2010 Winter Meetings Day One
6:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Count on Sean Marshall as Marmol's set-up man next year as well as an echo that Cashner could be moved to the rotation.
4:13 PM CST (Rob G.): Damn. Loney and Broxton for Prince Fielder? Apparently they're talking.
2:15 PM CST (Rob G.): Rosenthal also says that Loney is very unlikely to be moved.
YESTERDAY (Rob G.): Some important stuff (as important as baseball rumors can be) from Levine yesterday that I haven't seen mentioned.
- Cubs offered Berkman the same $8M as the Cardinals but with deferred payments.
- Lyle Overbay is also on the Cubs 1b radar.
- If the Cubs can't sign a starting pitcher, expect Andrew Cashner to move to the rotation.
- Kerry Wood is a possibility if he's willing to accept the dollars($5M or less) and set-up role.
- Fukudome will be shopped.
2:15 PM CST (Rob G.): Gorden Edes says the Blue Jays are making a push for Carlos Pena.
2:10 PM CT (Cubnut): Steve Henson of Yahoo Sports (@stevehenson333) says a Dodgers source told him Loney will not be traded "because he'd be too expensive to replace on free agent market."
1:05 PM CST (Rob G.): As Arizona Phil predicted, Mark Riggins will be named the new Cubs pitching coach. Expect an official announcement tonight.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Steve Philips (stop laughing), says Cubs are one of four teams interested in Dan Wheeler.
- The asking price for Loney? Nats say Colletti wanted SS Ian Desmond and RHP Jordan Zimmerman. Apparently the moon isn't available in trades this year.
As we attempt to do every year, a running list of the rumors flying out of the Winter Meetings today, athough I'm gonna be tied for most of the day.
- Joel Sherman is saying Cubs and White Sox were the other serious bidders for Gonzalez and they were particularly intrigued by the Cubs prospects, though Starlin Castro was not going to be traded.
- Padres will look at the plethora of free agent first basemen to fill the void left by Gonzalez's departure including Derrek Lee and Adam LaRoche.
- Ken Rosenthal says the Dodgers' James Loney is available in a trade and the Cubs could be interetested.
- If the minor leagues are your thing, John Sickels has his top 20 list up for the Cubs. Brett Jackson gets the top spot, but shares a B+ rating with Trey McNutt and Chris Archer.
LaTroy is going to LaTroy
I am remarkably calm about today's game. Not that I am expecting to win, but that I have no expectations at all either way.
If the Cubs game goes to 14 innings, I will no longer be calm.
TEX/TOR in the 14th inning, btw...fun stuff.
Yay! KB at 3B!
Molina in the Cards lineup.
Fowler (CF), Schwarber (RF!), Bryant (3B), Rizzo (1B), Castro (2B), Coughlan (LF), Russell (SS), Ross (C), Lester (P)
If the baseball gods would guarantee that result, I'd take it :-).
I wonder if it is about numbers specifically against the Mets. But, it could also be because Kershaw can go 9 innings everytime, while Grienke very rarely makes it through the game. They don't want to expose their weak bullpen.
I have trouble getting past the extraordinary 1.66 ERA, but I don't know what the heck will happen with the Cy Young vote this year.
So Kershaw is opening the series for the Dodgers. How, then, does Greinke get the Cy Young? Not even the best pitcher on his team!
You have angered the baseball gods. Now Lester will lose and Hendricks will win.
Cubs go home 1-1, with Arrieta starting game 3, I like our chances in this series. Tomorrow's pitching matchup is lousy on paper, so today is obviously crucial.
Will be fun to watch. My two keys are scoring early, and keeping Lester's pitch count below 15 per inning.
Hopefully Der Kaiser won't be doing this until December
So, yes, I have been quoting your, "mediocre pitcher" label all year in jest - good or bad.
He has been pretty filthy against the Cards, and this is the game they need to "steal".
I am hoping against hope that Pedro Strop only sees the mound if the Cubs are up 8 in a game.
I've been pretty harsh with Lester here at various times but that's how it is when you pull in that kind of money, and besides, it's not like he reads my posts or would care what I have to say if he did read them for some reason. If I was him, the first thing out of my mouth would be, what level have you played this game at, pal?
Anyway, he's really looked good lately, and overall his body of work turned out pretty good, too. I'm glad his worst struggles were in April. This is such an easy team to like that I even like the overpaid free agent.
Gordo's lede today:
ST. LOUIS – Whether it’s a year early or right on time, Jon Lester’s $155 million moment arrives just after 5:45 p.m. Friday.
*checks pulse again*