Marmol and Berg Make Pilgrimage to Fitch
Carlos Marmol threw a nine-pitch 1-2-3 1st inning (K, F-9, P-5), Jose Valdez singled, tripled, stole two bases, scored two runs, and drove-in another, and D. J. Fitzgerald clubbed a two-run HR onto 8th Steeet, leading the Daytona Cubs to a 4-1 victory over the Inland Empire 66ers (Angels Advanced Class “A” affiliate) on Field #3, while Justin Berg allowed three runs on two hits and two walks in his one inning of work, as the Cedar Rapids Kernels (Angels Class “A” affiliate) drubbed the Peoria Chiefs 9-1 on Field #2, in Cactus League Minor League action at Fitch Park this afternoon.
Marmol and Berg had their scheduled outings rained-out yesterday, which is why both threw in games at Minor League Camp today.
Cubs 2010 7th round draft pick RHP Ben Wells (Bryant HS – Bryant, AR) was the most impressive pitcher at Fitch Park today, following Berg to the mound on Field #2 and throwing three shutout innings for Peoria, allowing just an infield hit, a bunt single, and a walk, while striking out two, and doing it all on just 29 pitches.
Conversely, RHP Tarlandus Mitchell had a very poor outing for Peoria, getting just one out while allowing a single and walking the bases loaded before getting pulled from the game. Although he throws in the mid-90's, the 5'8 Mitchell has struggled with his control since signing with the Cubs and has yet to pitch in a full-season league.
Pitching for Daytona on Field #2, RHP Justin Bristow (2008 5th round draft pick out of East Carolina) saw his first game action since 2009 (he missed all of last season with an elbow injury), loading the bases on a double and two walks before being relieved without retiring a batter.
Cuban defector Rubi Silva played CF for Peoria today and drew two walks. He also grounded out twice. The 21-year old lefty hitting Silva played for the Cuban Junior National Team prior to defecting, and he is very fast and a Gold Glove caliber CF with a plus-arm. He received a reported $1M bonus when he signed with the Cubs in December.
After a work-out on Field #4, several players from the Extended Spring Training squad (3B Wilson Contreras, OF Reggie Golden, SS Marco Hernandez, and C Brian Inoa) got some late game action with Peoria or Daytona, and two others (OF Xavier Batista and INF Gioskar Amaya) traveled with the Tennessee and Iowa squads to the AA and AAA road games at Tempe Diablo Park. Catcher Hector Suarez, INF Vismeldy Bieneme, and outfielders Dong-Yub Kim, Blair Springfield, and Oliver Zapata were on the bench at Fitch Park but did not play. (Position players from Extended Spring Training are used as late-inning replacements in the minor league games).
Catcher Yaniel Cabeza (another defector from the Cuban Junior National team who signed with the Cubs in December), 1B Richard Jones, 2B Pin-Chieh Chen, ex-Villanova football star Matt Szczur, and OF Kyung-Min Na are assigned to the Peoria squad but did not play today, and catcher Chad Noble is the only position player assigned to Daytona who did not play today. (Cabeza and Noble were the bullpen catchers for their respective squads today).
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
FIELD #2 (CLASS “A” - Peoria vs. Cedar Rapids)
1. Rubi Silva, CF: 0-2 (BB, 4-3, BB, 4-3)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 1-4 (F-8, 1B, F-7, 5-3, R, SB)
3a. Anthony Giansanti, RF: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, 5-3)
3b. Brian Inoa, PH 0-1 (F-7)
4a. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 4-3 FC, 1B, RBI)
4b. Wilson Contreras, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
5a. Chris Huseby, DH-LF: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B)
5b. Reggie Golden, PH: 0-1 (1-3)
6. Max Kwan, C-DH: 1-3 (P-4, 1B, 4-6 FC)
7. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-2 (4-3 GIDP, L-9, HBP)
8. Wes Darvill, 2B: 0-3 (F-9, 3-U, 3-1)
9. Cody Shields, LF-DH: 0-3 (5-3, K, F-8)
10. Johan DeJesus, DH-C: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, 6-3)
1. Justin Berg: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (13 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Ben Wells: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 29 pitches (18 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
3. Jeffry Antigua: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 33 pitches (23 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO,
4. Robinson Lopez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 19 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO)
5. Tarlandus Mitchell: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 4 R ( 2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 BALK, 25 pitches (9 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
6. Larry Suarez: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (17strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
PEORIA ERRORS: 2
1B Ryan Cuneo: E-3 – errant throw to pitcher covering 1st base
2B Wes Darvill: E-4 – dropped pop fly
PEORIA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Max Kwan: 1-3 CS
PEORIA OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Anthony Giansanti threw out baserunner 9-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on single
FIELD #3 (CLASS “A” ADVANCED - Daytona vs. Inland Empire)
1. Evan Crawford, DH-CF: 1-4 (6-3, 5-3, 3-U, 2B)
2a. Dustin Harrington, 2B: 0-3 (P-4, K, F-9)
2b. Pierre LePage, 2B: 0-1 (P-5)
3. Matt Cerda, 3B-DH: 0-3 (BB, 1-3, 4-3, F-8)
4. Justin Bour, 1B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-8, BB)
5. Greg Rohan, DH-3B: 0-4 (K, K, 5-3, F-9)
6a. Francisco Guzman, CF: 0-1 (HBP, 6-3)
6b. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-2 (F-8, 6-4-3 GIDP)
7a. Sergio Burruel, C: 1-2 (1B, 4-3)
7b. Micah Gibbs, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
8. Jose Valdez, RF-DH: 2-3 (F-7, 1B, 3B, 2 R, RBI, 2 SB)
9a. Elliot Soto, SS: 0-0 (BB, F-8 SF, RBI)
9b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-1 (K)
10a. Alvaro Ramirez, LF: 0-2 (F-8, 5-3)
10b. D. J. Fitzgerald, LF: 1-1 (HR, R, 2 RBI)
1. Carlos Marmol: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (6 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
2. Graham Hicks: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 34 pitches (20 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Justin Bristow: 0.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 16 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Marcus Hatley: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 22 pitches (18 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO)
5. Danny Keefe: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 25 pitches (16 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
6. Jordan Latham: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 11 pitches (6 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
DAYTONA ERRORS: NONE
DAYTONA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Sergio Burruel: 1-5 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, with temperatures in the 70’s
Classic Scully - great stuff.
Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)
Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:
"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."
When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.
If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.
bryant 2nd HR of the night for a 2 run lead in the 10th? sure, why not. awesome.
gawd...jansen's thrown 5 pitches in the past 5 minutes.
wild pitch (and a K, boo) with heyward advancing! 1 out, heyward on 3rd.
HEYWARD SCORES ON A 2nd WILD PITCH! TIE!
leadoff double (heyward!) top of the 9th...RALLY!
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
Schwarber is worse right?
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon