D-Cubs & Chiefs Deal with Tourists and Nuts at Fitch Park
Richard Jones blasted a solo HR onto 8th Street and drove in another run with a single and LHP Eric Jokisch (2010 11th round pick out of Nortwestern) threw three shutout innings with five strikeouts, leading the Peoria Chiefs to a 6-3 victory over the Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies Class “A” affiliate) on Field #2, while next-door on Field #3 the Daytona Cubs were cracking the Modesto Nuts (Rockies Advanced “A” affiliate) by a score of 11-4, as Matt Cerda went 3-3 with two runs scored and an RBI, Junior Lake had three hits (a double and two singles), scored one run, and drove in another, and Evan Crawford doubled, singled, stole a base (home), scored twice, and knocked in two runs, in Cactus League Minor League Spring Training action at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ, this afternoon.
Cubs #5 starter Andrew Cashner made his final Arizona start this morning on Field #1, throwing three innings (and getting hammered) in an intrasquad game between the Iowa Cubs and the Tennessee Smokies.
Although they are assigned to the Iowa squad, RHP Blake Parker and Hung-Wen Chen pitched in the Daytona game this afternoon rather than the intrasquad game this morning, because they were bumped by Cashner.
In Minor League Camp roster news, a number of players were released or demoted today:
RELEASED: OF (ex-RHP) Chris Huseby, RHP Mike Perconte, and RHP Aaron Shafer (2008 2nd round draft pick).
IOWA TO TENNESSEE: OF Jim Adduci, RHP Chris Carpenter, C-1B Blake Lalli, LHP Luke Sommer, and OF-1B Matt Spencer.
TENNESSEE TO DAYTONA: C Michael Brenly, OF-1B Michael Burgess, OF Jae-Hoon Ha, RHP Ty’Relle Harris, OF-IF-C David Macias, and RHP Rob Whitenack.
DAYTONA TO PEORIA: RHP Eduardo Figueroa, OF D. J. Fitzgerald, C Micah Gibbs, LHP Eric Jokisch, OF Alvaro Ramirez, and OF Jose Valdez.
PEORIA TO BOISE/MESA (EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING): 2B Pin-Chieh Chen, RHP Dustin Fitzgerald, C Max Kwan, RHP Luis Liria, OF Jesus Morelli, and RHP Alvaro Sosa.
After a work-out on Field #4, several players from the Boise/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) squad (2B Pin-Chieh Chen, 3B Dustin Geiger, SS Dustin Harrington OF Blair Springfield, and OF Oliver Zapata) saw some late game action with Daytona in the game on Field #3. (Players from the Boise/Mesa Extended Spring Training group are often used as late inning replacements in Minor League Spring Training games).
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only), with some of the recently-demoted players in the starting lineups of their new squads:
FIELD #2 (CLASS “A” – Peoria Chiefs vs Asheville Tourists)
1. Rubi Silva, CF: 1-4 (F-7, K, 1-6-3 DP, 1B, PO)
2. Pierre LePage, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, F-9)
3. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 1-4 (K, 6-3, E-3, 3B, SB, R)
4. Richard Jones, 1B: 2-4 (4-3, HR, K, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
5. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-3 (L-9, F-7, BB, 3-U)
6. Anthony Giansanti, 3B: 0-3 (K, 3-1, 1-3, BB, R)
7. Alvaro Ramirez, RF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-U, L-8, R)
8. Elliot Soto, DH #1: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, L-7, BB, R)
9a. Jose Valdez, LF: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-7, RBI)
9b. Kyung-Min Na, LF: 1-1 (1B, 2 RBI)
10. Wes Darvill, DH #2: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, P-6)
1. Eric Jokisch: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 47 pitches (34 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
2. Robinson Lopez: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 46 pitches (26 strikes), 4/3 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (12 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Casey Harman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Yohan Gonzalez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
PEORIA ERRORS: NONE
PEORIA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 1-2 CS
FIELD #3 (ADVANCED CLASS "A” – Daytona Cubs vs Modesto Nuts)
1. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF-DH: 1-5 (3-U, F-9, 1B, L-5, F-8, R, 2 RBI)
2a. Logan Watkins, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, FC, F-9, R, SB)
2b. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 1-1 (3B)
3a. Junior Lake, SS: 3-4 (5-4 FC, 2B, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3b. Dustin Harrington, SS: 0-1 (K)
4a. Justin Bour, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, F-8, BB, RBI)
4b. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-1 (6-3)
5a. Michael Burgess, LF: 0-4 (K, K, K, K)
5b. Blair Springfield, LF: 0-0 (BB)
6a. Nelson Perez, RF: 2-4 (4-3, 1B, 1B, 4-3, 2 R)
6b. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-1 (K)
7a. Michael Brenly, C: 1-2 (L-5, 1B, BB, 2 R)
7b. David Macias, C: 0-2 (L-4, F-8)
8a. Matt Cerda, 3B: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
8b. Jake Opitz, 3B-1B: 0-1 (BB, 6-4 FC)
9. Evan Crawford, DH-CF: 2-4 (2B, 1B, F-9, F-9, 2 R, RBI, SB)
1. Rob Whitenack: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 50 pitches (34 strikes), 7/2 GO/FO
2. Blake Parker: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 15 pitches (11 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
3. Hung-Wen Chen: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Ty’Relle Harris: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Ryan Searle: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
DAYTONA ERRORS: 1:
SS Junior Lake E-6 – fielding error (bobble) allowed batter to reach base safely
DAYTONA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Michael Brenly: 0-2 CS
2. David Macias: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.
Contreras seems pretty adamant he'll play anywhere Madden wants him to so as long as he stays hot and with all the injuries it'll be pretty nice to have yet another bat Madden can move around.
Rizzo in, Zobrist out, Willson in LF, Montero back and Almora batting 9th ... let's score some runs
Time for Mr. Oh to get some save chances.
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Very nice win last nice -- could have caved in after the bottom of the first. It would be OK if guys stopped getting hurt, and if SF would lose a few.