If you rebuild it, will they come back?

Wrigley vacanciesOn day five of single game ticket sales yesterday it was still possible to buy four seats together for Opening Day.

I suspect the Ricketts gang has taken notice of the fact that spit and polished pee troughs are trumped by a 5th place team and 9% unemployment when folks sit down in February to calculate whether or not they can afford $72 bleacher tickets come summertime.

There are other causes for concern as the bean counters contemplate the 2011 schedule and project the team's prospects at the turnstiles.

The two months with the highest number of home games are April and May with 15 and 17, respectively. Not only is the weather at its poorest then, but the early returns on advance ticket sales indicate that fans are taking a wait and see approach on this year’s edition rather than banking that Mike Quade’s 24-13 audition last year was an accurate forecast of the 2011 winning percentage.

The Yankee series is the only one at home over a weekend in June.

Attendance at the first two exhibition games was spotty. Unseasonable weather may be an early factor there, but even subpar Arizona weather is likely to far surpass whatever awaits in Chicago in April and May before Wrigley has a chance to put her face on.

Has the Cub/Wrigley Field brand peaked? It appears right now that the baseball business headquartered at Clark & Addison is in danger of having its streak of three million-plus attendance seasons snapped at seven.

If that happens will the storm sewers outside the Addison Red Line station be able to handle the flood of scalpers’ tears?

Comments

That's what happens when one of the worst teams in MLB has the most expensive tickets in all of MLB.

Screw the Rickii.

you mean the Ticketts family?

Well played Mr. Wellman, well played.

There are few feelings that I enjoy more than approaching a pack of scalpers around the bottom of the 2nd of a low-attendance game and demonstrating the power of a buyer's market. If they're going to take their profits during the good years, then I'm going to eat their lunches in, say, 2011.

On that note, more Tuesday games v. Pittsburgh please.

I can't speak for everyone, but I bought tickets every year using the waiting room bullshit, but not this year. I think I'd rather have a root canal than sit around for hours watching my browser refresh.

I couldn't help but feel that WrigleyFieldPremiumTickets had first dibs and I was an afterthought, so f**k it. I'll watch them lose a game at Great America Ballpark instead.

The only thing that's peaked is greed. You can't raise ticket prices every single year and expect people to keep coming back forever. Not only have they continued to raise ticket prices during losing years, but they're diminishing the traditional "Wrigley experience" by erecting dumbass Toyota signs and assaulting our eardrums with Luna jingles and Miley Cyrus instead of the dulcet tones of Gary Pressey's organ.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole Ricketts clan can get f*cked.

And while they keep raising ticket prices and cutting payroll, refusing to put out a halfway decent team, they keep running stupid f-ing ads in the Chicago area about Wrigley Field, and the tradition of Wrigley Field, and come see beautiful Wrigley Field. Not one word that baseball is supposed to be played there. The team itself is taking a backseat under the Ticketts family (to borrow Mike W.'s wonderful saying), and they're insulting actual baseball fans by advertising to the people who only want a nice day in the park.

News flash to Ticketts: the core Cubs fans are Cubs fans. Wrigley is beautiful, but we want a baseball team that can win. The Yankees and Red Sox can charge crazy prices for tickets because they keep putting the money into the roster. If they need help at a position they trade for it or sign a free agent, while the Cubs cry wolf and shop off the scrap heap.

...nice mouse rollover comment on the picture up top.

On that RF bleach picture you are showing a half empty family section.

No one in their right mind would watch bad Cub baseball sober.

family section used to be in extreme LF but they moved it around the LF pole...the pic is of the 'bleacher box' section where you can get reserved bleacher seats instead of the 'first come/first serve' GA that prevails in rest of bleachers...

I stand corrected.

down in front!

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

• When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 3 hours 20 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 3 hours 21 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 3 hours 22 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 3 hours 41 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

• they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 3 hours 58 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 4 hours 33 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 5 hours 47 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 7 hours 24 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.