Carlos Marmol doesn't care about ATM fees any more

Carlos Marmol gets a 3-year, $20 million dollar contract.

I like the deal, but...man, what would that feel like?

"Hey Tim, these blog posts have been AWESOME!
Here's $3.2 million dollars for the rest of the year, and next you'll get 7, and then the year after 9.1 to make it an even Twenty Million Dollars."

Of course we've all been hearing about giant contracts forever, but I haven't read or even thought about, really, what it means to the player except they go buy a house in a 'hood you and I can't afford.

What are the details?
Do they give him a $3.2 million dollar check simply dated 2011?
Or does he get to choose his salary structure, so maybe he gets a $62000 check every week?
(I'd SO go with the direct deposit, Carlos.)
Is his "money guy" also his agent? Or does he use, you know, Edward D. Jones?
"Invest in gold. It never loses it's value!"

Of course you'd buy a car.
Maybe hire a fashion assistant.
Would you give old Michael Jordan a call and say, "Lets play 18!" just to see what losing $100 grand in side bets feels like?
(Just kidding, Mr. Commissioner, Carlos Marmol would never do that.)

Anyway, I'm happy for Carlos and happy for Cub Fans.
I liked him even more when he said that he just didn't like arbitration, didn't want to do it.

So, a $3 fee at an ATM for the privilege of taking my money out of a machine.

Even if I take out an even hundo, I always have to stop and do the math to figure percentages: not good for an art guy.

Uhhhhhh... okay 3 over a hundred equals um.... carry the decimal and subtract 97 plus interest squared by HEY WAIT A MINUTE!
THAT'S 3% OF MY MONEY!

Lucky Carlos.
He NEVER has to do that.

Comments

Not to mention, your bank likely charges you two or three bucks as well, so it's like 6% of your money.

I think players get paid twice a week from Feb to November, based on that thing with the Cubs' releiver who got his money sent to someone else's account a few years back. Also Eyre had no cash flow when he got Maddoff'd.

I had a couple of old Cubs player's payroll checks from the 70's and yes, TRN is correct, they are (or at least were then) paid like everyone else, on the 1st and 15th of the month.

here's the latest poop...

Brian Schlitter released by Yankees (for Andruw Jones) and claimed by the Phillies

the Stevie Eyre circle is complete!

gotta love the Lakewood Blueclaws (once the Cape Fear Crocs), get yer "Got Crabs" tee shirt at their online store

No need for this really? Might as well have gone year to year with the guy.

• Meh, I messed that up. Mets are in.

Cards and Giants can still tie though.

Rob G. 54 min 44 sec ago view
  • Kershaw gets hurt by his defense and gave up 2 more runs. Blach has 8 shutout innings.

Mets already won as did Cards.

tomorrow is gonna be helluva fun if Giants hold on. We're all rooting for a 3-way tie I presume.

Rob G. 1 hour 14 min ago view
  • good news is now 5 K's for Lester through 4 (in a quest for 200 for season). Bad news is he's already at 86 pitches.

Rob G. 1 hour 44 min ago view
  • be curious how long Maddon sticks with Lester to try and let offense get back into it and get him the win (4-2 as I type, was 4-0)

Fwiw, he needed 2.1 IP to cross 200 for season so he got that at least. He also needs 9 K's for 200K's on season and he has 4 through 3.

Rob G. 1 hour 50 min ago view
  • cubs score 2 runs thanks to predictable reds pitching and horrible CIN defense...cubs only down by 1 now. heyward even got a gift 2rbi double out of an easy popout. neat.

crunch 1 hour 50 min ago view
  • something named Ty Blach has outpitched Clayton Kershaw through 6 innings (1-0 Giants).

#fuckingbaseball

Rob G. 1 hour 53 min ago view
  • not that finishing 2nd place will matter much nor did this game, but have to think if Hendricks pitches well tomorrow, he could leapfrog Lester in Cy Young voting. Don't see anyway Scherzer doesn't win it regardless and it doesnt' look like Lester has any incentive clauses that matter. Also might give Cueto some votes.

Rather remarkable how many teams have really good 1-2 options this year.

Nats: Scherzer and Roark (and Strasburg was great before injuries)

Cubs: Lester and Hendricks (and Arrietta is still damn good just not as consistently lately)

Rob G. 2 hours 19 sec ago view
  • pretty much what I'm gathering from this thread is that it doesn't matter who you play in  5-game series, but no one wants to have to deal with Cardinal fans if we end up losing.

I can respect that.

• first game for lester giving up more than 2 runs since july 24th. hell of a run.

• doh, yes...dunno what happened there. jake arrieta is all "bro wut?"

• lester going for #20...cubs haven't had a LH (thanks jpep for the correction) 20 game winner since d.ellsworth in 1963.

• fwiw, all the games are free on mlb.tv

• Short rest for MadBum would be 2 days. WC game is Wed., Games 1 & 2 are Friday/Saturday.

• A left-handed one...

JoePepitone 5 hours 20 min ago view
  • J-Hey not finishing with an offensive onslaught.

If Geoff Blum could be a Playoff hero, there is hope still...

• Giants scare me. I think you're wrong about Bumgarner, he would pitch on short rest for Game 2 and then full rest for Game 5. Cueto would go Game 1, then short rest in game 4. Add in some really tough outs in that lineup and I want nothing to do with them. With that rotation they can easily steal a series.

Cards are a tough matchup. The rivalry evens out their comparable lack of talent. And like someone said, they love HRs, which is how to beat the Cubs. The upside is that I would feel really good about Lester twice against STL.

John Beasley 9 hours 55 min ago view