Carlos Marmol doesn't care about ATM fees any more

Carlos Marmol gets a 3-year, $20 million dollar contract.

I like the deal, but...man, what would that feel like?

"Hey Tim, these blog posts have been AWESOME!
Here's $3.2 million dollars for the rest of the year, and next you'll get 7, and then the year after 9.1 to make it an even Twenty Million Dollars."

Of course we've all been hearing about giant contracts forever, but I haven't read or even thought about, really, what it means to the player except they go buy a house in a 'hood you and I can't afford.

What are the details?
Do they give him a $3.2 million dollar check simply dated 2011?
Or does he get to choose his salary structure, so maybe he gets a $62000 check every week?
(I'd SO go with the direct deposit, Carlos.)
Is his "money guy" also his agent? Or does he use, you know, Edward D. Jones?
"Invest in gold. It never loses it's value!"

Of course you'd buy a car.
Maybe hire a fashion assistant.
Would you give old Michael Jordan a call and say, "Lets play 18!" just to see what losing $100 grand in side bets feels like?
(Just kidding, Mr. Commissioner, Carlos Marmol would never do that.)

Anyway, I'm happy for Carlos and happy for Cub Fans.
I liked him even more when he said that he just didn't like arbitration, didn't want to do it.

So, a $3 fee at an ATM for the privilege of taking my money out of a machine.

Even if I take out an even hundo, I always have to stop and do the math to figure percentages: not good for an art guy.

Uhhhhhh... okay 3 over a hundred equals um.... carry the decimal and subtract 97 plus interest squared by HEY WAIT A MINUTE!
THAT'S 3% OF MY MONEY!

Lucky Carlos.
He NEVER has to do that.

Comments

Not to mention, your bank likely charges you two or three bucks as well, so it's like 6% of your money.

I think players get paid twice a week from Feb to November, based on that thing with the Cubs' releiver who got his money sent to someone else's account a few years back. Also Eyre had no cash flow when he got Maddoff'd.

I had a couple of old Cubs player's payroll checks from the 70's and yes, TRN is correct, they are (or at least were then) paid like everyone else, on the 1st and 15th of the month.

here's the latest poop...

Brian Schlitter released by Yankees (for Andruw Jones) and claimed by the Phillies

the Stevie Eyre circle is complete!

gotta love the Lakewood Blueclaws (once the Cape Fear Crocs), get yer "Got Crabs" tee shirt at their online store

No need for this really? Might as well have gone year to year with the guy.

• Martinez is one of my least favorite pitchers in baseball. I'd love to see a game like yesterday's against him.

Send Soler down!

Old and Blue 12 min 7 sec ago view
  • Awesome thanks AZ

Old and Blue 14 min 24 sec ago view
  • Great report, Phil! This organization has so many hitters to be excited about.

John Beasley 1 hour 4 min ago view
  • Ben Zobrist is very enjoyable to watch!!!!!!

Hagsag 3 hours 52 min ago view
  • given that he seems to only be throwing low 90s these days rather than the 93-96mph he used to throw, along with his wildness issues this year, he may end up passing through.

i dunno if something is wrong with him physically or his past shoulder issues has rendered him what he currently is, but he's been throwing a lot of sliders he can't control well and his fastball isn't as sharp. even when his slider wasn't working in a game he was still throwing a lot of them.

• Any scuttlebutt on where Neil Ramirez gets traded?

He seems better than some of the relievers on competitive teams. He ought to bring more than the waiver fee.

My guess? Toronto.

tim815 5 hours 28 min ago view
  • PHIL: It seems as if Paniagua has always played 1B with the Cubs. At 6'2 and 180#, what is his frame like? String bean? Have you seen him bulk up? Where do you project him? Thanks.

• Phil, what's your thoughts on which position players are going to Eugene and who is staying in AZL?

azbobbop 9 hours 33 min ago view
  • Ahhh...way to bring me down BB.

Still - a win tomorrow will be an acheivement regardless.

• Don't mean to spoil your mood, but with tonight's win the are 3-5 on the trip with one to play.

While I'm bringing the room down -- Richard comes in to pitch the 9th with a 12-1 lead...and can't finish the game. Woof.

• jacos 10 hours 54 min ago view
  • It is remarkable how my mood has become uplifted with one game against the Cards.

That is sick.

But, I have been an addict for a long time.

A W tomorrow and it will be a .500 road trip.

Also, to keep the losses in perspective, if the Cubs were to lose 10 games a month - a lot at this current pace - they still end up 102-60. Six months of the ride!

• So, the Mesa Cubs should be solid this summer in the AZL Rookie League?

And, I like the, "But did you know" lead in there. Something a little different.

I can tell really like this group of hitters in AZ right now.

What pitchers out there, other than Cease, should we be excited about?

Thanks as always for the info.

Childersb3 11 hours 43 min ago view
  • back on the Run Differential hunt... (aka The Hunt for Blue October)

Cubster 12 hours 12 min ago view
  • These are the 2016 Cubs I know and love. Also digging that Cardinals OF (lack of) defense.

• Another day, another eight runs

jacos 12 hours 44 min ago view