2010 Winter Meetings Day Two
10:32 PM CST (Rob G.): Reader QuietMan does it again with this Bruce Levine radio report. Levine speculates that Pena is going to cost around 2/14 with either a 3rd year vesting option or a club option.
- He puts A. Galarragga for Gorzelanny out there.
- Says Chris Davis is a back-up plan if they don't get Pena..
- Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram says the Cubs have interest in Chris Davis but aren't going to give up much.
7:32 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Miles pees all over the Davis/O'Day rumor.
6:05 PM CST (Rob G.): Joe Cowley tweeting some nonsense about Konerko to the Cubs.
6:00 PM CST (Rob G.): Ed Price tweets that a deal is in the works involving Chris Davis and Darren O'Day coming to the Cubs.
And fwiw, I don't believe getting Chris Davis would prevent the Cubs from going after Pena, LaRoche and the like. No way the Cubs are handing him Davis the 1b job. My guess is he's a utility option (as he can play 3b as well) and Rudy Jamarillo project for the future.
4:23 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine radio report thanks to one of our awesome readers.
- Detroit with interest in Gorzelanny (Link from Detroit papers here).
- Ignore the LaRoche talk, Cubs making push for Pena on a 2-year deal with a possible 3rd year option.
Link to ESPN Chicago saying Cubs will meet with Pena's agent again later today.
4:16 PM CST (Rob G.): It seems everyone expects Konerko to sign with the White Sox. Orioles will be "in on" Derrek Lee if the medicals check out.
- Teams are showing interest in Rich Harden, possibly as a reliever.
- Matt Garza is another top starting pitcher that could be moved with the Brewers and Rangers mentioned at the moment.
4:14 PM CST(Rob G.): How I love Wrongway! His last tweet.
Look out for the #Brewers. They're rekindling Matt Garza talks with Rays. Possible deal could include supposedly "untouchable'' Matt Cain.
3:55 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Miles though doubts the Cubs interest in LaRoche.
3:46 PM CST (Rob G.): Scott Miller takes it a step further and says the Cubs would like to close a deal soon with LaRoche.
2:48 PM CST (Rob G.): I guess Carlos Pena is going to be too expensive. Morosi says Cubs are going after Adam LaRoche.
12:31 PM CST (Rob G.): The Cubs and Webb's representatives have a meeting scheduled this afternoon according to Jerry Crasnick.
12:21 PM CST (Rob G.): Some nuggets from Bruce Levine's chat.
- Colvin is Plan B if the Cubs don't find a first basemen they like. Even if they do, Colvin will work on the position to give Quade some flexibility during the season.
- Fukudome is on the block, but only if Hendry knows he's getting another left-handed bat, either in the trade or ready to sign.
- The Cubs have talked relievers with Toronto and Texas with Jason Frasor's name coming up. There seems to be a Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos deal that would work for both teams but the Cubs want to expand it and get a major league reliever in exchange for adding a starting pitcher to the deal.
- Gorzelanny can be had, but only if the Cubs have a deal in place for another starting pitcher.
11:30AM CT (Cubnut): Rosenthal mentions "Kerry Wood" and "White Sox" together. Yeechhh! KR says Yankees also still interested in Kid K but won't deal with it until after Cliff Lee lands.
Day 2 of Operation .500
- The guy who voted for 2 Pirates in the Rookie of the Year voting this year is saying the Cubs are shopping Tom Gorzelanny "aggressively". I think in rumor speak that means Hendry called at least 2 other GM's.
- Hendry met with Scott Boras last night and brought his muscle with him, Greg Maddux. It's assumed they chatted about Carlos Pena, but don't forget Xavier Nady is his client too. I thought I'd put that thought in your head....Merry 'Effin Christmas!
- The same article says Cubs also have Adam LaRoche and Lyle Overbay on their radar.
- Brandon Webb is being courted by the Nats, Cubs and Pirates. The Cubs have been in talks with the Blue Jays, Rangers and Reds as well with only Chris Davis's name being mentioned.
Didn't see the game, but it sounded like the Cubs gave away 2 runs with poor fielding. Bummer.
Well, it's been a fun diet of Reds, Brewers and Braves, but now the Cubs have to play real teams in May (Pirates, Nationals, SF, Cards and Dodgers) -- hope we are all still smiling when we wake up on Memorial Day.
He does seem out of synch. His body seems to start forward, then his arms sort of try to catch up -- if that's his normal swing, he will never hit for power. It's an all-arms slasher swing, but the timing seems off.
He is currently slugging .256 -- I realize the weather has been bad, but that's epically bad. Currently 92nd out of 94 qualified NL batters. Yikes.
Weird home stand -- 3-1, with 2 rainouts, vs. two teams that will lose 100 games. Feels oddly disappointing.
Miserable baseball weather all week -- hopefully better weather will get the bats going. Not just walking, but actually hitting.
That strike call on LaSterlla was terrible
I was hearing some talk that John Mallee is trying to change Heyward's swing. Wonder if that is lending itself to the slow start.
at least it wasn't a "nobody showed up" stomping.
anytime you wanna jumpstart your season would be nice, heyward.
Now looming VERY large. Game tied.
That Braves TOOTBLAN trying to stretch a double into a triple is looming very large.
Phil, do you know if Victorino has an opt out date approaching? Thanks.
Maybe he can even fall asleep/passout at a red light. #cardinalway
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.