Marshall Plan Works to Perfection at Fitch
Brandon Watson (signed yesterday after getting released by the White Sox earlier in the week) doubled, tripled, and collected two RBI, Fernando Perez (just demoted from big league camp) singled, doubled, scored a run, and knocked-in two others, and Blake Lalli tripled and singled, scored a run, and drove-in another, helping the Iowa Cubs mount a fierce five-run 8th inning rally to close a 6-0 deficit to just one run, but Watson was left stranded at 3rd when Scott Moore and Matt Spencer struck out (Moore looking and Spencer swinging) and Ty Wright popped out to RF, and the Salt Lake Bees (Angels AAA affiliate) hung-on to edge the I-Cubs 6-5 on Field #3, while over on Field #2, Cubs LHRP Sean Marshall (sent to Minor League Camp to get work) threw a 13-pitch 1-2-3 1st inning (F-9, 5-3, F-9), Ryan Flaherty and Rebel Ridling hammered solo home runs (Flaherty’s a towering 450-foot job over the “Green Monster” Batter’s Eye in dead CF), and Nate Samson reached base three times (a triple, a single, and a walk) and drove-in two runs, leading the Tennessee Smokies to a 4-1 nine-inning victory over the Arkansas Travelers (Angels AA affiliate) on Field #2 (although the game was extended an extra half-inning to allow LHP Chris Siegfried to pitch his pre-scheduled inning--bumped to extra innings when Sean Marshall arrived, and the Travelers scored four runs in the top of the 10th), in Cactus League Minor League action at Fitch Park this afternoon
LHP Brooks Raley and RHP Rob Whitenack followed Marshall to the mound on Field #2, and both had impressive three-inning outings.
After a work-out on Field #4, several players from the Boise/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) squad (SS Wes Darvill—just demoted to Boise/Mesa from Peoria, and outfielders Blair Springfield, Dong-Yub Kim, Xavier Batista, and Oliver Zapata) saw some late game action with Tennessee or Iowa. (Players from the Boise/Mesa Extended Spring Training group are used as late inning replacements in Minor League Spring Training games).
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
FIELD #2 (CLASS AA – Tennessee Smokies vs. Arkansas Travelers)
1a. Brett Jackson, CF-DH: 0-3 (3-1, K, 5-3)
1b. Wes Darvill, PH-SS: 0-1 (E6)
2. D. J. Lemahieu, DH #1: 0-4 (F-8, 5-3, 4-3, 4-3)
3a. Josh Vitters, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, K, F-8)
3b. Blair Springfield, CF: 0-1 (F-7)
4a. Michael Burgess, RF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, K)
4b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH-RF: 1-1 (1B)
5a. Rebel Ridling, 1B: 1-3 (L-9 DP, K, HR, R, RBI)
5b. Xavier Batista, PH-1B: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
6a. Ryan Flaherty, SS: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
6b. David Macias, PH-2B: 0-2 (4-3, 3-U)
7a. Michael Brenly, C: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-7)
7b. Mario Mercedes, C: 0-1 (F-7)
8. Kyler Burke, LF-CF-DH: 2-3 (1B, F-7, 2B, 2 R)
9a. Brooks Raley DH #2: 0-0 (2-4 SH)
9b. Smaily Borges, PH-LF: 1-2 (F-8, 1B)
10. Nate Samson, 2B-SS-3B: 2-2 (3B, BB, 1B, 2 RBI, PO)
1. Sean Marshall: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
2. Brooks Raley: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 37 pitches (25 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
3. Rob Whitenack: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 37 pitches (28 strikes), 7/1 GO/FO
4. Aaron Shafer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 15 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Mike Perconte: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 9 pitches (5 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
6. Chris Siegfried: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 17 pitches (13 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
SS Wes Darvill: E-6 – two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base – eventually scored unearned run
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Michael Brenly: 0-1 CS, 1 PO
2. Mario Mercedes: 0-2 CS
FIELD #3 (CLASS AAA – Iowa Cubs vs Salt Lake Bees)
1. Fernando Perez, CF: 2-4 (1B, L-5, K, 2B, R, 2 RBI, CS)
2. Brandon Watson, LF: 2-4 (4-3, 1-3, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI)
3. Scott Moore, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, 3-U, BB, K)
4. Matt Spencer, RF: 0-4 (K, K, F-9, K)
5. Ty Wright, DH: 0-4 (F-8, P-4, K, F-9)
6. Bobby Scales, 3B: 1-4 (K, F-9, 2B, 3-U, R)
7a. Blake Lalli, C: 2-4 (1-3, 4-3, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
7b. Oliver Zapata, PR: NO AB
8. Matt Camp, SS: 0-3 (1-3, P-6, BB, L-5, R)
9. Jonathan Mota, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, BB, K, R)
1. Austin Bibens-Dirkx: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 71 pitches (44 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Polin Trinidad: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 41 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Luke Sommer: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 16 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. John Gaub: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 18 pitches (13 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
5. Chris Carpenter: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
IOWA ERRORS: 2
1. SS Matt Camp E-6 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
2. 3B Bobby Scales E-5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
WEATHER: Sunny, with temperatures in the 70’s
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌👌🎩👓🎩👍🎩👓🎩👍🎩 euphoric logic !euphoric loGic👌 thats ✔ some euphoric👌💻 logic right👌💻there👌👍👌 Carl 🔭 Sagan🌌💫if i do ƽaү so gentlemen 💯 i say so 💯 thats euPhoric logic right there Richard 📒 Dawkins🎩 (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👓👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌🎩 👌 💯 👌 👓🎩🎩🎩 👍👌euphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 john cena JOhN cEna
You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.
my current job has me coming in at 7am (eastern)...i miss staying up til 2am to watch west coast games.
Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?
Taboola field is more appropriate.
we can only hope...
The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.
I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.
unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....
@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.
that was a very kind 3rd strike to hendricks to end the 3rd.
man on 3rd, 0 outs and got 2 pop-ups and a K...Maddux-lite indeed