D-Cubs & Chiefs Deal with Tourists and Nuts at Fitch Park
Richard Jones blasted a solo HR onto 8th Street and drove in another run with a single and LHP Eric Jokisch (2010 11th round pick out of Nortwestern) threw three shutout innings with five strikeouts, leading the Peoria Chiefs to a 6-3 victory over the Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies Class “A” affiliate) on Field #2, while next-door on Field #3 the Daytona Cubs were cracking the Modesto Nuts (Rockies Advanced “A” affiliate) by a score of 11-4, as Matt Cerda went 3-3 with two runs scored and an RBI, Junior Lake had three hits (a double and two singles), scored one run, and drove in another, and Evan Crawford doubled, singled, stole a base (home), scored twice, and knocked in two runs, in Cactus League Minor League Spring Training action at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ, this afternoon.
Cubs #5 starter Andrew Cashner made his final Arizona start this morning on Field #1, throwing three innings (and getting hammered) in an intrasquad game between the Iowa Cubs and the Tennessee Smokies.
Although they are assigned to the Iowa squad, RHP Blake Parker and Hung-Wen Chen pitched in the Daytona game this afternoon rather than the intrasquad game this morning, because they were bumped by Cashner.
In Minor League Camp roster news, a number of players were released or demoted today:
RELEASED: OF (ex-RHP) Chris Huseby, RHP Mike Perconte, and RHP Aaron Shafer (2008 2nd round draft pick).
IOWA TO TENNESSEE: OF Jim Adduci, RHP Chris Carpenter, C-1B Blake Lalli, LHP Luke Sommer, and OF-1B Matt Spencer.
TENNESSEE TO DAYTONA: C Michael Brenly, OF-1B Michael Burgess, OF Jae-Hoon Ha, RHP Ty’Relle Harris, OF-IF-C David Macias, and RHP Rob Whitenack.
DAYTONA TO PEORIA: RHP Eduardo Figueroa, OF D. J. Fitzgerald, C Micah Gibbs, LHP Eric Jokisch, OF Alvaro Ramirez, and OF Jose Valdez.
PEORIA TO BOISE/MESA (EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING): 2B Pin-Chieh Chen, RHP Dustin Fitzgerald, C Max Kwan, RHP Luis Liria, OF Jesus Morelli, and RHP Alvaro Sosa.
After a work-out on Field #4, several players from the Boise/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) squad (2B Pin-Chieh Chen, 3B Dustin Geiger, SS Dustin Harrington OF Blair Springfield, and OF Oliver Zapata) saw some late game action with Daytona in the game on Field #3. (Players from the Boise/Mesa Extended Spring Training group are often used as late inning replacements in Minor League Spring Training games).
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only), with some of the recently-demoted players in the starting lineups of their new squads:
FIELD #2 (CLASS “A” – Peoria Chiefs vs Asheville Tourists)
1. Rubi Silva, CF: 1-4 (F-7, K, 1-6-3 DP, 1B, PO)
2. Pierre LePage, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, F-9)
3. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 1-4 (K, 6-3, E-3, 3B, SB, R)
4. Richard Jones, 1B: 2-4 (4-3, HR, K, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
5. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-3 (L-9, F-7, BB, 3-U)
6. Anthony Giansanti, 3B: 0-3 (K, 3-1, 1-3, BB, R)
7. Alvaro Ramirez, RF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-U, L-8, R)
8. Elliot Soto, DH #1: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, L-7, BB, R)
9a. Jose Valdez, LF: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-7, RBI)
9b. Kyung-Min Na, LF: 1-1 (1B, 2 RBI)
10. Wes Darvill, DH #2: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, P-6)
1. Eric Jokisch: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 47 pitches (34 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
2. Robinson Lopez: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 46 pitches (26 strikes), 4/3 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (12 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Casey Harman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Yohan Gonzalez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
PEORIA ERRORS: NONE
PEORIA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 1-2 CS
FIELD #3 (ADVANCED CLASS "A” – Daytona Cubs vs Modesto Nuts)
1. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF-DH: 1-5 (3-U, F-9, 1B, L-5, F-8, R, 2 RBI)
2a. Logan Watkins, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, FC, F-9, R, SB)
2b. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 1-1 (3B)
3a. Junior Lake, SS: 3-4 (5-4 FC, 2B, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3b. Dustin Harrington, SS: 0-1 (K)
4a. Justin Bour, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, F-8, BB, RBI)
4b. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-1 (6-3)
5a. Michael Burgess, LF: 0-4 (K, K, K, K)
5b. Blair Springfield, LF: 0-0 (BB)
6a. Nelson Perez, RF: 2-4 (4-3, 1B, 1B, 4-3, 2 R)
6b. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-1 (K)
7a. Michael Brenly, C: 1-2 (L-5, 1B, BB, 2 R)
7b. David Macias, C: 0-2 (L-4, F-8)
8a. Matt Cerda, 3B: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
8b. Jake Opitz, 3B-1B: 0-1 (BB, 6-4 FC)
9. Evan Crawford, DH-CF: 2-4 (2B, 1B, F-9, F-9, 2 R, RBI, SB)
1. Rob Whitenack: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 50 pitches (34 strikes), 7/2 GO/FO
2. Blake Parker: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 15 pitches (11 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
3. Hung-Wen Chen: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Ty’Relle Harris: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Ryan Searle: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
DAYTONA ERRORS: 1:
SS Junior Lake E-6 – fielding error (bobble) allowed batter to reach base safely
DAYTONA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Michael Brenly: 0-2 CS
2. David Macias: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Didn't see the game, but it sounded like the Cubs gave away 2 runs with poor fielding. Bummer.
Well, it's been a fun diet of Reds, Brewers and Braves, but now the Cubs have to play real teams in May (Pirates, Nationals, SF, Cards and Dodgers) -- hope we are all still smiling when we wake up on Memorial Day.
He does seem out of synch. His body seems to start forward, then his arms sort of try to catch up -- if that's his normal swing, he will never hit for power. It's an all-arms slasher swing, but the timing seems off.
He is currently slugging .256 -- I realize the weather has been bad, but that's epically bad. Currently 92nd out of 94 qualified NL batters. Yikes.
Weird home stand -- 3-1, with 2 rainouts, vs. two teams that will lose 100 games. Feels oddly disappointing.
Miserable baseball weather all week -- hopefully better weather will get the bats going. Not just walking, but actually hitting.
That strike call on LaSterlla was terrible
I was hearing some talk that John Mallee is trying to change Heyward's swing. Wonder if that is lending itself to the slow start.
at least it wasn't a "nobody showed up" stomping.
anytime you wanna jumpstart your season would be nice, heyward.
Now looming VERY large. Game tied.
That Braves TOOTBLAN trying to stretch a double into a triple is looming very large.
Phil, do you know if Victorino has an opt out date approaching? Thanks.
Maybe he can even fall asleep/passout at a red light. #cardinalway
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.