Cubs and Astros Postpone Two Games

The Cubs will get at least a two game rest after tonight thanks to Hurricane Ike bearing down on the Texas coast. There were thoughts of moving Friday's night game up to a day game and then likely a doubleheader on Sunday. Now it seems like they'll try and get a doubleheader on either Sunday or Monday and one game in on the other day with both teams having a scheduled off day Monday.

So barring any more rainouts, it looks like Saturday will be the last Cubs off day of the regular season. I'm sure Lou will tweak his rotation accordingly and it will likely mean another Sean Marshall start.

Comments

Home and away games now (supposedly) available for all games.

Finally.

It looks like only for the premium... Unless I am missing something.

it is...didn't notice that at first but since I have the premium it wasn't a big deal. Hopefully they add it for everyone next year.

tonight's matchups include Zack Duke vs Roy Oswalt

...so even adding games to the monday schedule means we will not see him vs Astros.

So now Zambrano will miss the Brewers next week. Damn you, Ike.

How about this:

Sunday DH: Zambrano/Marquis
Monday: Marshall
Tuesday: Dempster
Wednesday: Harden
Thursday: Lilly

What a mess. The 3 starters in the first MIL series will track to pitch the 3 games in the second MIL series, so it's like one of those logic puzzles.

Parachat for the brewcrew/phils?

I thurr

• Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 2 hours 54 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 4 hours 16 sec ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 4 hours 26 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 4 hours 53 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 6 hours 22 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 7 hours 56 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 9 hours 36 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 9 hours 38 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 9 hours 40 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 9 hours 42 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 9 hours 50 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 9 hours 52 min ago view