing it at Iowa after struggling at AA: .320/.406/.941 in 241AB. At age 22. Where the heck to put him next year?
UPDATE: Candy goes 3-5 tonight. Now hitting .325. Also, Almora 4-5, which is nice to see.
Happ and Jiminez to play in the AFL. Baseball is the best.
You magnificent Bastardo!
Difference is LaStella sucks, and Chapman doesn't
My guy Addy
he's attempting a comeback (or he's just very bored) and playing indie ball in the atlantic league...short-lived-cub brad snyder is also on his team.
very boring numbers for a guy with his experience in indie ball, though not bad numbers...probably not enough to get him a minor league deal at his age (33)
there goes heyward's gold glove win. bench him and bring up matt murton.
felt like 36 for sure....
Didn't LaHair hit 36 before the All Star Break? Then none after.
@CarrieMuskat 41s41 seconds ago Bryant is 1st #Cubs player to top 35 HRs since Aramis Ramirez hit 38 in 2006
surprised me, thought Soriano may have or Rizzo...maybe LaHair or Schierholtz too :)
Twitter tells me more boo's than cheers for LaStella.
What was the reaction in Chapman's first game? I was there about a week later and it was all cheers.
Not that the situations are a one-to-one, but...damn, priorities 'Murica.