2010 Winter Meetings Day Three
10:30 PM CST (Rob G.): A previous Levine post said Cubs are interested in acquiring Jason Frasor after missing out on him last season. Medical reports on Brandon Webb are in the Cubs doctors hands and Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos is still on the table, but the Cubs want Darren O'Day included in a deal.
10:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Levine says the Rays and Cubs met for a second time since the meetings began, presumably to discuss Garza and that the Cubs "package" was the most attractive. (7th grade chuckle). Brewers and Rangers are also in the mix.
5:18 PM CST (Rob G.): Joel Sherman says the Rays are thus far unsinspired by offers for Garza and will likely wait until July to see if value goes up.
1:56 PM CST (Rob G.): Well at least the Cubs called to ask about Zack Greinke.
1:44 PM CST (Rob G.): There were some multi-year offers out there for Pena with Nats, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays and Braves showing interest. (O's seem to be at least one team that made a multi-year offer and the biggest competition according to Pena).
12:46 PM CST (Rob G.): There it is, $5M to Pena is deferred until January 2012.
12:26 PM CST (Rob G.): Pena press conference updates culled from Twitter.
- Grew up watching the Cubs, cites watching George Bell (~shrug~).
- "To play for the Cubs was my preference...I love the city, my family loves the city, and we have a good chance at winning."
- Boras cited Rudy as one of the reasons they liked the Cubs and confidence that he can help him improve on last season.
- Rumor that Yankees could be going after Mark Prior along with rumors that they'll try and bring back Kerry Wood once the Cliff Lee sweepstakes are over. Yes, Rothschild, Prior and Wood back together again is a looming possibility.
- Trib story says Cubs targets were Pena and Berkman and talk about LaRoche and Loney were overstated. Nats, Blue Jays, Mariners and Orioles made offers or were at least interested. No mention of deferred money from them, although Levine has already put it out there. Also says they're working on trades and still talking to Brandon Webb.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine chat excerpts:
- Says Cubs like Garza and have young talent Rays are seeking, although Archer and B. Jackson seem safe from being moved.
- Chris Davis is still in the mix even with the Pena signing.
- Mentions deferred money in Pena deal again, but no specifics.
- Cubs still high on Vitters (as they should be).
To the rumor cave...
- With Pena about to be signed, look for the Cubs to intensify trying to move Fukudome and giving Colvin the everyday job.
- Same report from Levine suggests the Cubs are making a push for Matt Garza. (Claps hands like a cymbal playing monkey). Here's a more proper link to the story.
Today's Loss puts new meaning into their national anthem: O Canada
I'm sure Fox is thrilled with the ratings potential of a Rangers + Astros ALCS. Ha.
LaTroy is going to LaTroy
If the Cubs game goes to 14 innings, I will no longer be calm.
TEX/TOR in the 14th inning, btw...fun stuff.
Yay! KB at 3B!
Molina in the Cards lineup.
If the baseball gods would guarantee that result, I'd take it :-).
You have angered the baseball gods. Now Lester will lose and Hendricks will win.
So, yes, I have been quoting your, "mediocre pitcher" label all year in jest - good or bad.
He has been pretty filthy against the Cards, and this is the game they need to "steal".
I am hoping against hope that Pedro Strop only sees the mound if the Cubs are up 8 in a game.