Marshall Plan Works to Perfection at Fitch
Brandon Watson (signed yesterday after getting released by the White Sox earlier in the week) doubled, tripled, and collected two RBI, Fernando Perez (just demoted from big league camp) singled, doubled, scored a run, and knocked-in two others, and Blake Lalli tripled and singled, scored a run, and drove-in another, helping the Iowa Cubs mount a fierce five-run 8th inning rally to close a 6-0 deficit to just one run, but Watson was left stranded at 3rd when Scott Moore and Matt Spencer struck out (Moore looking and Spencer swinging) and Ty Wright popped out to RF, and the Salt Lake Bees (Angels AAA affiliate) hung-on to edge the I-Cubs 6-5 on Field #3, while over on Field #2, Cubs LHRP Sean Marshall (sent to Minor League Camp to get work) threw a 13-pitch 1-2-3 1st inning (F-9, 5-3, F-9), Ryan Flaherty and Rebel Ridling hammered solo home runs (Flaherty’s a towering 450-foot job over the “Green Monster” Batter’s Eye in dead CF), and Nate Samson reached base three times (a triple, a single, and a walk) and drove-in two runs, leading the Tennessee Smokies to a 4-1 nine-inning victory over the Arkansas Travelers (Angels AA affiliate) on Field #2 (although the game was extended an extra half-inning to allow LHP Chris Siegfried to pitch his pre-scheduled inning--bumped to extra innings when Sean Marshall arrived, and the Travelers scored four runs in the top of the 10th), in Cactus League Minor League action at Fitch Park this afternoon
LHP Brooks Raley and RHP Rob Whitenack followed Marshall to the mound on Field #2, and both had impressive three-inning outings.
After a work-out on Field #4, several players from the Boise/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) squad (SS Wes Darvill—just demoted to Boise/Mesa from Peoria, and outfielders Blair Springfield, Dong-Yub Kim, Xavier Batista, and Oliver Zapata) saw some late game action with Tennessee or Iowa. (Players from the Boise/Mesa Extended Spring Training group are used as late inning replacements in Minor League Spring Training games).
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
FIELD #2 (CLASS AA – Tennessee Smokies vs. Arkansas Travelers)
1a. Brett Jackson, CF-DH: 0-3 (3-1, K, 5-3)
1b. Wes Darvill, PH-SS: 0-1 (E6)
2. D. J. Lemahieu, DH #1: 0-4 (F-8, 5-3, 4-3, 4-3)
3a. Josh Vitters, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, K, F-8)
3b. Blair Springfield, CF: 0-1 (F-7)
4a. Michael Burgess, RF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, K)
4b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH-RF: 1-1 (1B)
5a. Rebel Ridling, 1B: 1-3 (L-9 DP, K, HR, R, RBI)
5b. Xavier Batista, PH-1B: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
6a. Ryan Flaherty, SS: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
6b. David Macias, PH-2B: 0-2 (4-3, 3-U)
7a. Michael Brenly, C: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-7)
7b. Mario Mercedes, C: 0-1 (F-7)
8. Kyler Burke, LF-CF-DH: 2-3 (1B, F-7, 2B, 2 R)
9a. Brooks Raley DH #2: 0-0 (2-4 SH)
9b. Smaily Borges, PH-LF: 1-2 (F-8, 1B)
10. Nate Samson, 2B-SS-3B: 2-2 (3B, BB, 1B, 2 RBI, PO)
1. Sean Marshall: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
2. Brooks Raley: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 37 pitches (25 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
3. Rob Whitenack: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 37 pitches (28 strikes), 7/1 GO/FO
4. Aaron Shafer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 15 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Mike Perconte: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 9 pitches (5 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
6. Chris Siegfried: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 17 pitches (13 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
SS Wes Darvill: E-6 – two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base – eventually scored unearned run
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Michael Brenly: 0-1 CS, 1 PO
2. Mario Mercedes: 0-2 CS
FIELD #3 (CLASS AAA – Iowa Cubs vs Salt Lake Bees)
1. Fernando Perez, CF: 2-4 (1B, L-5, K, 2B, R, 2 RBI, CS)
2. Brandon Watson, LF: 2-4 (4-3, 1-3, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI)
3. Scott Moore, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, 3-U, BB, K)
4. Matt Spencer, RF: 0-4 (K, K, F-9, K)
5. Ty Wright, DH: 0-4 (F-8, P-4, K, F-9)
6. Bobby Scales, 3B: 1-4 (K, F-9, 2B, 3-U, R)
7a. Blake Lalli, C: 2-4 (1-3, 4-3, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
7b. Oliver Zapata, PR: NO AB
8. Matt Camp, SS: 0-3 (1-3, P-6, BB, L-5, R)
9. Jonathan Mota, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, BB, K, R)
1. Austin Bibens-Dirkx: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 71 pitches (44 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Polin Trinidad: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 41 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Luke Sommer: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 16 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. John Gaub: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 18 pitches (13 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
5. Chris Carpenter: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
IOWA ERRORS: 2
1. SS Matt Camp E-6 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
2. 3B Bobby Scales E-5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
WEATHER: Sunny, with temperatures in the 70’s
First team to 60 wins! Onward to 70, 80, 90 and 100!
I. Hate. The. Mets.
OK Marlins -- take 'em down. Fernandez, at home, tomorrow for the Fish.
Gotta say, though -- as much as I can't stand them, the Cardinals have had some very impressive late-inning wins against premier closers.
Very impressive that he hit a 3-2 curve ball. Such a dynamic ballplayer. If he ever learns the strike zone....
If Jason Hammel doesn't get a potato chip sponsorship deal, somebody messed up. Attaboy, Jason!
I am looking forward to AChap facing the Cardinals.
Sure is fun to watch them score finally. To think they were no-hit until the 7th...
Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff
GRAND SLAM RUSSELL
blown the hell open...7 run lead
11 hits off Wainwright tonight. Everything going right for the Cards right now. Motherfucking motherfuckers.
it was more no-doubt than bryant's HR. it wont make any end-of-season highlight reels, but that one was booked to leave on contact.
Javy! Javy! Javy!
How sweet was that - Cranked it!
393 happy feet
cubs take a 2 run lead in the 7th. sweet.
...and the Cards tie and take the lead in the 9th. off Familia.
Familia blows his first save of the season -- gives up 2 in 9th to the Cards.
Not much going our way these days.
no-doubt HR towering to CF...tie game.