Marshall Plan Works to Perfection at Fitch
Brandon Watson (signed yesterday after getting released by the White Sox earlier in the week) doubled, tripled, and collected two RBI, Fernando Perez (just demoted from big league camp) singled, doubled, scored a run, and knocked-in two others, and Blake Lalli tripled and singled, scored a run, and drove-in another, helping the Iowa Cubs mount a fierce five-run 8th inning rally to close a 6-0 deficit to just one run, but Watson was left stranded at 3rd when Scott Moore and Matt Spencer struck out (Moore looking and Spencer swinging) and Ty Wright popped out to RF, and the Salt Lake Bees (Angels AAA affiliate) hung-on to edge the I-Cubs 6-5 on Field #3, while over on Field #2, Cubs LHRP Sean Marshall (sent to Minor League Camp to get work) threw a 13-pitch 1-2-3 1st inning (F-9, 5-3, F-9), Ryan Flaherty and Rebel Ridling hammered solo home runs (Flaherty’s a towering 450-foot job over the “Green Monster” Batter’s Eye in dead CF), and Nate Samson reached base three times (a triple, a single, and a walk) and drove-in two runs, leading the Tennessee Smokies to a 4-1 nine-inning victory over the Arkansas Travelers (Angels AA affiliate) on Field #2 (although the game was extended an extra half-inning to allow LHP Chris Siegfried to pitch his pre-scheduled inning--bumped to extra innings when Sean Marshall arrived, and the Travelers scored four runs in the top of the 10th), in Cactus League Minor League action at Fitch Park this afternoon
LHP Brooks Raley and RHP Rob Whitenack followed Marshall to the mound on Field #2, and both had impressive three-inning outings.
After a work-out on Field #4, several players from the Boise/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) squad (SS Wes Darvill—just demoted to Boise/Mesa from Peoria, and outfielders Blair Springfield, Dong-Yub Kim, Xavier Batista, and Oliver Zapata) saw some late game action with Tennessee or Iowa. (Players from the Boise/Mesa Extended Spring Training group are used as late inning replacements in Minor League Spring Training games).
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
FIELD #2 (CLASS AA – Tennessee Smokies vs. Arkansas Travelers)
1a. Brett Jackson, CF-DH: 0-3 (3-1, K, 5-3)
1b. Wes Darvill, PH-SS: 0-1 (E6)
2. D. J. Lemahieu, DH #1: 0-4 (F-8, 5-3, 4-3, 4-3)
3a. Josh Vitters, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, K, F-8)
3b. Blair Springfield, CF: 0-1 (F-7)
4a. Michael Burgess, RF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, K)
4b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH-RF: 1-1 (1B)
5a. Rebel Ridling, 1B: 1-3 (L-9 DP, K, HR, R, RBI)
5b. Xavier Batista, PH-1B: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
6a. Ryan Flaherty, SS: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
6b. David Macias, PH-2B: 0-2 (4-3, 3-U)
7a. Michael Brenly, C: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-7)
7b. Mario Mercedes, C: 0-1 (F-7)
8. Kyler Burke, LF-CF-DH: 2-3 (1B, F-7, 2B, 2 R)
9a. Brooks Raley DH #2: 0-0 (2-4 SH)
9b. Smaily Borges, PH-LF: 1-2 (F-8, 1B)
10. Nate Samson, 2B-SS-3B: 2-2 (3B, BB, 1B, 2 RBI, PO)
1. Sean Marshall: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
2. Brooks Raley: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 37 pitches (25 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
3. Rob Whitenack: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 37 pitches (28 strikes), 7/1 GO/FO
4. Aaron Shafer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 15 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Mike Perconte: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 9 pitches (5 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
6. Chris Siegfried: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 17 pitches (13 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
SS Wes Darvill: E-6 – two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base – eventually scored unearned run
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Michael Brenly: 0-1 CS, 1 PO
2. Mario Mercedes: 0-2 CS
FIELD #3 (CLASS AAA – Iowa Cubs vs Salt Lake Bees)
1. Fernando Perez, CF: 2-4 (1B, L-5, K, 2B, R, 2 RBI, CS)
2. Brandon Watson, LF: 2-4 (4-3, 1-3, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI)
3. Scott Moore, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, 3-U, BB, K)
4. Matt Spencer, RF: 0-4 (K, K, F-9, K)
5. Ty Wright, DH: 0-4 (F-8, P-4, K, F-9)
6. Bobby Scales, 3B: 1-4 (K, F-9, 2B, 3-U, R)
7a. Blake Lalli, C: 2-4 (1-3, 4-3, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
7b. Oliver Zapata, PR: NO AB
8. Matt Camp, SS: 0-3 (1-3, P-6, BB, L-5, R)
9. Jonathan Mota, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, BB, K, R)
1. Austin Bibens-Dirkx: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 71 pitches (44 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Polin Trinidad: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 41 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Luke Sommer: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 16 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. John Gaub: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 18 pitches (13 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
5. Chris Carpenter: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
IOWA ERRORS: 2
1. SS Matt Camp E-6 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
2. 3B Bobby Scales E-5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
WEATHER: Sunny, with temperatures in the 70’s
I was hearing some talk that John Mallee is trying to change Heyward's swing. Wonder if that is lending itself to the slow start.
at least it wasn't a "nobody showed up" stomping.
anytime you wanna jumpstart your season would be nice, heyward.
Now looming VERY large. Game tied.
That Braves TOOTBLAN trying to stretch a double into a triple is looming very large.
Phil, do you know if Victorino has an opt out date approaching? Thanks.
Maybe he can even fall asleep/passout at a red light. #cardinalway
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.
2016 .607 ops
Plus bad fielding
taylor davis moved to AAA to take the place of that other catcher guy dude person.