2010 Winter Meetings Day Two
10:32 PM CST (Rob G.): Reader QuietMan does it again with this Bruce Levine radio report. Levine speculates that Pena is going to cost around 2/14 with either a 3rd year vesting option or a club option.
- He puts A. Galarragga for Gorzelanny out there.
- Says Chris Davis is a back-up plan if they don't get Pena..
- Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram says the Cubs have interest in Chris Davis but aren't going to give up much.
7:32 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Miles pees all over the Davis/O'Day rumor.
6:05 PM CST (Rob G.): Joe Cowley tweeting some nonsense about Konerko to the Cubs.
6:00 PM CST (Rob G.): Ed Price tweets that a deal is in the works involving Chris Davis and Darren O'Day coming to the Cubs.
And fwiw, I don't believe getting Chris Davis would prevent the Cubs from going after Pena, LaRoche and the like. No way the Cubs are handing him Davis the 1b job. My guess is he's a utility option (as he can play 3b as well) and Rudy Jamarillo project for the future.
4:23 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine radio report thanks to one of our awesome readers.
- Detroit with interest in Gorzelanny (Link from Detroit papers here).
- Ignore the LaRoche talk, Cubs making push for Pena on a 2-year deal with a possible 3rd year option.
Link to ESPN Chicago saying Cubs will meet with Pena's agent again later today.
4:16 PM CST (Rob G.): It seems everyone expects Konerko to sign with the White Sox. Orioles will be "in on" Derrek Lee if the medicals check out.
- Teams are showing interest in Rich Harden, possibly as a reliever.
- Matt Garza is another top starting pitcher that could be moved with the Brewers and Rangers mentioned at the moment.
4:14 PM CST(Rob G.): How I love Wrongway! His last tweet.
Look out for the #Brewers. They're rekindling Matt Garza talks with Rays. Possible deal could include supposedly "untouchable'' Matt Cain.
3:55 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Miles though doubts the Cubs interest in LaRoche.
3:46 PM CST (Rob G.): Scott Miller takes it a step further and says the Cubs would like to close a deal soon with LaRoche.
2:48 PM CST (Rob G.): I guess Carlos Pena is going to be too expensive. Morosi says Cubs are going after Adam LaRoche.
12:31 PM CST (Rob G.): The Cubs and Webb's representatives have a meeting scheduled this afternoon according to Jerry Crasnick.
12:21 PM CST (Rob G.): Some nuggets from Bruce Levine's chat.
- Colvin is Plan B if the Cubs don't find a first basemen they like. Even if they do, Colvin will work on the position to give Quade some flexibility during the season.
- Fukudome is on the block, but only if Hendry knows he's getting another left-handed bat, either in the trade or ready to sign.
- The Cubs have talked relievers with Toronto and Texas with Jason Frasor's name coming up. There seems to be a Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos deal that would work for both teams but the Cubs want to expand it and get a major league reliever in exchange for adding a starting pitcher to the deal.
- Gorzelanny can be had, but only if the Cubs have a deal in place for another starting pitcher.
11:30AM CT (Cubnut): Rosenthal mentions "Kerry Wood" and "White Sox" together. Yeechhh! KR says Yankees also still interested in Kid K but won't deal with it until after Cliff Lee lands.
Day 2 of Operation .500
- The guy who voted for 2 Pirates in the Rookie of the Year voting this year is saying the Cubs are shopping Tom Gorzelanny "aggressively". I think in rumor speak that means Hendry called at least 2 other GM's.
- Hendry met with Scott Boras last night and brought his muscle with him, Greg Maddux. It's assumed they chatted about Carlos Pena, but don't forget Xavier Nady is his client too. I thought I'd put that thought in your head....Merry 'Effin Christmas!
- The same article says Cubs also have Adam LaRoche and Lyle Overbay on their radar.
- Brandon Webb is being courted by the Nats, Cubs and Pirates. The Cubs have been in talks with the Blue Jays, Rangers and Reds as well with only Chris Davis's name being mentioned.
AZ PHIL: With starters the likes of Edwin Jackson, even Chris Rusin or Michael Bowden could look good on their staff. At best, he is a #5-6. But as always, LH are at a premium.
Sure we would all want consistency. He is not even 24, has played 5 (!) positions this year. Can you imagine what is in his head? He was only a part-time player at 2 spots last year. And THEN think about hitting?? Cut him some slack...You sure are picky lately. First wishing #6 NL RBI guy Russell have a better average, and now an "unncessarily fancy pick". Geez tough crowd!
it's going to be hard to take down scherzer.
kershaw is supposedly coming back soon, though he'll probably need a good amount of deep innings to match up with scherzer...probably too late at this point. tanner roark, bumgarner, and hendricks are probably going to steal some votes along with kershaw.
I absolutely love Javy's game, and I love the way Maddon changed the perception of him as a ballplayer, but I really wish he would just make the routine plays routinely. On the ground ball in the 9th, he made an unnecessarily fancy pick. He made the play, but tried the same thing last night and made an error.
How many wins does Kyle need for serious Cy Young consideration? Would 17 be enough if he leads the league in ERA? My goodness, what a season -- makes a Dartmouth alum proud.
hendricks WHIP drops to 0.98 over 159 innings after throwing 7ip 3h 1bb 4k, 0r/er
ERA down to 2.09 on the season.
I am pretty well fed up with the majority of home plate umps. Just terrible inconsistencies.
Oh shit forgot about that
Shark and Sczur right?
Yes, football player?- check.
If it was 2006 Hendry would be there w a Bible and a contract
he subscribes to my twitter, he's beyond TCR. #yolo #swag
Whoops. Maddon must have been reading TCR (for his daily crunch) and got confused.
kuhl is a righty, not a lefty.
i think maddon might think kuhl is a lefty, too. i wonder what the reasoning is for baez leading off vs a rightie.
"trout's one of the best, and at this point should probably win over donaldson (and should have more MVPs in the past, too), but the defensive aspect of valuing WAR still needs more tweaking...imo."
that's from my 1st post. there's no suck involved in that. maybe with a few less posts about bullshit that point would have jumped out more.