2010 Winter Meetings Day One
6:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Count on Sean Marshall as Marmol's set-up man next year as well as an echo that Cashner could be moved to the rotation.
4:13 PM CST (Rob G.): Damn. Loney and Broxton for Prince Fielder? Apparently they're talking.
2:15 PM CST (Rob G.): Rosenthal also says that Loney is very unlikely to be moved.
YESTERDAY (Rob G.): Some important stuff (as important as baseball rumors can be) from Levine yesterday that I haven't seen mentioned.
- Cubs offered Berkman the same $8M as the Cardinals but with deferred payments.
- Lyle Overbay is also on the Cubs 1b radar.
- If the Cubs can't sign a starting pitcher, expect Andrew Cashner to move to the rotation.
- Kerry Wood is a possibility if he's willing to accept the dollars($5M or less) and set-up role.
- Fukudome will be shopped.
2:15 PM CST (Rob G.): Gorden Edes says the Blue Jays are making a push for Carlos Pena.
2:10 PM CT (Cubnut): Steve Henson of Yahoo Sports (@stevehenson333) says a Dodgers source told him Loney will not be traded "because he'd be too expensive to replace on free agent market."
1:05 PM CST (Rob G.): As Arizona Phil predicted, Mark Riggins will be named the new Cubs pitching coach. Expect an official announcement tonight.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Steve Philips (stop laughing), says Cubs are one of four teams interested in Dan Wheeler.
- The asking price for Loney? Nats say Colletti wanted SS Ian Desmond and RHP Jordan Zimmerman. Apparently the moon isn't available in trades this year.
As we attempt to do every year, a running list of the rumors flying out of the Winter Meetings today, athough I'm gonna be tied for most of the day.
- Joel Sherman is saying Cubs and White Sox were the other serious bidders for Gonzalez and they were particularly intrigued by the Cubs prospects, though Starlin Castro was not going to be traded.
- Padres will look at the plethora of free agent first basemen to fill the void left by Gonzalez's departure including Derrek Lee and Adam LaRoche.
- Ken Rosenthal says the Dodgers' James Loney is available in a trade and the Cubs could be interetested.
- If the minor leagues are your thing, John Sickels has his top 20 list up for the Cubs. Brett Jackson gets the top spot, but shares a B+ rating with Trey McNutt and Chris Archer.
i'd settle for him knocking it out the park...not settle, prefer...yeah.
I'm sure she'll knock it out of the park.
Nice article on Willson Contreras in the DesMoines Register
Julianna Zobrist will sing national anthem (Memorial Day) at Wrigley today.
Tribune interviews her...
Any word on Neil Ramirez?? Today is his 10th day where they have had to have done something with him, or are they not count today because it is a holiday??
if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.
I see where catcher Cael Brockmeyer was promoted to Tennessee a couple of days ago, to fill a roster spot vacated by David Freitas, recently promoted to Iowa. Caratini is the other catcher at Tennessee.
They've already clinched a minimum winning percentage of .607 for the month, and that's only if they lose the last 2 games. If they win both, they can push that up to .679. So much for "stumbling" in May. When you're winning over 60% of your games, you're doing baseball well.
If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!
(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)
Number eight for Jimenez. His team is 31-17. Yesterday they scored 17 runs against Lansing. Two weeks ago it was 15 runs against the same team. This is a nice team, South Bend. The Cubs must have had a good draft last year.
Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.
He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.
In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.
Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?
Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]
ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.
cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/