2010 Winter Meetings Day One
6:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Count on Sean Marshall as Marmol's set-up man next year as well as an echo that Cashner could be moved to the rotation.
4:13 PM CST (Rob G.): Damn. Loney and Broxton for Prince Fielder? Apparently they're talking.
2:15 PM CST (Rob G.): Rosenthal also says that Loney is very unlikely to be moved.
YESTERDAY (Rob G.): Some important stuff (as important as baseball rumors can be) from Levine yesterday that I haven't seen mentioned.
- Cubs offered Berkman the same $8M as the Cardinals but with deferred payments.
- Lyle Overbay is also on the Cubs 1b radar.
- If the Cubs can't sign a starting pitcher, expect Andrew Cashner to move to the rotation.
- Kerry Wood is a possibility if he's willing to accept the dollars($5M or less) and set-up role.
- Fukudome will be shopped.
2:15 PM CST (Rob G.): Gorden Edes says the Blue Jays are making a push for Carlos Pena.
2:10 PM CT (Cubnut): Steve Henson of Yahoo Sports (@stevehenson333) says a Dodgers source told him Loney will not be traded "because he'd be too expensive to replace on free agent market."
1:05 PM CST (Rob G.): As Arizona Phil predicted, Mark Riggins will be named the new Cubs pitching coach. Expect an official announcement tonight.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Steve Philips (stop laughing), says Cubs are one of four teams interested in Dan Wheeler.
- The asking price for Loney? Nats say Colletti wanted SS Ian Desmond and RHP Jordan Zimmerman. Apparently the moon isn't available in trades this year.
As we attempt to do every year, a running list of the rumors flying out of the Winter Meetings today, athough I'm gonna be tied for most of the day.
- Joel Sherman is saying Cubs and White Sox were the other serious bidders for Gonzalez and they were particularly intrigued by the Cubs prospects, though Starlin Castro was not going to be traded.
- Padres will look at the plethora of free agent first basemen to fill the void left by Gonzalez's departure including Derrek Lee and Adam LaRoche.
- Ken Rosenthal says the Dodgers' James Loney is available in a trade and the Cubs could be interetested.
- If the minor leagues are your thing, John Sickels has his top 20 list up for the Cubs. Brett Jackson gets the top spot, but shares a B+ rating with Trey McNutt and Chris Archer.
Glad to see Hudson having another good outing. He is so impressive for an 18/yo. Surprised to see Shane V. still there. I thought he would be gone this week. I can picture today. Thanks Phil!
stats don't lie. *nods*
2016 Cubs are 0-1 on day after Trans recaps, 20-5 in other games. I enjoy his recaps, but there is a price to pay.
He's the Albert Pujols of recaps and has gotten a huge contract based on past performance. He doesn't need to do anything the rest of his days and he'll still get love.
I thought he was one-and-done on recaps?
Didn't he get Optioned?
Thank you very much for such a robust response. So hard to get anything on these guys that it's nice to hear from someone who has actually seen them. Great to hear about Paredes, I have pretty high hopes for this group of IFAs.
How impressed are you with these guys and size? I know they're pretty large prospects, especially for their ages. I consider size a plus at this stage - IIRC Amaya is the only one below 6'2"? IIRC Kwon had some baby fat on him it, Sierra's traditionally considered projectable as he's all arms and legs, Paredes has that Peralta build at SS....
Godzilla won in the Japanese version, Kong swam off in the American one. At least I think that's how it went....Rematch in 2020, possibly!
He has a community everywhere and he can go into any bathroom he damn well chooses.. His recaps are that good.
Trans has a community in NC?
i do hold strong feelings for which bathroom lester should use...mostly because i think he'd make a huge mess at a stand up urinal.
Phil, any news on Oscar de la Cruz? Is he actively rehabbing?
Obama approves that message, as does the Trans community in N.C.
The advantage we have is Ross is a bit susceptible to the walk and this Cubs team, you know, walks a lot.
get a room, you two. actually, bring it in for a group hug! yeah!
The Crunch Reporter thanks you for your input. my feelies...however...weep for the future of this country.
@The E-man ♥ (for that post)