2010 Winter Meetings Day Two
10:32 PM CST (Rob G.): Reader QuietMan does it again with this Bruce Levine radio report. Levine speculates that Pena is going to cost around 2/14 with either a 3rd year vesting option or a club option.
- He puts A. Galarragga for Gorzelanny out there.
- Says Chris Davis is a back-up plan if they don't get Pena..
- Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram says the Cubs have interest in Chris Davis but aren't going to give up much.
7:32 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Miles pees all over the Davis/O'Day rumor.
6:05 PM CST (Rob G.): Joe Cowley tweeting some nonsense about Konerko to the Cubs.
6:00 PM CST (Rob G.): Ed Price tweets that a deal is in the works involving Chris Davis and Darren O'Day coming to the Cubs.
And fwiw, I don't believe getting Chris Davis would prevent the Cubs from going after Pena, LaRoche and the like. No way the Cubs are handing him Davis the 1b job. My guess is he's a utility option (as he can play 3b as well) and Rudy Jamarillo project for the future.
4:23 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine radio report thanks to one of our awesome readers.
- Detroit with interest in Gorzelanny (Link from Detroit papers here).
- Ignore the LaRoche talk, Cubs making push for Pena on a 2-year deal with a possible 3rd year option.
Link to ESPN Chicago saying Cubs will meet with Pena's agent again later today.
4:16 PM CST (Rob G.): It seems everyone expects Konerko to sign with the White Sox. Orioles will be "in on" Derrek Lee if the medicals check out.
- Teams are showing interest in Rich Harden, possibly as a reliever.
- Matt Garza is another top starting pitcher that could be moved with the Brewers and Rangers mentioned at the moment.
4:14 PM CST(Rob G.): How I love Wrongway! His last tweet.
Look out for the #Brewers. They're rekindling Matt Garza talks with Rays. Possible deal could include supposedly "untouchable'' Matt Cain.
3:55 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Miles though doubts the Cubs interest in LaRoche.
3:46 PM CST (Rob G.): Scott Miller takes it a step further and says the Cubs would like to close a deal soon with LaRoche.
2:48 PM CST (Rob G.): I guess Carlos Pena is going to be too expensive. Morosi says Cubs are going after Adam LaRoche.
12:31 PM CST (Rob G.): The Cubs and Webb's representatives have a meeting scheduled this afternoon according to Jerry Crasnick.
12:21 PM CST (Rob G.): Some nuggets from Bruce Levine's chat.
- Colvin is Plan B if the Cubs don't find a first basemen they like. Even if they do, Colvin will work on the position to give Quade some flexibility during the season.
- Fukudome is on the block, but only if Hendry knows he's getting another left-handed bat, either in the trade or ready to sign.
- The Cubs have talked relievers with Toronto and Texas with Jason Frasor's name coming up. There seems to be a Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos deal that would work for both teams but the Cubs want to expand it and get a major league reliever in exchange for adding a starting pitcher to the deal.
- Gorzelanny can be had, but only if the Cubs have a deal in place for another starting pitcher.
11:30AM CT (Cubnut): Rosenthal mentions "Kerry Wood" and "White Sox" together. Yeechhh! KR says Yankees also still interested in Kid K but won't deal with it until after Cliff Lee lands.
Day 2 of Operation .500
- The guy who voted for 2 Pirates in the Rookie of the Year voting this year is saying the Cubs are shopping Tom Gorzelanny "aggressively". I think in rumor speak that means Hendry called at least 2 other GM's.
- Hendry met with Scott Boras last night and brought his muscle with him, Greg Maddux. It's assumed they chatted about Carlos Pena, but don't forget Xavier Nady is his client too. I thought I'd put that thought in your head....Merry 'Effin Christmas!
- The same article says Cubs also have Adam LaRoche and Lyle Overbay on their radar.
- Brandon Webb is being courted by the Nats, Cubs and Pirates. The Cubs have been in talks with the Blue Jays, Rangers and Reds as well with only Chris Davis's name being mentioned.
Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!
I hope he continues improving.
And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.
They picked up 3 games this last week.
I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.
Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.
BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.
The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.
Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent
I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.
chased a high fastball...
I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950
Great stuff CubbyBlue!!! I think it inspired today's six spot as well.
That's all fine and good, but I think it's short-changing the Arrieta-like affect of his beard
Was the error scored on Zobrist's third ab ruled correctly? Ron was saying that it was a pretty tough chance for the fielder
Did anybody see that Zobrist strikeout?
That was extremely disappointing.
Strangest win of the year, and one of the sweetest. Twice I thought it was easily in the bag, then after the first 2 hitters in the 9th I thought all was lost. Big game for Grimm, Strop & Rondon. But, man, those Cards can hit for power.
Very satisfying, gut-check win today. The beers on the trip back to Chicago are going to taste fantastic.
It's still very early but this game felt very important to me and probably knocked 2 years off my life. Seemed like every inning was big.
Yes then they moved him two spot then not so much, back batting 7th
This is the exact game that the Cubs would have lost in years past to the Cardinals.